Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415695 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1200 on: May 15, 2009, 08:13:24 AM »
Most unfortunate headline of the Week:  The Raiders' Robert Gallery is organizing a "car cruise" to benefit the 4 Oakland police officers killed recently. SFGate Headline:

Gallery cruises for fallen cops
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: May 15, 2009, 11:11:34 AM »
Most unfortunate headline of the Week:  The Raiders' Robert Gallery is organizing a "car cruise" to benefit the 4 Oakland police officers killed recently. SFGate Headline:

Gallery cruises for fallen cops

Ooops!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: May 15, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »
going to the Giants gm tonight.  anyone else?  sitting up in the Japanese Heritage section -- way upper deck 3rd base side, I think.
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: May 15, 2009, 11:49:25 AM »
going to the Giants gm tonight.  anyone else?  sitting up in the Japanese Heritage section -- way upper deck 3rd base side, I think.

Wish I could say I was--have a $9 beer for me--none of that $8 domestic macrobrew swill, thank you!

May see if I can catch a Beavers game or something, I've got a baseball jones something fierce. But if I can hold out another week, I am headed up to Seattle to see our Giants play the Ms next Sunday. First time to Safeco Field, I'm looking forward to it. Hope the weather is nice enough to keep the roof open.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 17, 2009, 07:16:17 PM »
Anyone watching this Giants/Mets game? The Mets pitcher has 3 balks thru 7 innings  -- plus a 4th that the ESPN announcers caught but the umpires missed!  Methinks he has bats in his Pelfrey (har har).

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1205 on: May 17, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »
Anyone watching this Giants/Mets game? The Mets pitcher has 3 balks thru 7 innings  -- plus a 4th that the ESPN announcers caught but the umpires missed!  Methinks he has bats in his Pelfrey (har har).
I just tuned in at the end, and couldn't believe we had actually beaten those pesky Mets.  It looked like we were about to give it away, bases loaded, in the 8th, but hey, it's good to get lucky now and then, innit?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: May 17, 2009, 08:12:21 PM »

Wish I could say I was--have a $9 beer for me--none of that $8 domestic macrobrew swill, thank you!

May see if I can catch a Beavers game or something, I've got a baseball jones something fierce. But if I can hold out another week, I am headed up to Seattle to see our Giants play the Ms next Sunday. First time to Safeco Field, I'm looking forward to it. Hope the weather is nice enough to keep the roof open.
well, I'm sure Giants fans know that Fridays game was disappointing: Lincecum was working w a 5-1 lead and then had nothing left as he started the sixth.  After that, the bullpen -- esp Merkin (Merkin?! isn't that a crotch wig?) Valdez -- gave it up and the G-Men lost 8-6.  But check out this sweeet Giants sake set they gave away as part of the special Japanese Heritage ticket:

btw, the Japanese characters apparently mean "Big Person" -- which is how the Japanese say "giant"
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: May 17, 2009, 09:39:01 PM »

well, I'm sure Giants fans know that Fridays game was disappointing: Lincecum was working w a 5-1 lead and then had nothing left as he started the sixth.  After that, the bullpen -- esp Merkin (Merkin?! isn't that a crotch wig?) Valdez -- gave it up and the G-Men lost 8-6.  But check out this sweeet Giants sake set they gave away as part of the special Japanese Heritage ticket:

btw, the Japanese characters apparently mean "Big Person" -- which is how the Japanese say "giant"

Wow--that's one of the best Giants premiums they've had, maybe ever. Was that for the first, say 10,000 fans, or just those sitting in the Japanese Heritage section?
Let's get right to it.

SFGuy

« Reply #1208 on: May 18, 2009, 12:19:14 AM »

Wow--that's one of the best Giants premiums they've had, maybe ever. Was that for the first, say 10,000 fans, or just those sitting in the Japanese Heritage section?

The giveaway was for people sitting in the Japanese Heritage section only. They have several of these throughout the year. I'm a season ticket holder and had to buy an extra ticket last year for the Lefty O'Doul bobblehead.

And Tinka_Cat, Merkin's name is pronounced (at least the Giants say) Mer-keen.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: May 18, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »

After that, the bullpen -- esp Merkin (Merkin?! isn't that a crotch wig?) Valdez -- gave it up and the G-Men lost 8-6.  But check out this sweeet Giants sake set they gave away as part of the special Japanese Heritage ticket:

The giveaway was for people sitting in the Japanese Heritage section only. They have several of these throughout the year. I'm a season ticket holder and had to buy an extra ticket last year for the Lefty O'Doul bobblehead.

Ha! yeah, I think that's how you properly say it. 

Then again, I could call my hairstyle a "ma-LAY," saying that it's French, but if it's business in the front and party in the back, it's still a mullett.  :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:05:34 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: May 18, 2009, 08:55:52 AM »

Ha! yeah, I think that's how you properly say it. 

Then again, I could call my hairstyle a "ma-LAY," saying that it's French, but if it's business in the front and party in the back, it's still a mullett.  :)

No truth to the rumor that they're giving away orange-and-black cockrings for LGBT night. ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: May 20, 2009, 12:42:37 AM »

I made my first trip to Safeco in April.  A few photos in my Facebook album.  In my top 5 stadiums, though behind SF, Philly and the Burgh.  Good beer.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 29, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »
I guess the Rockies don't mind being the first to say 'goodbye'--Clint Hurdle got shown the door today. His replacement? Jim Tracy.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/05/29/sports/s133958D66.DTL
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 29, 2009, 03:08:49 PM »

I made my first trip to Safeco in April.  A few photos in my Facebook album.  In my top 5 stadiums, though behind SF, Philly and the Burgh.  Good beer.

Safeco also makes Bruce Jenkins' Top Five:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/threedotblog/detail?blogid=60&entry_id=39989
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 30, 2009, 12:28:45 AM »

Safeco also makes Bruce Jenkins' Top Five:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/threedotblog/detail?blogid=60&entry_id=39989

We really enjoyed the afternoon we spent at Safeco. Nice park, roomier than the Big Phone (but they didn't have to shoehorn it onto a postage-stamp-size lot, either. Good food, good beer, great weather, nice views of the city, the water and the railroad yard (really). And we found a great street vendor just outside the main gate selling amazing burgers (with bacon jam--yes, you read that right) and vietnamese lemongrass pulled pork sandwiches that rocked. (www.skilletstreetfood.com).

Now if only the Giants had been able to hang on for the win. Alas, Zito reverted to his former self and gave up a three-run job to Beltre right after the Giants got up by a run.
Let's get right to it.