Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415878 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1950 on: March 19, 2012, 11:00:11 AM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: March 19, 2012, 11:18:54 AM »
Oops: no Peyton for us!

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/03/19/report-manning-will-sign-with-broncos/?tsp=1

Probably a good thing... In Mandarin, Peyton's name translates to "Ben Sheets".

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: March 19, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: April 10, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Yay for Barry Zito -- the "WTF?" of the week, sports-wise.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/10/SPDK1O0SUJ.DTL

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: April 27, 2012, 02:35:38 PM »
Aubrey Huff on DL for anxiety. Wife filed for divorce end of January. Tough luck for Huff.  Heard it thru the grapevine Patrick Marleau facing divorce too.
Sharks bleed teal.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: May 13, 2012, 04:52:29 PM »
The Gallagher Brothers' club, Manchester City, won the Premier League title in dramatic fashion earlier today. I don't have too much of a rooting interest, but I'm not sad that Manchester United, who are kind of like the Yankees, came up a bit short. It's City's first title since 1968, before Liam's birth, although Noel may have been celebrating as a one-year-old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiEerBNiIvw&feature=related
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: May 13, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »
The Gallagher Brothers' club, Manchester City, won the Premier League title in dramatic fashion earlier today. I don't have too much of a rooting interest, but I'm not sad that Manchester United, who are kind of like the Yankees, came up a bit short. It's City's first title since 1968, before Liam's birth, although Noel may have been celebrating as a one-year-old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiEerBNiIvw&feature=related

I just happened to be watching today for the last few minutes of the game they were showing on the cable station. (Chelsea v. someone, Everton?) and then trhey showed he end of the Man U game.  It was pretty nice seeing Man U atop for all of 20 seconds and then the news came in that the Blues scored another goal.  The crowd at the QPR stadium erupted in derisive cheering at Man U's sudden fall.  Ah, the best of sport, right there.  Laughing at your opponents' failure.     

I don't follow any of the premiership, or soccer in general if it's not the World Cup, but I have a soft spot for Man City after watching Life On Mars (the orig English version) because the Gene character was so awesome.
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1957 on: May 22, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
Just saw an ad for Mo-Mo's on Chronicle Live.  It looked like Alicat was in one shot!  True?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: June 14, 2012, 06:17:45 AM »
wow no mention of Cain's perfect game?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: June 14, 2012, 07:44:25 AM »

Everyone is on Facebook saying stuff.   

I was at the game for a few innings, watching out by the right field fence.   I left when it was 7-0.  The sidewalk scrappy brigade and the crackheads and alcoholics who hang out there partied EXTRA HARD last night.  There's quite a collection of humanity back there, running around smoking, drinking when they can get away with it (SFPD patrol back there a lot) and bellowing things like  "Goooooo, giiii-annnnnttss!" and "blah blah blarghy blargh!"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:25:37 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: June 14, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »

I was at the game for a few innings, watching out by the right field fence.   i left when it was 7-0.  The sidewalk scrappy brigade and the crackheads and alcoholics who out there who hang out there partied EXTRA HARD lastnight.  Theres quite a collection of humanity back there, running around smoking, drinking when they can get away with it (SFPD patrol back there a lot) and bellowing things like  "Goooooo, giiii-annnnnttss!" and "blah blah blarghy blargh!"

Yeah, the G-Snipe site was full of Giants talk, including a helpful line from SRW, "I'm not watching it" or somethingsuch.

Here is a cool list from McCovey Chronicles:

http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2012/6/14/3084615/matt-cain-perfect-game-san-francisco-giants

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: June 14, 2012, 07:58:57 AM »

I was at the game for a few innings, watching out by the right field fence.   i left when it was 7-0.  The sidewalk scrappy brigade and the crackheads and alcoholics who out there who hang out there partied EXTRA HARD lastnight.  Theres quite a collection of humanity back there, running around smoking, drinking when they can get away with it (SFPD patrol back there a lot) and bellowing things like  "Goooooo, giiii-annnnnttss!" and "blah blah blarghy blargh!"

Yeah, the G-Snipe site was full of Giants talk, including a helpful line from SRW, "I'm not watching it" or somethingsuch.

http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2012/6/14/3084615/matt-cain-perfect-game-san-francisco-giants

I chose last nite to catch a movie (Moonrise Kingdon) and didn't find out about Cain's perfecto until this morning. Damn.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: June 14, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »

I chose last nite to catch a movie (Moonrise Kingdon) and didn't find out about Cain's perfecto until this morning. Damn.

Was unusually tired last night after work.  Decided to "rest my eyes" for a while on the couch with the giant's game on, sound off.  I'd peek every now and then and notice the score changing.  At about 8:45 I gave up and decided to just go to bed (sad).  It was 10 - 0 and I had the fleeting thought -- I wonder if the Lastros have a hit yet...  But I didn't stick around to find out.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: June 28, 2012, 10:34:48 PM »
First place, baby! The Dodgers fell again tonight, and the Giants registered their fourth consecutive shutout (5-0 over the Reds) so they're all alone in first in the NL West.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: July 23, 2012, 04:15:18 PM »