Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415785 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1875 on: October 28, 2011, 08:32:29 PM »
Congrats Cards.  Won me 5 bucks.  The sad thing:  Giants are no longer the world champs.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1876 on: October 28, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »
Congrats Cards.  Won me 5 bucks.  The sad thing:  Giants are no longer the world champs.

got home just in time to see the pile on at the pitcher's mound.  Listening on the radio on the way home, I felt like they were ignoring the Cinderella story of last year in describing how improbable it was for the Cards to be winning it.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: October 28, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »
Congrats Cards.  Won me 5 bucks.  The sad thing:  Giants are no longer the world champs.

got home just in time to see the pile on at the pitcher's mound.  Listening on the radio on the way home, I felt like they were ignoring the Cinderella story of last year in describing how improbable it was for the Cards to be winning it.

Maybe, but really the Cards should never have gotten as far as they did.  And last night's game:  just ridiculous.  And Freese wins the MVP, as he should.

ETA:  Nice f*cking car!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:47:21 PM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: October 28, 2011, 10:42:48 PM »
Congrats Cards.  Won me 5 bucks.  The sad thing:  Giants are no longer the world champs.

got home just in time to see the pile on at the pitcher's mound.  Listening on the radio on the way home, I felt like they were ignoring the Cinderella story of last year in describing how improbable it was for the Cards to be winning it.

Maybe, but really the Cards should never have gotten as far as they did.  And last night's game:  just ridiculous.  And Freese wins the MVP, as he should.

ETA:  Nice f*cking car!

Yes, well done to the Cardinals for an improbable trip to win the Series. And thanks for putting the hurt on W. for the second straight year. I felt bad for Ron Washington though--he needs to go to a different team. Had a feeling Freese would get the MVP, particularly after last night's walk-off. (And yeah, that car is sweet.)  

I am a little bummed that the Giants are no longer reigning WS champs, but hey, we will always be the 2010 World Series winners. I am still a Giants fan through and through, and no one can ever take 2010 away from the team or the fans. Now let's go out and get a big bat to drive in some runs (bye bye Beltran) and start looking to 2012.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:44:37 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: November 05, 2011, 05:14:53 PM »
Just turned on the Cal game to see the score (they're winning) and AT&T Park is half-empty -- I expected it to be more crowded than that. WTF?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1880 on: November 06, 2011, 10:09:33 PM »
Just turned on the Cal game to see the score (they're winning) and AT&T Park is half-empty -- I expected it to be more crowded than that. WTF?
My wife is a Cal grad, and we've talked about attending an AT&T game.  Perhaps it's not so hard to get a ticket?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: November 07, 2011, 05:25:15 AM »
My wife is a Cal grad, and we've talked about attending an AT&T game.  Perhaps it's not so hard to get a ticket?

I believe there is only one more game in SF, this Saturday.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: November 07, 2011, 08:14:05 AM »
I'm assuming Alicat will attend this and file a full report:

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=598927&navid=DL|SJS|home

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: November 07, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »

No, I am going to the game tonight and then to Chicago tomorrow for the week. I AM going to the Blackhawks game at United Center on the 11th!!!!! I'll post on FB while there. Yes, I did acquire a Blackhawks shirt so I blend in.

What games are you going to RGM?
I went BANANAS and made a crazy donation to the Sharks Foundation on Saturday night. I LOST MY MIND but really do feel good about it. For the game on Nov 26, I got center ice seats for me and my family, rows 1 & 2 in 215, club access, AND A ZAMBONI RIDE. I get to ride after the second period. My Mom loved going to the games. She would have loved a Zamboni ride but her time ran out before I made that happen. I am going to wear her favorite Sharks shirt and carry a picture of her and me at one of the games a few years ago. She'll finally get her Zamboni ride. Itold my husband I got game tickets for us but did not let him know the extent of my spend.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: November 07, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »

No, I am going to the game tonight and then to Chicago tomorrow for the week. I AM going to the Blackhawks game at United Center on the 11th!!!!! I'll post on FB while there. Yes, I did acquire a Blackhawks shirt so I blend in.

I was at opening nite and I am going Sat Dec 3rd.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: November 07, 2011, 12:29:56 PM »

I was at opening nite and I am going Sat Dec 3rd.
I have Dec 1 and 6. I'm bummed I won't see you.
Sharks bleed teal.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: November 07, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
Jonathan Sanchez for Melky Cabrera, aka "Shawn Estes for Tsyoshi Shinjo and Desi Relaford".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: November 07, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
Jonathan Sanchez for Melky Cabrera, aka "Shawn Estes for Tsyoshi Shinjo and Desi Relaford".

Yeah, I'm confused, esp after reading the wildly differing comments on the SFGate article.

I used to think "Melky" was a rather silly name, but then I saw Spring Awakening and discovered it's short for Melchior (he was one of the 3 Wise Men).

And thanks again for Mariah's Xmas!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
I didn't think it was possible, but Logan Couture has a moustache that's even worse than Barry Zito's last year.

BTW, does Logan Couture have a sister named Juicy?

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: November 07, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »
I didn't think it was possible, but Logan Couture has a moustache that's even worse than Barry Zito's last year.

BTW, does Logan Couture have a sister named Juicy?

I thought Lincecum has the record for worst mustache, at least when he attempted it.

BTW, how painful must it be to be scored upon by Jack Johnson?