Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415715 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1965 on: July 23, 2012, 07:03:04 PM »
Ichiro to the Yankees (What the what???)

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2012/07/23/mariners-trade-ichiro-to-new-york-yankees-for-two-minor-league-prospects/

yeah -- not sure what the Yankees are getting from this deal. What do they need Ichiro for?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 24, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »
Ichiro to the Yankees (What the what???)

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2012/07/23/mariners-trade-ichiro-to-new-york-yankees-for-two-minor-league-prospects/

Mariners fans throughout the NW are blindsided by this one. And it is particularly stinging since the Yankees are playing in Seattle right now, so they have to watch their hero playing against them in pinstripes. Ouch.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: August 15, 2012, 12:35:39 PM »
Fuck.

http://blog.sfgate.com/giants/2012/08/15/breaking-news-melky-cabrera-of-giants-suspended-50-games-for-peds/

Guess we won't be seeing those "Melkman" promos on Comcast for the rest of the season.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:27:04 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: August 15, 2012, 10:54:09 PM »
Fuck.

http://blog.sfgate.com/giants/2012/08/15/breaking-news-melky-cabrera-of-giants-suspended-50-games-for-peds/

Guess we won't be seeing those "Melkman" promos on Comcast for the rest of the season.

What a fucking bonehead. In this post-BALCO climate, I can't imagine why he thought he might get away with it.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: August 17, 2012, 07:44:30 AM »
KGO traffic reporter Stan Burford retiring after 51 years in the business (32 of them @ KGO):

http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/2012/08/its-official-stan-burford-retiring-from.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: August 22, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »
And now it's Oakland's turn: bartolo Colon suspended 50 games for testosterone

http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2012/08/22/bartolo-colon-suspended-for-drug-violation/

Cabrera and Colon: both ex-Yankees. Jus' sayin'.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: September 09, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »
This FB monologue of mine will probably go over a lot better here:

1. This is looking like an 80's Niners-Packers game.

2. With the Niners kicking this much butt and all the talk of cutting taxes-government regulation/increasing military spending to cure all ills, I feel like I've traveled back in a Hot Tub Time Machine.

3. When's the next Berlin album coming out?
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: September 20, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »
So, the NHL cancelled the exhibition season. Regular season games are supposed to start in 3 weeks. I have a hunch there won't be a hockey season, and my hunch has to do with... KFOX.

You're a radio station that's changing formats -- abandoning male-oriented classic-rock after, like, 20 years, and trying to broaden your appeal. You've fired your 60-ish morning guy and replaced him with a woman, and expanded your playlist in an attempt to attract new and especially female listeners. And you're doing this ... in late September. What's the last thing you'd want to be saddled with? Right: a commitment to air hockey games every other night for the next six months.  I can't help feeling that the folks at Entercom had a little inside info, or else they wouldn't've gone forward with the big switch.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: September 21, 2012, 07:04:26 AM »
So, the NHL cancelled the exhibition season. Regular season games are supposed to start in 3 weeks. I have a hunch there won't be a hockey season, and my hunch has to do with... KFOX.

You're a radio station that's changing formats -- abandoning male-oriented classic-rock after, like, 20 years, and trying to broaden your appeal. You've fired your 60-ish morning guy and replaced him with a woman, and expanded your playlist in an attempt to attract new and especially female listeners. And you're doing this ... in late September. What's the last thing you'd want to be saddled with? Right: a commitment to air hockey games every other night for the next six months.  I can't help feeling that the folks at Entercom had a little inside info, or else they wouldn't've gone forward with the big switch.

Haven't been keeping up with hockey news, but good insight. 
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: September 21, 2012, 07:49:06 AM »
So this will be the third major disruption to the NHL in the last 20 years. It seems that MLB has learned its lesson from 1994, and the NFL hasn't really been affected since 1987... that leaves the NBA and NHL in the rear went it comes to labor negotiations.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: January 17, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
Heh.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: January 18, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: January 23, 2013, 09:42:24 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: January 24, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
the Manti Te'o thang gets weirder:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8875990/lawyer-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-was-voice-talking-manti-teo

Honestly, i said from the beginning that while I wasn't sure if Te'o was gay, that Tuiososopo dude sure had to be (he was described in most of the news reports as "an aspiring singer/dancer " -- I mean, DUH!).  Sexually repressed Mormons? No, really?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: March 03, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
I've noticed that the Pay-Per-View NHL games on cable that are normally free for a week or so at the beginning of the season, after which they ask you to purchase a package... are still free, even though we're nearly 2 months into the season. I'm guessing they'll be free for the duration?