Author Topic: The Facebook Thread  (Read 69767 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Facebook Thread
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:49:37 AM »
Well, since we're all (or most of us) Facebooking now, we might as well have a thread about it.

Did anyone else get an invitation from Geoff to join a 10@10 Facebook group? I accidentally deleted it, but there's no mention on his page of having created such a group, unless I'm missing something.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:51:37 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Facebook Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 08:03:30 AM »
Did anyone else get an invitation from Geoff to join a 10@10 Facebook group?

I just sent you an invitation.  Hadn't been to the group in a while, and just noticed a lot of unfamiliar names there - cool!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »

I just sent you an invitation.  Hadn't been to the group in a while, and just noticed a lot of unfamiliar names there - cool!

Thanks -- I'm still learning the ins-n-outs of FB; like the diff between my Home page and my Profile page.  ;)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:47:49 AM »

Thanks -- I'm still learning the ins-n-outs of FB; like the diff between my Home page and my Profile page.  ;)
looking forward to new home page where I can tailor more.  One of my "friends" is a musician, and takes up most of my home page with all of his new friend announcements.  I understand what he's doing, but I don't need to know about every one of his 3,000 friends!  Although, some of them are also my friends, and it's been useful.  Hmmm...
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:28:29 AM »

looking forward to new home page where I can tailor more.  One of my "friends" is a musician, and takes up most of my home page with all of his new friend announcements.  I understand what he's doing, but I don't need to know about every one of his 3,000 friends!  Although, some of them are also my friends, and it's been useful.  Hmmm...

You can turn off those announcements in the prefs.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:32:05 AM »
ch-ch-ch-changes...  Some aren't happy with the revised Facebook features:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/18/BU2416GB4F.DTL&tsp=1

thoughts?

SFGuy

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »
I must be the only one who is not on Facebook, My Space or even Twitter. And I have no plans to go on those sites.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 08:27:14 PM »
damn, now I'm getting facebook spam.  phony messages pretending to be from facebook.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 08:57:10 PM »
damn, now I'm getting facebook spam.  phony messages pretending to be from facebook.

can you paste one here? 
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 09:40:58 PM »
ch-ch-ch-changes...  Some aren't happy with the revised Facebook features:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/18/BU2416GB4F.DTL&tsp=1

thoughts?

We the public need to remind ourselves that this is a fricking free service and Facebook needn't get our permission to do what they want with their layouts.

Having said that, Facebook risks squandering some well-earned but potentially fickle customer capital when it doesn't give the customer something very simple in response (that being, the option not to switch to an updated layout).

I use few apps and know how to find who I want there, so while I don't care for the revision, I'm not wound up about it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »

can you paste one here? 
subject line:
Facebook Alert <support31@facebook.com>

body:
Messages from Your Friends on Facebook, March 19, 2009

You have 1 Personal Message:
Video title: "Amanda is dancing on Striptease Dance Party, March 14, 2009! We're absolutely shocked!".

Proceed to view full video message:

etc....

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »
Yikes.  I've never received anything like that.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 06:57:42 PM »
I get tons of them, but I get a lot of spam anyway, having ancient public email addresses.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »

It's amazing no one thought of it before. So they send those to people who aren't on Facebook too, I presume? 

I haven't gotten one yet, but I do get those ridiculous (and ubiquitous) "we want to award you a PhD" emails.  And of course SPAM about "my account" at a bank I don't actually have an account at.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 09:32:52 AM »

It's amazing no one thought of it before. So they send those to people who aren't on Facebook too, I presume? 

I haven't gotten one yet, but I do get those ridiculous (and ubiquitous) "we want to award you a PhD" emails.  And of course SPAM about "my account" at a bank I don't actually have an account at.

those aren't just spams, they're scams.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010