Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415829 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1860 on: September 25, 2011, 06:51:45 AM »
It Ain't Over Til It's Over, but it's looking pretty bad right now for the Giants, 6-2 Az in the 6th. Thanks for the great ride anyway!

speaking of baseball -- what'd ya think of Moneyball? (I'm about to post my reaction in thje Movie Thread)

I'm tempted to write a formal review, but it's definitely one of the best sports movies. I wouldn't quite put it up to The Social Network, however. Probably about an A-.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: September 28, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »
With the Giants not in the postseason, here is our Gameday Checklist for Game 162:

Conradian Play [ ]
Rain Delay [ ]
Ryan Lavarnaway went to Yale [ ]
Russell Martin shows his hatred towards the Red Sox [ ]
Moneyball reference [ ]
Pujols-in-final-year-of-contract mention [ ]
The manager of a contending team is thrown out [ ]
Buck Showalter is thrown out [ ]
The manager of a spoiler team other than the Orioles is thrown out [ ]
Matt Wieters does something makes Red Sox fans take his name in vain [ ]
LaRussa does what LaRussa does as far as the bullpen [ ]
Tito leaves someone in too long [ ]
The Cards-Astros game is in the 7th inning or later when the last EST timezone game is finished [ ]
Carl Crawford appears to be a double-agent for the Rays [ ]
Pujols goes deep [ ]
Somebody in one of the other games today does something noteworthy like a No-no or hitting 3 home runs or something [ ]
Dramatic home run 7th inning or later [ ]
Shot of out-of-town scoreboard showing score of game of other contending team [ ]
Use of Starter in relief [ ]
Selig has heart attack []

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: September 28, 2011, 05:22:27 PM »
With the Giants not in the postseason, here is our Gameday Checklist for Game 162:

Conradian Play [ ]
Rain Delay [ ]
Ryan Lavarnaway went to Yale [ ]
Russell Martin shows his hatred towards the Red Sox [ ]
Moneyball reference [ ]
Pujols-in-final-year-of-contract mention [ ]
The manager of a contending team is thrown out [ ]
Buck Showalter is thrown out [ ]
The manager of a spoiler team other than the Orioles is thrown out [ ]
Matt Wieters does something makes Red Sox fans take his name in vain [ ]
LaRussa does what LaRussa does as far as the bullpen [ ]
Tito leaves someone in too long [ ]
The Cards-Astros game is in the 7th inning or later when the last EST timezone game is finished [ ]
Carl Crawford appears to be a double-agent for the Rays [ ]
Pujols goes deep [ ]
Somebody in one of the other games today does something noteworthy like a No-no or hitting 3 home runs or something [ ]
Dramatic home run 7th inning or later [ ]
Shot of out-of-town scoreboard showing score of game of other contending team [ ]
Use of Starter in relief [ ]
Selig has heart attack []

heh, lots of inside baseball here, esp persons like Ryan Lavarnaway and Matt Weiters, which are over my head.

I went to the game last night and had a good time. I also had nachos!   

I was back at the Right Field knothole gang fence and some lady gave me a free ticket. Score!  I wound up meeting someone I knew inside and sat w them for about six innings, then I got up and wandered about.  The aforementioned nachos were from the Cha Cha Bowl stand. 

Did anyone see the game?  Tony Bennett sang America The Beeyootiful. What about that inside-the-park HR?  the ooohs and aahs? The relaxed attitude that can come when you're out of contention and the opposing team fields their AAA squad?

~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: September 28, 2011, 09:48:04 PM »
I do believe Alicat was at the game. And yes, the Cha Cha Bowl rocks.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: September 28, 2011, 11:08:40 PM »

The Cha Cha Bowl was my preferred dinner choice over the 8+ years I was regularly attending games at the Big Phone. No. 2 was a brat with onions.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: September 29, 2011, 08:18:23 AM »

The Cha Cha Bowl was my preferred dinner choice over the 8+ years I was regularly attending games at the Big Phone. No. 2 was a brat with onions.

on a few occasions I sat in the vlub level, and the food choices there are pretty good.  There was a Mexican place I recall as pretty good and they had a carving station up there of some sort, where you can pick up adecent sandwich for, oh, $14 or so.   Hot Fudge sundaes at some stand I think were close to $10.  Good food, but poor values.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: September 29, 2011, 08:26:50 PM »
So I'm watching the first episode of "Shark Byte" for the new hockey season -- Drew Remenda doesn't seem to be the host this year. But they're doing a half-hour profile of Ryane Clowe -- rrrrrrrowr!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: October 18, 2011, 08:12:55 AM »
Scott Ostler's very funny piece on the Harbaugh handshake dust-up:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/17/SP751LIQGR.DTL&type=sports

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: October 24, 2011, 10:53:11 PM »
I'm rooting for the Cards, but man, that Texas team does not give up. Good game tonight, even though I was not pleased with the outcome. Still, two games left in St. Louis so I'm thinking the Series goes the full 7, and may the best team win.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: October 27, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »
as if there weren't enuf reasons to hate the Dodgers already...

http://blog.sfgate.com/giants/2011/10/27/dodgers-say-stow-responsible-for-beating/?tsp=1

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: October 27, 2011, 09:36:04 PM »
Granted it's not the same as last year, but this Game 6 is shaping up as one of the best World Series games of all time. Well, at least one of the most exciting.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: October 27, 2011, 11:39:10 PM »
Granted it's not the same as last year, but this Game 6 is shaping up as one of the best World Series games of all time. Well, at least one of the most exciting.
Spectacular is what it was. Hope Cards have what it takes to win it.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: October 28, 2011, 07:27:13 AM »

Quote of the Day, from Outsports.com: "I wonder if former Rangers owner George W. Bush prematurely hung a 'Mission Accomplished' banner with two outs in the ninth."

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: October 28, 2011, 08:21:21 AM »

Yeah, that was fun. Although I haven't watched much of any game, I was out bowling last night at Presidio Bowl and the game was on the TV, so I kept my eye on it.  I left when it was Texas 7-5 in the seventh.

On my bike ride home down Polk, I pulled over at Kimo's and peered inside to see the Cards down to their last out, then their last strike, then the triple.  (I thought for sure Cruz would catch it.  I suppose he's there for his bat, not his glove.)  By the time I finally got home, Texas had pulled ahead by two in the tenth, and I watched the rest of the game. 

So I feel like I tuned in at just the right times to see the most exciting parts, which is just the right way to watch if you don't really care who wins -- although I suppose I want St. Louis to win b/c  I "don't like" Texas.  And I suppose I "don't like" LaRussa that much either, but he will go down as one of greatest managers in baseball history. 

~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »
St Louis's Lance Berkman, another hero from last night, on kids dreaming in their backyard of doing what Freese pulled off: “What they don’t tell you is that reporters and fans will be ready to call you a choking dog if you fail. Be careful what you wish for kids,” Berkman said with a laugh.

:)

~CPL593H~