Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 6/2/08  (Read 2744 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 6/2/08
« on: June 06, 2008, 12:42:41 PM »
new to me on CGSS: Marlena Shaw's very nice cover of Marvin & Tammi's "California Soul" (an Ashford & Simpson comp). I should investigate Ms. Shaw's catalog -- I've always loved her "Go Away Little Boy". And didn't she put out an LP called The Bitch is Black?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 6/2/08
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 08:59:35 PM »
new to me on CGSS: Marlena Shaw's very nice cover of Marvin & Tammi's "California Soul" (an Ashford & Simpson comp). I should investigate Ms. Shaw's catalog -- I've always loved her "Go Away Little Boy". And didn't she put out an LP called The Bitch is Black?
I've never heard of her, it, or it.  But I do have a 5D cover of "California Soul" that's comically unsoulful.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:19:34 PM »
Barry Scott's early highlight this week: Polly something-or-other, "Up in a Puff of Smoke."  Best non-Diana Diana Ross ever.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »
Barry Scott's early highlight this week: Polly something-or-other, "Up in a Puff of Smoke."  Best non-Diana Diana Ross ever.

Polly Brown.  Best white Diana Ross, at any rate ;)  A British woman, she was the lead singer of Pickettywitch, who did "That Same Old Feeling", also done by the Fortunes (best non-Frankie Valli Frankie Valli ever)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:35:07 PM »
Missed much of the set, but I'll give BS BOS to Frida's "I Know There's Something Going On."  Fierce!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 09:54:56 PM »
ooo! Li'l Steven segues nicely from his Dean Martin salute to a Nancy Sinatra's Birthday set (or 2). Tell me 'bout Phaedra, baby. Lee Hazlewood rules!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 10:06:54 PM »
ooo! Li'l Steven segues nicely from his Dean Martin salute to a Nancy Sinatra's Birthday set (or 2). Tell me 'bout Phaedra, baby. Lee Hazlewood rules!

OMFG! Steven plays Nancy's nifty cover/gender-reworking of the Beatles' "Run For Your Life" ("catch you with another girl/that's the end-uh! little boy!"). Take THAT, you misogynist moptops!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 10:18:44 PM »
OMFG-to-the-Nth-power: Steven's "Coolest Song in the World" this week is by the Mother Truckers! It's more than a tad "Honky-Tonk Woman"-ish, but it rocks.