Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415786 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1830 on: July 30, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »
Thought I'd posted about this before but couldn't find it anywhere: Josh Willingham of the A's has as his walk-up music... "Your Love" by the Outfield. He knows neither the song nor the band's name has anything to do with baseball, right?
Well, clue me in.  Wikipedia says they used to be called the Baseball Boys. 
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: July 30, 2011, 09:30:44 PM »
Thought I'd posted about this before but couldn't find it anywhere: Josh Willingham of the A's has as his walk-up music... "Your Love" by the Outfield. He knows neither the song nor the band's name has anything to do with baseball, right?

Wow -- news to me. Casey Kasem played the song on a 1986 rerun a few weeks ago and made a point of saying the name was not a baseball reference but had something to do with... rugby? cricket? 

Almost as amusing is that Willingham was all of 7 years old when the song as a hit.

In other news, Orlando Cabrera is now a Giant.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1832 on: July 30, 2011, 10:53:21 PM »

Wow -- news to me. Casey Kasem played the song on a 1986 rerun a few weeks ago and made a point of saying the name was not a baseball reference but had something to do with... rugby? cricket? 

Almost as amusing is that Willingham was all of 7 years old when the song as a hit.
I wasn't familiar with the tune, so listened to a sample.  Regardless of what it all means, it sucks!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: July 30, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »

I wasn't familiar with the tune, so listened to a sample.  Regardless of what it all means, it sucks!

LOL! Yes, a fairly worthless band -- Brits who had big success here but who bombed in their own country. They "sounded too American". (I always thought they were trying to sound like Boston).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: July 31, 2011, 12:49:07 PM »
Buh-bye Rich Harden (again): A's trading him to the Sawx.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/athletics/detail?entry_id=94320

er, never mind: Harden stays put in Oaktown. But Brad Ziegler traded to the D-backs.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: July 31, 2011, 07:34:54 PM »
From the Giants blog on SF Gate, re: Tejada reacting to the arrival of Cabrera...

"Across the clubhouse, Miguel Tejada was fuming, but not that the team traded for another shortstop. He was angry with San Francisco reporters for questioning his defense. Apparently there are no mirrors in Cincinnati for him to look into."

Ouch!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: August 02, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
yeesh & sheesh: G-men lose their 5th in a row.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: August 03, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »
yeesh & sheesh: G-men lose their 5th in a row.

way to end a losing streak: Giants beat D-backs 8-1, regain sole possession of 1st place.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: August 05, 2011, 06:22:13 PM »
And you thought the A's MC Hammer bobblehead was cool: It's '80s night at Tropicana Field in Florida, and they've got ... the Go-Gos!  From the A's blog on SFGate:

"It's '80s Night here at Tropicana Field, and much as I loved the A's '80's weekend and MC Hammer, I'm even more excited for tonight, because the Go-Go's are playing postgame. We didn't get any concert from Hammer, plus... the Go-Go's! They're also all throwing out the first pitch, multiple throws to multiple catchers, and I hear that the pre-game throwing practice wasn't entirely smooth - a little bit of wildness, and not the effective sort.

It's the Goo Goo Dolls here tomorrow night, and they're calling it the Go-Go/Goo-Goo weekend. Yes, the standard joke for the series is, 'but they couldn't get Lady Gaga for Sunday'."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: August 05, 2011, 09:10:14 PM »
YIKES! bench-clearing brawl, Giants/Phillies. Damn.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: August 05, 2011, 11:33:42 PM »
YIKES! bench-clearing brawl, Giants/Phillies. Damn.

And the Giants still got their asses handed to them. Not good.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: August 09, 2011, 06:57:26 PM »
On the way home tonite, there was a guy on BART: skinny, loooong grey beard, Giants/Deadhead cap, tie-dyed shirt. Obviously on his way to the "Deadhead Night" at the game.  You could not have found a better "aging hippie" if you'd called Central Casting.  I LQTM'd.

ETA: and speaking of aging hippies, Lesh and Weir sang the anthem and they look positively fossilized.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:11:41 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: August 09, 2011, 08:26:19 PM »
For our friends in other time zones who didn't get to see the excellent docu OUT: The Glenn Burke Story when it aired on Comcast California last year, it's showing tonite on Versus and presumably they'll repeat it multiple times.  (Comcast/NBC owns part of Versus, so I shoulda seen this coming.)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: August 09, 2011, 10:37:32 PM »
For our friends in other time zones who didn't get to see the excellent docu OUT: The Glenn Burke Story when it aired on Comcast California last year, it's showing tonite on Versus and presumably they'll repeat it multiple times.  (Comcast/NBC owns part of Versus, so I shoulda seen this coming.)

Is that the one for which Dave Morey did the narration?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: August 10, 2011, 07:36:58 AM »

Is that the one for which Dave Morey did the narration?

Yup.