Author Topic: The Facebook Thread  (Read 69869 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: The Facebook Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 09:17:21 AM »
I haven't been able to get to Facebook since before noon.  Seems like a major server crash on their end.
seems OK here.

Perhaps Kaiser has blocked Facebook access from your network. I've heard of other businesses doing it, theorizing that it's costing them lost work hours while their employees figure out what their 25 random things are.
hard to say.  I wasn't home during the day, and Facebook is blocked at our school.  We were getting intermittent power losses at home yesterday afternoon due to the high winds; perhaps some servers related to Kaiser and/or Facebook were fritzing when you tried to access.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2009, 09:53:15 AM »
Kids who use Facebook are, like, totally stupid! For reals!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfmoms/detail?entry_id=38635
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 03:55:30 PM »
Could Facebook cost you your job?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8018329.stm

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
A friend posted this story on FB: he woke up this morning to find his ceiling was leaking; no one in the condo upstairs was answering the door. They eventually got into the upstairs apt; turns out the guy defaulted on his mortgae and split, and he STOLE EVERYTHING that came with the place -- appliances, even plumbing fixtures (so, literally, everything including the kitchen sink!). One of the exposed pipes sprang a leak and eventually started coming thru my friend's ceiling.  And to top it off the former upstairs neighbor was a gun nut -- the floors were covered with ammo casings!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »
A friend posted this story on FB: he woke up this morning to find his ceiling was leaking; no one in the condo upstairs was answering the door. They eventually got into the upstairs apt; turns out the guy defaulted on his mortgae and split, and he STOLE EVERYTHING that came with the place -- appliances, even plumbing fixtures (so, literally, everything including the kitchen sink!). One of the exposed pipes sprang a leak and eventually started coming thru my friend's ceiling.  And to top it off the former upstairs neighbor was a gun nut -- the floors were covered with ammo casings!

Wow. Now we'll have to change the saying to "everything but the shells".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 10:57:27 PM »
the guy defaulted on his mortgae and split, and he STOLE EVERYTHING that came with the place

And people wonder why I doubt the essential goodness of Man.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »
the guy defaulted on his mortgae and split, and he STOLE EVERYTHING that came with the place

And people wonder why I doubt the essential goodness of Man.

A friend of mine who does taxes for a living has heard a lot of unhappy stories over the last couple years.  Last year it was people losing their houses, this year people losing their jobs (and more houses).  People feel helpless and wronged.  This, in some cases, turns to rage, and some people decide to destroy what they can't keep.  Jeff tries to disuade people from this course, but doesn't always succeed.  People aren't necessarily evil, just stupid and emotional.  The essential goodness of man goes out the window when you take everything away from him (or he percieves that you have).

I'm not excusing peoples' bad behavior, but I understand where it's coming from.  When you sell people a dream and then the dream world crashes around them, there are going to be consequences.  What really surprises me is the relative calm that has surrounded this collapse.  You'd think people would be taking to the streets, storming CEO mansions, etc...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 09:08:48 AM »
I'm not excusing peoples' bad behavior, but I understand where it's coming from.  When you sell people a dream and then the dream world crashes around them, there are going to be consequences.  What really surprises me is the relative calm that has surrounded this collapse.  You'd think people would be taking to the streets, storming CEO mansions, etc...

I wonder if part of that is because the collapse happened during a GOP administration; it seems to me that's taken a lot of the wind out of the sort of right-wing populist anger that we would've seen had it happened at the tail end of, say Al Gore's 2nd term. Can you imagine what Fox News etc would've been whipping up had that been the case? The best they can do, with a confident/competent Dem in the White House, is that silly teabag thing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:14:12 AM by RGMike »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 09:15:45 AM »

That's what I'm on about!!!  More of that.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 09:23:45 AM »

I'd imagine roast Limbaugh would cook up nice'n'tender, what with all that fat.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 08:34:11 AM »

I'd imagine roast Limbaugh would cook up nice'n'tender, what with all that fat.

Nice. I'm now thinking swine flu or bacon for breakfast..........
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 10:56:55 PM »
Anyone else had issues logging into FB in the last day or so? I haven't been able to log in since yesterday--just keep getting some "site maintenance" error message, and I haven't gotten a single notification e-mail either, which is very odd for an entire day. And their help section, like all good help sections, just takes you in circles.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
On Wednesday (5/20) someone started a "Tell Dick Cheney to Shut the Hell Up" group on FB. Barely 48 hours later, it already has over 55,600 "fans". LOL!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 01:08:14 PM »
Facebook Funny of the Day: My old ABC co-worker Rita Houston, who's now music director at WFUV, posted earlier: "Portia DeRossi is on 'Ellen' today!"  To which one wag replied: "I thought it was the other way around!"  LOL! Damn, wish I'd thought of that...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 09:05:02 AM »
Jon Carroll sums up FB perfectly:

I have to talk about Facebook. I bet you have an opinion about Facebook, even if you've never been on it. People on Facebook have opinions about Facebook, and often start petitions asking Facebook to stop doing something or start doing something or, basically, leave them the hell alone.

(Please don't friend me on Facebook, unless we have already shared a meal or fluids. I already have 579 friends on Facebook, most of whom are not my friends. They are friends of friends, which is fine, and I don't really have to do anything to maintain this "friendship" and can in fact cancel it, but I think 579 friends is enough for any person, particularly for a guy who doesn't even like big parties very much.)

Some people think that having all these people somehow invading your space is creepy. But my Facebook space is not my actual space; it's this little fake world I've created using a few harmless facts about myself. I am not looking for a mate or a cause; I'm not looking for gossip. Besides, why would I care about gossip about people I don't know?

OTOH, most of my family is on Facebook, and real friends in other parts of the country and world, and it's sort of like getting postcards from them from time to time. Plus: videos of cats playing the piano. There's now Twitter-Facebook crossbreeding going on, but I don't Twitter because, well, I don't know. The people who love it love it. Maybe it's great. I'm already at my computer too much.

Ah, but the thing about Facebook is the applications. Everyone out there in the universe is writing applications for Facebook. There must be money in it. There are quizzes; oh my yes. What "Star Wars" character are you? What state should you really be living in? What candy bar are you most like? And on and on.

Also - maybe I should not tell you this - but there's something called the Lil Green Patch (the lack of apostrophe does not make me happy), which allegedly helps the rain forest as you send imaginary plants back and forth, and another one that helps the oceans, and dear heavens I don't know what all. Oh, and you can poke people and send them eggs and throw things at them, all in a virtual way.

Time on my hands? Sure, but not that much.