Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385644 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #315 on: August 10, 2008, 04:02:54 PM »
The most recent '80s countdown I've heard yet: Aug. 6, 1988.

That was Casey's final show!!!

So, did he say goodbye at the end -- I seem to remember that he did, but they may have edited it for this version.
Seriously?  I had no idea!  I had to leave @ #10 (George Michael's "Monkey," in which, keeping with the Doobie theme you mentioned earlier, Casey doesn't mention that definition) for a picnic; I should tune into another rebroadcast tonight to find out.

But first, Barry Scott ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 10, 2008, 08:59:25 PM »
The most recent '80s countdown I've heard yet: Aug. 6, 1988.

That was Casey's final show!!!

So, did he say goodbye at the end -- I seem to remember that he did, but they may have edited it for this version.
No allusion to this at all, though he did plug his TV show, America's Top 10.

ETA: But Wikipedia confirms that this was indeed his last date: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Top_40
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 14, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »
This weekend (8/16-17) Casey70's visits Aug 13, 1977. Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/2959568.pdf

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 16, 2008, 07:11:53 PM »
This weekend (8/16-17) Casey70's visits Aug 13, 1977. Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/2959568.pdf

the countdown begins with 3 very nice forgotten hits: Glen Campbell's "Sunflower" (a Neil Diamond comp), the BeeGees' live "Edge of the Universe", and Hot Chocolate's fab "So You Win Again".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2008, 07:48:26 PM »
Casey gives Elvis' terriffic "Way Down" a big intro -- this show was recorded a week before Presley's death, so following the King with "Cold as Ice" wasn't the Moreyesque seque then that it seems now.

And I'd completely forgotten that the London Symphony's version of "Star Wars" made the Top 40 several weeks before Meco's.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 16, 2008, 08:16:23 PM »
Casey gives Elvis' terriffic "Way Down" a big intro -- this show was recorded a week before Presley's death, so following the King with "Cold as Ice" wasn't the Moreyesque seque then that it seems now.

And I'd completely forgotten that the London Symphony's version of "Star Wars" made the Top 40 several weeks before Meco's.
I'm listening to this now.  Loved Hot Chocolate's "So You Win Again" (the Campbell and Bee Gees, not really) and Johnny Rivers' "Slow Dancin'."  Weird to hear Elvis knowing what was just around the corner.  And OMGWTFLOL to the Floaters, who like all women of the world.  And in Charles's case, ARE like all women of the world.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 16, 2008, 09:40:29 PM »
News to me: The Commodores started out backing up the Jackson 5, sez Casey.

VHMs to Helen Reddy's tour de force on "You're My World," Barry's queer grandeur on "Looks Like We Made It," and Babs's queerer grandeur on "My Heart Belongs to Me."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2008, 06:53:42 AM »
Casey's '80s hit this week in 1985.  Heart of my Top 40 listening, so nothing here is unfamiliar; BOS votes to Lisa Lisa et al's "I Wonder if I Take You Home," RFTW's "Oh Sheila," and Madonna's unfairly forgotten "Dress You Up."

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 17, 2008, 10:29:08 AM »
I'm listening now to the 77 show. Unfortunately I missed the beginning and Glen Campbell (today's Chronicle Pop Quiz subject), Bee Gees and Hot Chocolate, and I just suffered through Shaun Cassidy's Da Doo Ron Ron. 

This is great stuff, but I forgot how radio (AM back in those days, of course) would rely on the sub-three minute radio edit versions of songs.  Reminds me of the K-Tel's 'Dynamite' LP I got for xmas which had 20 (!) songs on it, each less than 2 mins, I'm sure:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:49:43 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 17, 2008, 11:27:50 AM »
I'm listening now to the 77 show. Unfortunately I missed the beginning and Glen Campbell (today's Chronicle Pop Quiz subject), Bee Gees and Hot Chocolate, and I just suffered through Shaun Cassidy's Da Doo Ron Ron. 

Just read the review in EW of Glen Campbell's new CD -- he's 72! -- and he does covers of John Lennon, Jackson Browne, the Replacements (!), U2 and TP (I'll bet his version of Petty's "Walls" is dead-on perfect).

ETA: and now I just read the Chronicle piece -- rather nice, and Aidin Vaiziri kept his snark at a low level for a change.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:00:44 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 17, 2008, 08:44:26 PM »
Casey gives Elvis' terriffic "Way Down" a big intro -- this show was recorded a week before Presley's death

Dumb question: Why didn't his death send "Way Down" way up to the Top 10?

Not so dumb question: Why isn't the BCRs' "You Made Me Believe in Magic" better remembered?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 17, 2008, 10:07:03 PM »
Also meant to mention that the phrase "smoke from a distant fire" never actually appears in that song (they sing "smoke OF a distant fire").

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 18, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »
Casey gives Elvis' terriffic "Way Down" a big intro -- this show was recorded a week before Presley's death

Dumb question: Why didn't his death send "Way Down" way up to the Top 10?

Well... it had pretty much peaked when he died, it was on its way down... and it did reverse course and go back up to #18, which is fairly unheard-of as it is. It hit # 1 Country, however.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 22, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
This weekend (8/23-24) Casey70's visits Aug 30, 1975. Playlist:
http://www.wbbgfm.com/pages/pp_caseykasem.html

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 22, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »
This weekend (8/23-24) Casey70's visits Aug 30, 1975. Playlist:
http://www.wbbgfm.com/pages/pp_caseykasem.html

coupla classic HFHs there --Austin Roberts' atrocious "Rocky" and of course "Run Joey Run". But worth tuning in for the Carpenters lovely cover of Neil Sedacky (by cracky), "Solitaire", the only Top 40 hit of theirs that's NOT on my 2-disc best-of.