Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415856 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1215 on: June 04, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
I was able to watch most of the game today while correcting papers.  There really were some incredible moments that preserved the win.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 300
« Reply #1216 on: June 04, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
I was able to watch most of the game today while correcting papers.  There really were some incredible moments that preserved the win.

that is a true understatement!  one of those moments was the called third strike w the bases loaded to end the bottom of the 8th.  That low fastball by Brian Wilson was really ball four, and would have walked Adam Dunn and forced in the tying run, thus giving the Big Unit a no-decision.  Luckily, the ump called strike three, surprising everyone, and giving the (remaining) WashNat fans a chance to see history.

~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 04, 2009, 09:53:37 PM »

that is a true understatement!  one of those moments was the called third strike w the bases loaded to end the bottom of the 8th.  That low fastball by Brian Wilson was really ball four, and would have walked Adam Dunn and forced in the tying run, thus giving the Big Unit a no-decision.  Luckily, the ump called strike three, surprising everyone, and giving the (remaining) WashNat fans a chance to see history.

it looked low at first to me too, but I have seen pitches like that called strikes, and it's hard to imagine why the batter laid off on the pitch.  I also thought the second out of that incredible double play looked iffy too.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 05, 2009, 08:45:32 AM »

it looked low at first to me too, but I have seen pitches like that called strikes, and it's hard to imagine why the batter laid off on the pitch.  I also thought the second out of that incredible double play looked iffy too.

I didn't see any of the game, but congrats to the Big Eunuch (as we liked to call him when he played on other teams).

Also congrats to Matt Cain, who is finally having a year where he not only pitches well, but gets run support too.  Also, he's on my fantasy team this year.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 05, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
the Big Eunuch (as we liked to call him when he played on other teams).

Bwhahahaha! One of the great pitchers, obviously, but a seriously unattractive dude -- there are not many ugly baseball players (I would be hard-pressed to name 3), but damn they saved up all the fugly for ol' Randy.

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1220 on: June 15, 2009, 01:11:14 PM »
will it ever end? Brett Favre  will be on HBO Mon nite, on the premiere of "Joe Buck Live" (their attempt to replace "Costas Now", I guess):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/06/15/sports/s114752D36.DTL&tsp=1

But check out this hilaious bit from the comments section:

Brett Farve is expected tonight to come out with some news

Joe Buck is expected tonight to come out

ROTFL!  I see I'm not the only one who's heard that rumor...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 18, 2009, 12:57:28 PM »
will it ever end? Brett Favre  will be on HBO Mon nite, on the premiere of "Joe Buck Live" (their attempt to replace "Costas Now", I guess):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/06/15/sports/s114752D36.DTL&tsp=1

But check out this hilaious bit from the comments section:

Brett Farve is expected tonight to come out with some news

Joe Buck is expected tonight to come out

ROTFL!  I see I'm not the only one who's heard that rumor...

I've mentioned before that back when Costas was just a St. Louis sports guy his statistician and all around go to guy was my downstairs neighbor, Steve Horn, and Steve has stuck with Costas throughout his career.  Years later, when Joe Buck (who initially replaced his dad as the voice of the Cardinals) went national with Fox, he asked Costas for any advice, and Costas said, "Hire Steve Horn", which he did.   And Steve Horn was still living in the apartment downstairs with his widowed mom & old maid aunt well into his 40's....
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 20, 2009, 07:45:07 PM »
Holy crap! I didn't realize Omar Vizquel was *playing* for the Rangers!  I'd heard Kruk or Kuip say a few weeks back "we're looking forward to seeing Omar when Texas comes to town" and just assumed he'd retired and was working there as a coach.

BTW, the pre-game ceremony for Randy Johnson's 300th win was pretty nice; Tom Seaver looks great!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 20, 2009, 09:53:06 PM »
Holy crap! I didn't realize Omar Vizquel was *playing* for the Rangers!  I'd heard Kruk or Kuip say a few weeks back "we're looking forward to seeing Omar when Texas comes to town" and just assumed he'd retired and was working there as a coach.

BTW, the pre-game ceremony for Randy Johnson's 300th win was pretty nice; Tom Seaver looks great!

got home just in time to see that wild pitch ending to the game in the 11th!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 27, 2009, 05:34:31 PM »
Giants @ Brewers: it's apparently Latino Heritage Night at Miller Park (there are Latinos in Wisconsin?)  and of course the G-Men are wearing their "Gigantes" unis, while the Brew Crew are "Los Cerveceros"  LOL!

Appropriately, Pablo Sandoval has hit 2 Homers so far (and it's only the 5th!).

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 27, 2009, 10:58:31 PM »
Giants @ Brewers: it's apparently Latino Heritage Night at Miller Park (there are Latinos in Wisconsin?)  and of course the G-Men are wearing their "Gigantes" unis, while the Brew Crew are "Los Cerveceros"  LOL!

popped into the local diner for dinner, and watched them give it away!  Aaargh!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 28, 2009, 12:05:56 AM »

popped into the local diner for dinner, and watched them give it away!  Aaargh!
yes, that sucked.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 28, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »
Watching Mets/Yanks on ESPN. Astounded to see that (a) former Giant Livan Hernandez is a Met and (b) they apparently love him (!)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 29, 2009, 07:39:11 PM »
Another complete game for Lincecum -- a shutout, in fact, as the Giants clobber the Cards 10-0.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 30, 2009, 08:40:30 AM »
Another complete game for Lincecum -- a shutout, in fact, as the Giants clobber the Cards 10-0.
Kruk and Kuip kills me on the post game show.They are the best ever.  Listened to that as I drove 0-3 mph getting into the Coliseum last night. Made the crawl enjoyable.
Sharks bleed teal.