Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415694 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1515 on: June 03, 2010, 12:00:47 AM »
...and we came thisclose to another perfect game today:

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/a-perfect-game-except-for-one-call/

What a punch in the gut - I cannot even imagine.  He'll have his own special place in history, though.

Right there next to Harvey Haddix.

But sheesh - now THREE perfectos in a month, and FOUR within a year?

Hell, TWO within five days! There was a stretch of 34 1/2 years between the fifth (Charlie Robertson, April 1922) and sixth (Don Larsen, October 1956 in the World Series) perfect games, and another 13 years separated the ninth and tenth perfectos (Catfish Hunter in '68 and Len Barker in '81). Since that time, they've been relatively commonplace, coming every few years.

But three in a month is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:08:34 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1516 on: June 03, 2010, 12:55:12 PM »

this will probably lead to a change in officiating, perhaps changing the game forever.  Time will tell.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: June 03, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »

this will probably lead to a change in officiating, perhaps changing the game forever.  Time will tell.

I think the details and players of this (im)perfect game will be remembered much more than most:

"White House: Baseball should reverse ump's mistake"
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/06/03/national/w130829D37.DTL

Of course, the umpire should never be a "player" in these events (if an ump is noticed, they didn't do their job), but the compassion, the admission of guilt, the acceptance of the apology, the tears and the drama are making this almost-perfecto play much bigger than any "regular" perfect game.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: June 09, 2010, 08:21:34 PM »
Word on the street (and on Comcast SportsNet) is that Sharks captain Rob Blake will be announcing his retirement next week.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: June 09, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Here comes the World Cup!

anyone else into it?   I'll be getting up early to watch some matches... I love it.  Every four years I turn into a soccer fan again.  (If I had cable I would watch more Euro soccer, esp the Premier League but I get a little bored watching the US league... just not quite up to snuff.)

Go USA!

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: June 10, 2010, 07:33:52 AM »
Here comes the World Cup!

anyone else into it?   I'll be getting up early to watch some matches... I love it.  Every four years I turn into a soccer fan again.  (If I had cable I would watch more Euro soccer, esp the Premier League but I get a little bored watching the US league... just not quite up to snuff.)

Go USA!

Ha! I was just about to post this as my FB status: "Sorry, ESPN... all the hype in the world can't change the fact that Americans don't give a rat's ass about the World Cup"

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: June 11, 2010, 11:45:14 AM »
A quote from a buddy of mine, a big Cal fan who is revelling in the beat down the NCAA has just given U$C, with a gratuitous Counting Crows slam:

I also like how the NCAA has banned them from having celebrities hanging around too. No more Will Ferrell on the sidelines. No more Snoop Dogg at practice. (I wish Cal would impose that ban on themselves, I hate that whiny Counting Crows Sideshow Bob looking singer who has foisted himself onto the program)

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: June 11, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »
A quote from a buddy of mine, a big Cal fan who is revelling in the beat down the NCAA has just given U$C, with a gratuitous Counting Crows slam:

I also like how the NCAA has banned them from having celebrities hanging around too. No more Will Ferrell on the sidelines. No more Snoop Dogg at practice. (I wish Cal would impose that ban on themselves, I hate that whiny Counting Crows Sideshow Bob looking singer who has foisted himself onto the program)

Not to mention the schadenfreude the Lane Kiffin hatas (which is, like, everybody) are enjoying.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: June 11, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »

Not to mention the schadenfreude the Lane Kiffin hatas (which is, like, everybody) are enjoying.

No more Snoop Dogg at practice?  So who's gonna help the backfield and wideouts spark up that fattie after wind sprints?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: June 11, 2010, 09:43:08 PM »
Halloween in June? 

Giants vs Orioles, Monday, June 14th. Giants will be wearing their Orange Jerseys, and the Orioles will be sporting their Black Jeresys.

Wear your favorite costime to the ballpark and visit the judging booth inside Willie Mays Plaza (judging ends at 6pm) and you could be a finalist for the ON FIELD PREGAME Costum...e contest. The "RALLY PUMPKIN" will be on hand as the celebrity judge.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: June 12, 2010, 12:14:44 AM »
Halloween in June? 

Giants vs Orioles, Monday, June 14th. Giants will be wearing their Orange Jerseys, and the Orioles will be sporting their Black Jeresys.

Wear your favorite costime to the ballpark and visit the judging booth inside Willie Mays Plaza (judging ends at 6pm) and you could be a finalist for the ON FIELD PREGAME Costum...e contest. The "RALLY PUMPKIN" will be on hand as the celebrity judge.

very quaint.  lots of orange hair at tonight's game, and every Giants home game features lots of kids and cute young ladies in those Panda hats.  it's kwazee!  Giants fans can learn from World Cup fans:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:18:50 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: June 23, 2010, 09:52:21 AM »
Sharks letting Nabby go... Alicat must be verklempt!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5316670

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: June 23, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Have any of you been watching the World Cup action?  it's been pretty great, esp today w the USA late goal allowing them to advance to the next round.
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: June 23, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »
Have any of you been watching the World Cup action?  it's been pretty great, esp today w the USA late goal allowing them to advance to the next round.

Action?

Seriously, I HAVE TRIED.  Really I have.  Can't get into it.  Though I do root for the US from afar, much like I do for the Giants.  But really, if I find watching baseball to be generally dull and uninteresting, what chance do I have of finding soccer interesting?
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: June 24, 2010, 09:51:30 AM »
Sharks letting Nabby go... Alicat must be verklempt!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5316670
Nah, it's time. Marleau and The Big Pavelski re-signed. whew! I was more boo hoo about Staubitz than Nabby. Staubitz was nice to watch.
Sharks bleed teal.