Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 5/26/08  (Read 4147 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 5/26/08
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:44:26 PM »
Sweeney's '60s Classics on CG is really not to be missed -- I've got to start working it into my regular rotation.  The "non-hits" are even more interesting than the chart-toppers.  Billy J Kramer's Hollies-ish "From a Window", which i don't remember doing anything over here, followed by Mama Cass' "Getting Better Every Day", apparently her only UK solo hit.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 5/26/08
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 01:14:47 PM »
Hooray for Sweeney for playing the Monkees' "Randy Scouse Git" (aka "Alternate Title" in the UK).

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 02:20:23 PM »
Over to WLNG, and here's Jefferson's fab, forgotten "Take Me In your Arms".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:37:48 PM »
OMFG! the 3DN song you truly never hear: "Pieces of April", one of their few ballads.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:16:54 PM »
OMFG! the 3DN song you truly never hear: "Pieces of April", one of their few ballads.

Many years ago, when I accessed Usenet from college, the rec.music.oldies group had a thread on songs about murders.  As a joke, I offered "Pieces of April."  To which a fellow smartass almost instantly replied: "Is that why there was a mourning in May?"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:57:19 AM »
just logged on to Vin Scelsa's most recent show -- getting the Band's cover of "Atlantic City", and the playlist promises the Bonzo Dog Band's "Death cab For Cutie", as well as a segue from the Holy Modal Rounders to the 5th Dimension.  Only Scelsa...

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:54:24 AM »
the playlist promises the Bonzo Dog Band's "Death cab For Cutie

and here it is -- Vin refers to DCFC (the band) as "that group everybody's agog over these days". Way to sound like my grandfather, dude.  Meanwhile DCFC (the song) is an underwhelming '50s pastiche. But Scelsa segues into a much better '50s pastiche: Robert Gordon's cover of Broooce's "Fire".

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »

and here it is -- Vin refers to DCFC (the band) as "that group everybody's agog over these days". Way to sound like my grandfather, dude.  Meanwhile DCFC (the song) is an underwhelming '50s pastiche. But Scelsa segues into a much better '50s pastiche: Robert Gordon's cover of Broooce's "Fire".

I listened to most of that yesterday, but doubt I'll get to hear the end. Great set, but wish you could advance to any selected point in mid-set rather than having to start at the beginning. (Yes, I know I bitched about this before. When I get around to making a contribution to FUV, believe me theywill hear about it.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 12:26:39 PM »

I listened to most of that yesterday, but doubt I'll get to hear the end. Great set, but wish you could advance to any selected point in mid-set rather than having to start at the beginning. (Yes, I know I bitched about this before. When I get around to making a contribution to FUV, believe me theywill hear about it.)

did you get to hear the Scarlett Johanssen stuff? I dunno if I really want to ::)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:53:54 PM »
OMFG! Scelsa's playing Flight of the Conchords, "Ladies of the World" -- one of their absolute funniest songs.

"ah don't care if ya ugly
or ya skanky or ya small --
ah just wanna do something
special for ya all"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »

did you get to hear the Scarlett Johanssen stuff? I dunno if I really want to ::)

well, now I have. Scelsa's trying to compare her to Nico. Er, Vin? No. Not really.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 09:56:17 AM »

well, now I have. Scelsa's trying to compare her to Nico. Er, Vin? No. Not really.

That was about the last thing I heard. I didn't catch the second song of Scarlett's. Didn't think much of the first one--seemed pretty overly produced (duh).
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 11:52:36 AM »
gearing up for CGSS and Paul Coyte plays the Cat Man's "Days of the Old Schoolyard", which i haven't heard in ages, mah love-loveydove. 

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 09:24:19 PM »
A late start (9:10) for Li'l Steven tonite, and he's doing his Sgt Pepper anniversary show.  Given all the hoopla last year for the 40th, methinks he coulda skipped this year.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 09:39:04 PM »
A late start (9:10) for Li'l Steven tonite, and he's doing his Sgt Pepper anniversary show.  Given all the hoopla last year for the 40th, methinks he coulda skipped this year.

But OTOH... most of the non-current songs he's playing are from the charts of June '67, and he just played the wonderful "It's Cold Outside" by the Choir, aka 3/4 of the Raspberries (no Eric Carmen, but everyone else; not to be confused with PezBand's similarly Beatle-esque "Baby It's Cold Outside").