Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415691 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1395 on: December 09, 2009, 03:30:47 PM »

It's not news that an athlete cheated on his wife with another woman. It would be if he had cheated on his wife with a man.

Quoted:

"God bless Tiger. This week we got a huge uplift: Front Page, News, Sports, Gossip. He just filtered through the whole place. It is better than Michael Jackson dying; it is kind of hard to put an ad next to a funeral."

— Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz tells a UBS conference that Tiger Woods has become an important man in her life.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 09, 2009, 04:00:24 PM »

It's not news that an athlete cheated on his wife with another woman. It would be if he had cheated on his wife with a man.

Quoted:

"God bless Tiger. This week we got a huge uplift: Front Page, News, Sports, Gossip. He just filtered through the whole place. It is better than Michael Jackson dying; it is kind of hard to put an ad next to a funeral."

— Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz tells a UBS conference that Tiger Woods has become an important man in her life.

Hah!  Willie Brown had an interesting observation in Sunday's Chron, something to the effect that Tiger led a sheltered life; "his father wouldn't allow him to date, even in college (!) ... I don't think Tiger discovered women until after he got married"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 10, 2009, 09:46:01 AM »
I was focusing more on the fact that a Fortune 100 CEO suggested that Michael Jackson DYING was good for business, but Tiger committing adultery was even better for business.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:48:55 AM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 10, 2009, 10:02:25 AM »
I was focusing more on the fact that a Fortune 100 CEO suggested that Michael Jackson DYING was good for business, but Tiger committing adultery was even better for business.

Makes the stomach hurt, dunnit?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1399 on: December 11, 2009, 09:42:42 PM »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: December 12, 2009, 12:31:11 PM »
Image of Golf Digest Tiger/Obama cover

Ooops.  Faux News will dine on that for days.

Yesterday I posted on FB that all these ex-"girlfriends" of Tiger's spilling the beans has given new meaning to the phrase "waking up with wood" -- and I got more comments than I've gotten on anything else I've posted there in the last 8 months.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 12, 2009, 10:05:30 PM »
WTF is up with the Sharks? Yikes, it's been a bad couple of weeks. Alicat! Help them!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 14, 2009, 07:12:43 PM »

WTF is up with the Sharks? Yikes, it's been a bad couple of weeks. Alicat! Help them!

maybe that 11-round shoot-out loss to the Stars really hit them emotionally.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: December 15, 2009, 07:38:18 AM »

maybe that 11-round shoot-out loss to the Stars really hit them emotionally.

here's hoping it does.. having 5 days off between that loss and their next game (Thurs) should give 'em plenty of time to think, for sure.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 15, 2009, 01:23:08 PM »
Hey Mark, whaddya think of the Cards offering Matt Holliday $130M over 8 years? (needless to say, his agent is Scott "The Evil One" Boras)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: December 16, 2009, 09:40:54 AM »
Stephen Colbert graces the cover of Sports Illustrated this week. Spandex suits him.

http://www.seattlepi.com/tv/1401ap_us_people_stephen_colbert.html

BTW did you see the related story about the US speedskater Shawni Davis who called Colbert (who has raised $250,000 for the team) "a jerk". Apparently Davis doesn't realize that Colbert is , y'know, a satirist when he makes fun of Canadians.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 16, 2009, 01:07:10 PM »

Hey Mark, whaddya think of the Cards offering Matt Holliday $130M over 8 years? (needless to say, his agent is Scott "The Evil One" Boras)

I think they can afford it.  Did you know that Holliday & Pujols are exactly one day apart in age?  Both turn 30 next month & if the Cards can sign Holliday they will almost certainly lock up Pujols (whose $14.6M contract has 1 year left) as well.  On the other hand, nothing would confirm early speculation of Prince Albert leaving than the failure to sign a cleanup hitter like Holliday.

If they sign Holliday, I think they will have a core of Pujols, Holliday, Yadier Molina Chris Carpenter, & Adam Wainwright for the next 2-3 yrs, and another 2-3 yrs of everyone but Carpenter (the only one over 30 today).  That group should provide 2-4 All-Stars every year barring injury.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Cy Young winners on the block
« Reply #1407 on: December 16, 2009, 01:41:11 PM »
Toronto sends Roy Halladay to the Phils; Phils in turn send Cliff Lee to the Mariners (!).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/12/16/sports/s115705S79.DTL&tsp=1

Not a bad deal for the Mariners, who also signed Chone Figgins last week. Could they finally be making a run at it?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Cy Young winners on the block
« Reply #1408 on: December 16, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »
Toronto sends Roy Halladay to the Phils; Phils in turn send Cliff Lee to the Mariners (!).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/12/16/sports/s115705S79.DTL&tsp=1

Not a bad deal for the Mariners, who also signed Chone Figgins last week. Could they finally be making a run at it?

They must be; if they can't do well with additions like that they should just give up. I guess they think the A's (who just gave up on Jack Cust) will continue to suck. Sadly, I think they're right.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Cy Young winners on the block
« Reply #1409 on: December 16, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »

They must be; if they can't do well with additions like that they should just give up. I guess they think the A's (who just gave up on Jack Cust) will continue to suck. Sadly, I think they're right.

Go M's!!

Did anyone pick Cust up yet?  I saw that yesterday and for whatever reason I dreamed about it last night.  Don't ask me why.

--Carlos Santana, 2010