Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415827 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1470 on: March 24, 2010, 07:32:22 AM »
Are you up-to-date on NCAA Tourney brackets as it goes into next round Thurs/Fri.  For a printable version, there's a link at upper right of this view. Go St Mary's!
http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/basketball/men/

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:43 PM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: March 24, 2010, 11:04:40 PM »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: March 25, 2010, 07:46:23 AM »
Hot Rumor of the Day: Donovan McNabb on the trading block and the Raiders are interested.;

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010/03/24/raiders-eyeing-mcnabb-give-al-davis-credit-he-makes-some-other-bay-area-execs-look-tiny/

Is he (McNabb) that foolish?

Depends on how unloved he feels in Philly, I suppose. He'd certainly be an instant hero here if he came and "rescued" the Silver & Black. And Al Davis can't live forever... can he?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: March 25, 2010, 08:46:14 PM »
Comcast SportsNet seems to have upgraded their baseball TV team this year, adding Mychael Urban (yeah, he really spells it that way) formerly of MLB.com as their sideline reporter, apparently he replaces the women they used to have doing that stuff (who were quite awful). So far Urban seems to have a real rapport with the players. Seems he's doing A's games; dunno if one of the women (Mindy? Sandy? can't remember their names) will still be seen on Giants b'casts.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Shameless Giants ticket selloff
« Reply #1475 on: March 25, 2010, 10:18:38 PM »
I've got pairs of tickets to a few Giants games in the first few months of the season that I'm offering up for sale. (I still share a pair of season tickets with a few friends.) I e-mailed a few of you directly, but if anyone else is interested, ping me back off the board and I'll send you the info.  A's, Phils, Astros and Rockies, and maybe a Cardinals game--still pondering going myself. Selling 'em at cost ($25 per ticket).
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: March 31, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: March 31, 2010, 05:22:16 PM »
Together again: Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent will be at China Basin on April 11 as part of the Giants' 10-year ballpark anniversary.  Not sure if Bonds knows Kent will be there or vice versa.  Regardless, they'll be two of 16 players from the division-winning 2000 team the Giants anticipate showing for a pregame wingding.  The list: Rich Aurilia, Marvin Benard, Bonds, Ellis Burks, Felipe Crespo, Bobby Estalella, Shawn Estes, Aaron Fultz, Mark Gardner, Kent, Ramon Martinez, Bill Mueller, Robb Nen, Armando Rios, Kirk Rueter and J.T. Snow.
Looking closely at the list: Benard, Estalella, Rios, all part of the BALCO scandal with Bonds.  Should be interesting.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?blogid=22&entry_id=60334

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: March 31, 2010, 06:22:40 PM »
Together again: Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent will be at China Basin on April 11 as part of the Giants' 10-year ballpark anniversary.  Not sure if Bonds knows Kent will be there or vice versa.  Regardless, they'll be two of 16 players from the division-winning 2000 team the Giants anticipate showing for a pregame wingding.  The list: Rich Aurilia, Marvin Benard, Bonds, Ellis Burks, Felipe Crespo, Bobby Estalella, Shawn Estes, Aaron Fultz, Mark Gardner, Kent, Ramon Martinez, Bill Mueller, Robb Nen, Armando Rios, Kirk Rueter and J.T. Snow.
Looking closely at the list: Benard, Estalella, Rios, all part of the BALCO scandal with Bonds.  Should be interesting.

Any of those guys still active? I think Fultz was last season, not sure if he still is or not.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 01, 2010, 08:24:40 AM »

Any of those guys still active? I think Fultz was last season, not sure if he still is or not.

Estes & Mueller -- together again!  And Bobby "I love my body" Estalella -- woo hoo!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Shameless Giants ticket selloff
« Reply #1480 on: April 01, 2010, 09:51:47 PM »
I've got pairs of tickets to a few Giants games in the first few months of the season that I'm offering up for sale. (I still share a pair of season tickets with a few friends.) I e-mailed a few of you directly, but if anyone else is interested, ping me back off the board and I'll send you the info.  A's, Phils, Astros and Rockies, and maybe a Cardinals game--still pondering going myself. Selling 'em at cost ($25 per ticket).

Anyone here interested in going to Friday night's A's/Giants exhibition at AT&T? I've got a pair that doesn't seem to be moving too quickly on StubHub. I'll let 'em go two-for-one ($25 for both), and I can send 'em to ya via the Giants Ticket Relay--I give the team your e-mail, they contact you, and you "associate" the tickets with a credit card or drivers' license number. Then you go to the park, swipe the card at one of their kiosks, and it prints the tickets out for you. Oh, and each ticket comes with $5 credit at any concession or souvenir stand at the game, but only on the day of the game. Any takers?  E-mail me off-list, urthwerm(at)yahoo-dot-com.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 02, 2010, 07:30:25 AM »

Anyone here interested in going to Friday night's A's/Giants exhibition at AT&T? I've got a pair that doesn't seem to be moving too quickly on StubHub. I'll let 'em go two-for-one ($25 for both), and I can send 'em to ya via the Giants Ticket Relay--I give the team your e-mail, they contact you, and you "associate" the tickets with a credit card or drivers' license number. Then you go to the park, swipe the card at one of their kiosks, and it prints the tickets out for you. Oh, and each ticket comes with $5 credit at any concession or souvenir stand at the game, but only on the day of the game. Any takers?  E-mail me off-list, urthwerm(at)yahoo-dot-com.

If it were a warm spring day here in SF I'd go... but it's gonna rain all day, apparently.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 02, 2010, 09:23:52 AM »

If it were a warm spring day here in SF I'd go... but it's gonna rain all day, apparently.

Then let's pray for a rainout!
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 02, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »

Then let's pray for a rainout!

Hope you move the tickets, urth, but just wanted to let folks know Travelzoo is having a promo for the remaining exhibition games at AT&T Park:

From the Travelzoo Newsdesk:

SAN FRANCISCO--MARCH 29, 2010-- Tickets to this week's three
San Francisco Giants exhibition games at AT&T Park were just
reduced as low as $3.50. This is the lowest price we have
seen for Giants games.

This deal is valid for the Thursday, April 1 and Friday,
April 2, 7:15 p.m. games against cross-town rival Oakland
A's, and the Sunday, April 4, 12:10 p.m. game against the
Seattle Mariners.

The available seat levels include:
- View Reserve ... $3.50
- Bleachers ... $5.50-$6
- Left Field Lower Box ... $12
- Lower Box ... $23

To buy tickets, click below to visit sfgiants.com. Enter
"SPRING" in the coupon code box after selecting the desired
game. Fees of $1.75 per ticket and $3.50 per order will be
added.
http://www.travelzoo.com/newsflash/68303326-780460/
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Tom Steinstra, Outdoors writer, arrested in pot case.
« Reply #1484 on: April 02, 2010, 01:22:48 PM »
Chron Outdoors writer Tom Stinestra arrested in pot case.  

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/02/BAJS1CP0PE.DTL&tsp=1

this is sports related b/c he's printed in the sports section, aka the Sporting GREEN

Awesome: He lives in Weed, CA!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:57:05 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~