Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415877 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #855 on: February 09, 2008, 11:02:29 PM »
The SHARKS were not losers tonight and scrappy was the name of the game. Lots of scuffles and a bonafide fight. Nabby was in top form and player of the game. Lotsa action in both goals.
JR is my hero. During the pregame skate, he tossed each of my little cats a puck and I'm certain his wink was to me. We had a "poster" of him, same as my avatar, and I think he was appreciative.

Exciting finish! Let's make it 2-in-a-row tonite!
Heck yeah for tonight. GREAT game. I'm toally worn out now after two wins and I wasn't the one skating around! Cheechoo rocked the hat traick. Incredible shot in for his third of the night. Three guys came and helped themselves to vacant seats in front of me in the third period. They were fun and personable enough but the dumbass in front of me was wearing an LA hat. I joked with him that he'd have to throw it to the ice if Cheech scored again. He said yeah yeah and his buddies thought it'd be a great thing to do. Pretty sure they were slightly drunk. Well, the hat trick was upon us and he tried hiding his hat. My girlfriend and I got him to go down to the ice and toss it. There's one less LA hat to woryy about now. I'm sure he'll regret it tomorrow and this is now going to be one of my funny game memories.
Another bonus, Ron Wilson got his 500th win tonight. I think it was Roenicks 1300th game too.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 09, 2008, 11:09:40 PM »
The SHARKS were not losers tonight and scrappy was the name of the game. Lots of scuffles and a bonafide fight. Nabby was in top form and player of the game. Lotsa action in both goals.
JR is my hero. During the pregame skate, he tossed each of my little cats a puck and I'm certain his wink was to me. We had a "poster" of him, same as my avatar, and I think he was appreciative.

Exciting finish! Let's make it 2-in-a-row tonite!
Heck yeah for tonight. GREAT game. I'm toally worn out now after two wins and I wasn't the one skating around! Cheechoo rocked the hat traick. Incredible shot in for his third of the night. Three guys came and helped themselves to vacant seats in front of me in the third period. They were fun and personable enough but the dumbass in front of me was wearing an LA hat. I joked with him that he'd have to throw it to the ice if Cheech scored again. He said yeah yeah and his buddies thought it'd be a great thing to do. Pretty sure they were slightly drunk. Well, the hat trick was upon us and he tried hiding his hat. My girlfriend and I got him to go down to the ice and toss it. There's one less LA hat to woryy about now. I'm sure he'll regret it tomorrow and this is now going to be one of my funny game memories.
Another bonus, Ron Wilson got his 500th win tonight. I think it was Roenicks 1300th game too.

"The CheeChoo Train is back on track", as Randy & Drew said tonite. Another thriller for those of us watching at home. And Drew was wearing his wedding ring tonite -- the wife must be in town! LOL!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 11, 2008, 09:56:15 AM »
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 15, 2008, 02:31:16 PM »
just discovered this site  -- very funny in re: Clemens...

http://www.236.com/news/2008/02/14/if_they_imd_roger_clemens_and_1_4420.php

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 18, 2008, 05:38:55 PM »
Lo Duca: "Sorry for the distraction, gotta run."

Gagne: "Sorry for the distraction, no further questions."

Herges: "Sorry for the distraction, say, have you met my family?"

This post-Mitchell climate is pretty sad.  I'm relieved I don't have a son who idolizes athletes.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 26, 2008, 05:44:57 PM »
Big day for sports injuries:

From the Giants camp, Omar Vizquel is out for a few weeks at least, having knee surgery:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/26/SPRGV91JD.DTL

And meanwhile, Yao Ming (Houston Rockets 7+ foot center) is out for the rest of the season with a stress fracture:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/02/26/sports/s103705S48.DTL&type=sports&tsp=1
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 26, 2008, 06:38:46 PM »

From the Giants camp, Omar Vizquel is out for a few weeks at least, having knee surgery:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/26/SPRGV91JD.DTL

Kevin Frandsen is my dark-horse pick for my upcoming fantasy baseball draft.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 27, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »

And meanwhile, Yao Ming (Houston Rockets 7+ foot center) is out for the rest of the season with a stress fracture:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/02/26/sports/s103705S48.DTL&type=sports&tsp=1

Too bad for Yao Ming (and I wonder what this does for the Beijing Olympics, of which he is the de facto national mascot), but it's good news for the Warriors.  The Rockets had won 12 straight and moved ahead of them in the playoff picture, but I can't see that continuing.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 27, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »

Too bad for Yao Ming (and I wonder what this does for the Beijing Olympics, of which he is the de facto national mascot), but it's good news for the Warriors.  The Rockets had won 12 straight and moved ahead of them in the playoff picture, but I can't see that continuing.

I think they're hoping that by getting it taken care of now, he'll be back on the floor for the Olympics. In what condition, hard to say.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 27, 2008, 06:49:59 PM »

I can't say I mind the prospect of things going wrong for the Beijing Olympics.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 28, 2008, 10:36:08 AM »

I don't think that's a well-thought out reaction.  When things go wrong in China on any kind of scale there are global repurcussions.  We should all hope that things go very well in China for the foreseeable future.  The alternative is not one to wish for.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 28, 2008, 11:19:11 AM »

I don't think that's a well-thought out reaction.  When things go wrong in China on any kind of scale there are global repurcussions.  We should all hope that things go very well in China for the foreseeable future.  The alternative is not one to wish for.

If things go very well, we get increased pollution and speeded-up global warming. What happens if we get the alternative? :o :o :o 

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 28, 2008, 11:37:52 AM »

If things go very well, we get increased pollution and speeded-up global warming. What happens if we get the alternative? :o :o :o 

Come on now, stop with the knee-jerk reactions.  Do you think pollution, etc. is what I or anyone else could possibly mean by "going well"?

In fact China is using the Olympics to showcase green technology that in many areas is far in advance of anything the US government is supporting.  That's the kind of stuff I hope goes well.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 28, 2008, 11:48:14 AM »

Come on now, stop with the knee-jerk reactions.  Do you think pollution, etc. is what I or anyone else could possibly mean by "going well"?

Obviously I was trying to be humorous.  But that *is* what a lot of people see when they look at a growing, economically successful China: a billion people suddenly driving cars that didn't exist a few years ago (just for starters). If that finally gets the world to use alternative energy, then hooray. But in the short term, things could get real ugly.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 04, 2008, 09:31:07 AM »