Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415654 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1245 on: July 10, 2009, 09:40:16 PM »
 :o   :o   :o

Sanchez completes the no-no!!!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 10, 2009, 09:54:20 PM »

Amazing! the first Giants no-hitter since 1976 and it's not Cain, Lincecum or Johnson. It's a guy who got demoted to the bullpen last month, then came back because Johnson is hurt. It's Sanchez's first complete game, in fact. Best part: his dad, who flew in from Puerto Rico, was there -- the first time he's ever seen his son pitch in person in the majors! What a great story.

Obviously, it's also the first no-hitter at AT&T Park. And the catcher, Whiteside, was a last-minute sub for Molina, whose wife is about to give birth.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:56:23 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1247 on: July 10, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »

Amazing! the first Giants no-hitter since 1976 and it's not Cain, Lincecum or Johnson. It's a guy who got demoted to the bullpen last month, then came back because Johnson is hurt. It's Sanchez's first complete game, in fact. Best part: his dad, who flew in from Puerto Rico, was there -- the first time he's ever seen his son pitch in person in the majors! What a great story.

Obviously, it's also the first no-hitter at AT&T Park. And the catcher, Whiteside, was a last-minute sub for Molina, whose wife is about to give birth.
We had just come out of the SFMOMA and turned on the radio, and was shocked when we heard the score was 8-0, and Sanchez was entering the 9th inning with a no-hitter!  Good timing.  I was worried that I jinxed it, since I also started watching last night's game just before Lincecum gave up his first hit. 

Technically, his dad had seen him pitch before, but never as a MLB starter.  Turns out he's thrown 4 no-hitters in college!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 10, 2009, 10:21:02 PM »

We had just come out of the SFMOMA and turned on the radio, and was shocked when we heard the score was 8-0, and Sanchez was entering the 9th inning with a no-hitter!  Good timing.  I was worried that I jinxed it, since I also started watching last night's game just before Lincecum gave up his first hit. 

Technically, his dad had seen him pitch before, but never as a MLB starter.  Turns out he's thrown 4 no-hitters in college!

Well, that should increase his trade value. Word is the Giants have been shopping him around looking for some hitting help.

I'd much rather have seen that than the Giants game I saw a part of tonight. I went to a local sports pub/restaurant to get a burger and a beer tonight, and saw they had an Angels game on. Then I realized it was the Giants they were playing, and Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent were still wearing the orange and black. Turns out some Fox sports channel was replaying Game 6 of the 2002 series. Gee, thanks guys. Possibly the worst Giants game (in terms of changing momentum) in the last 20 years.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:31:08 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 11, 2009, 09:53:48 AM »

Amazing! the first Giants no-hitter since 1976 and it's not Cain, Lincecum or Johnson.

In 2007, Zito had just joined the G-men, Lincecum was a rookie, Sanchez in his 2nd year & Cain in his 3rd. 

Now suppose I told you that by the All-Star break of 2009 they would be joined by Randy Johnson.

And then I told you that 2 of them would be all-stars, a 3rd would pitch a no-hitter and one would have a cumulative record of 26-38 with a 4.74 ERA over that span...

I mean that's pretty much the definition of Whodathunkit!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: July 11, 2009, 04:56:48 PM »

Well, that should increase his trade value. Word is the Giants have been shopping him around looking for some hitting help.

I'd much rather have seen that than the Giants game I saw a part of tonight. I went to a local sports pub/restaurant to get a burger and a beer tonight, and saw they had an Angels game on. Then I realized it was the Giants they were playing, and Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent were still wearing the orange and black. Turns out some Fox sports channel was replaying Game 6 of the 2002 series. Gee, thanks guys. Possibly the worst Giants game (in terms of changing momentum) in the last 20 years.
It was a wonderful thing that I ended up at the game last night. Left work at 7:15 and after a fairly tiring day decided a train ride up to the ball park was a great pick me up and a way to sit and relax. Called Bob to say I was headed up to SF and got the green light.  I work a few blocks from the station so I caught the 7:35 and was in a seat by 8:15. What a treat that game was. Gal a few seats over from me and one row behind even caught a foul ball. Gave and got a post game wave from Kruk and shook hands with Renel who was pretty enthusiastic about saying she'd be back in/on radio sometime soon.

I'm now really looking forward to the All-Star break and homerun derby. Speaking of HRs, I was watching the LAA/NYY game today and there were plenty o HRs. I love baseball.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 11, 2009, 07:28:01 PM »
Sandoval may have missed the All-Star game by a hair (a close 2nd in the voting) but screw 'em -- the Panda just hit another HR.

ETA: it's raining at the ballpark! WTF??
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:58:26 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 11, 2009, 08:41:17 PM »
Sandoval may have missed the All-Star game by a hair (a close 2nd in the voting) but screw 'em -- the Panda just hit another HR.

Just saw that Cain didn't last through the second inning? WTF? Unless it was a rain delay, I'm worried.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 11, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »

Just saw that Cain didn't last through the second inning? WTF? Unless it was a rain delay, I'm worried.
not to worry.  Even a beautiful rainbow!  2-1 over the Padres!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 11, 2009, 10:14:50 PM »

He got hit in the elbow by a ball hit right back at him -- contusion, apparently. Looks like he may not be able to pitch in the All-Star Game. Which totally sucks.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 11, 2009, 11:37:57 PM »

He got hit in the elbow by a ball hit right back at him -- contusion, apparently. Looks like he may not be able to pitch in the All-Star Game. Which totally sucks.

Man, that's for sure, considering he's finally having the kind of year he deserves. Totally eff-yew-see-kayd.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 12, 2009, 11:40:53 AM »

Man, that's for sure, considering he's finally having the kind of year he deserves. Totally eff-yew-see-kayd.

UPDATE: He's not going to St Louis; X-rays show no major damage (tho' he's black-n-blue). So he gets to rest and recover until next weekend. The G-men get an extra day off Thurs and can shuffle the rotation starting Friday.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
freakin' Zito
« Reply #1257 on: July 12, 2009, 10:25:24 PM »
'nuff said!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: freakin' Zito
« Reply #1258 on: July 13, 2009, 07:36:14 AM »
'nuff said!

He got rocked. And not in the Andy Kim sense.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 13, 2009, 12:30:34 PM »
Timmy Linseed-cum gets the nod over Haren; he'll start tomo'w nite:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?entry_id=43486&tsp=1