Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415701 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1665 on: November 03, 2010, 11:32:33 PM »
Did Aubrey Huff show off his stuff?  I silently wondered if AL might sneak in "Rhinestone Cowboy" as a tribute to his lucky thong.
He waved it around and performed some thong-related theatrics but it was all rated G. I ended up in a great spot on the grass but line of vision to the stage sucked. Too many tall people. Fine day. One thing that impressed me, there were no acts of aggression that I saw. The crowd everywhere was so well behaved. Polite even. A real love fest.  Getting into/onto BART after was a nightmare but everyone was orderly and good natured. Crowds on Market St. were all happy and probably high and or tipsy. There was plenty of smoke and alcohol all around. Not sure why I am still up when I admit my battery is drained.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: November 04, 2010, 07:53:29 AM »
Did Aubrey Huff show off his stuff?  I silently wondered if AL might sneak in "Rhinestone Cowboy" as a tribute to his lucky thong.
He waved it around and performed some thong-related theatrics but it was all rated G. I ended up in a great spot on the grass but line of vision to the stage sucked. Too many tall people. Fine day. One thing that impressed me, there were no acts of aggression that I saw. The crowd everywhere was so well behaved. Polite even. A real love fest.  Getting into/onto BART after was a nightmare but everyone was orderly and good natured. Crowds on Market St. were all happy and probably high and or tipsy. There was plenty of smoke and alcohol all around. Not sure why I am still up when I admit my battery is drained.

Last nite around 9:30 there were still some orange-and-black-clad revelers on BART downtown who were, shall we say, less than lucid -- folks who didn't know how to get home because they were riding BART for the first time since their Middle School class trip, probably. I watch a guy spend 10 minutes explaining to 4 young women that there are no direct trains to Richmond after 9pm and that they'd have to change at 19th, er, oh, forget it, dude.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: November 04, 2010, 09:06:38 AM »

Thanks for the report.  I'm especially glad to hear it, as I'd heard some really pathetic looting reports.  People using #sfriot as a hash for a FourSquare invitation to a riot?  We really are in a new century now.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: November 04, 2010, 09:31:42 AM »

Thanks for the report.  I'm especially glad to hear it, as I'd heard some really pathetic looting reports.  People using #sfriot as a hash for a FourSquare invitation to a riot?  We really are in a new century now.

Apparently there was a bit of misbehavior in the Mission on Monday night after the game, but even that was relatively nminor compared to what's happened in other cities after their teams win. (Oakland, anyone?) I don't think any cars got burned.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: November 04, 2010, 09:43:42 AM »

Apparently there was a bit of misbehavior in the Mission on Monday night after the game, but even that was relatively nminor compared to what's happened in other cities after their teams win. (Oakland, anyone?)

indeed, and what happened in SF was GREATLY exaggerated by Yahoo news and got picked up around the country -- East Coast Facebook friends were like, "whatthehell's goin' on there??" and i had to say, "very little, actuallly"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: November 04, 2010, 02:04:58 PM »
Did Aubrey Huff show off his stuff? 

no, but Pat the Bat shaved his forearms for the occasion ;)

oh and Barry (the one in DC) finally got around to calling with congrats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IgmrA-mOLo

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: November 04, 2010, 04:55:43 PM »
Steve Perry talks about the Giants and "Don't Stop Believing"
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=12958605

Giants' comment on fans and the parade:
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=12958861

Giants' comment during the parade route:
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=12958495
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:01:58 PM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: November 04, 2010, 08:29:45 PM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: November 05, 2010, 07:56:28 AM »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: November 05, 2010, 10:06:41 AM »
See Giants' Brian Wilson (and The Machine's) appearance last night on Jay Leno:
http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/brian-wilson-and-the-machine-on-tonight-show-video/

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: November 05, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »
http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/brian-wilson-and-the-machine-on-tonight-show-video/

Brian Wilson is my new favorite guy in baseball.  I love his sense of humor.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: November 05, 2010, 11:24:30 AM »

Brian Wilson is my new favorite guy in baseball.  I love his sense of humor.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: November 08, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »
Dave Morey narrates this doc about the life and death of a local athlete known as the first openly gay MLB player.

Out: The Glenn Burke Story:  Documentary. 8 p.m. Wed. and next Tues. Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. A screening of the documentary and fundraiser is scheduled for Wednesday night at the Castro Theatre, with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. A live town hall meeting will follow the screening at 9:15 p.m. More information and tickets available at www.csnbayarea.com/pages/out.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/08/DD5K1G7C3A.DTL

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: November 08, 2010, 07:17:10 PM »
Dave Morey narrates this doc about the life and death of a local athlete known as the first openly gay MLB player.

Out: The Glenn Burke Story:  Documentary. 8 p.m. Wed. and next Tues. Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. A screening of the documentary and fundraiser is scheduled for Wednesday night at the Castro Theatre, with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. A live town hall meeting will follow the screening at 9:15 p.m. More information and tickets available at www.csnbayarea.com/pages/out.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/08/DD5K1G7C3A.DTL

Been looking forward to this docu -- they've been showing promos for months -- but I didn't know Dave was narrating.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: November 09, 2010, 08:02:55 AM »
ESPN lets go of Jon Miller and Joe Morgan on "Sun Nite Baseball":

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/09/SPCV1G92VB.DTL

Well, if that means Miller gets to do more local Giants stuff while we're spared having to hear the insufferable Morgan on Sunday nites -- I'd call that a win-win! 

Now if FOX would only give Buck & McCarver the heave-ho...