Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1398429 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #300 on: August 09, 2008, 07:27:44 AM »
This weekend (8/9-10) Casey's 70's visits Aug 4, 1973:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/2937548.pdf
I woke up at 10 EST, so I tuned in to the Chico, CA, countdown - and they were doing last week's 1971 set.
Fucking Chico stoners.  Ah well, nothing in positions #40-#27 from '73 is new to me, though I would have enjoyed hearing the Foster Sylvers and Gladys Knight/Pips tunes.
Yes, it's annoying when stations don't stick to schedule. I notice that Seattle station hasn't been timely in posting the weekly playlist, luckily a Michigan station is on top of it.  Well, try one of the other stations either today or tomorrow.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 09, 2008, 07:50:48 AM »
Funny hearing Pink Floyd's "Money" on Top 40 (at #18).  I didn't realize it was released as a single and had charted that high.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 09, 2008, 07:57:55 AM »
Weird to bounce from Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" to Bette Midler's "Bugle Boy" to Charlie Daniels' encounter with the Kyew Klux Klan.  But I like this kind of head-spinning.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 09, 2008, 08:11:39 AM »
Most WTF of set: the reissue of "The Monster Mash."  No idea what spawned that (and in summer rather than Halloween season), but Casey sez Bobby Pickett was working as a NYC cab driver when it hit again.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 09, 2008, 08:44:33 AM »
Weird to bounce from Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" to Bette Midler's "Bugle Boy" to Charlie Daniels' encounter with the Kyew Klux Klan.  But I like this kind of head-spinning.
Yes, and further along, going from the Carpenters "Yesterday Once More" into Deep Purple "Smoke On the Water"  :o

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 09, 2008, 07:22:02 PM »

Casey's cracking me up tonite: He gives us the story about Mac Rebbenack discovering his "Dr John" persona in prison (hmm... bet the sequins amd make-up made him VERY popular!) but when he gets to the Doobie Brothers ("who aren't -- they needed a name and someone came up with 'doobie'") he avoids the drug reference altogether. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 09, 2008, 07:35:37 PM »
Awwwww... it's Clint Holmes and the kiddies!  I know this is a HFH for many, but I still have much affection for it.

And now Casey gives a "great radio stations like..." shout-out to NYC's WPIX-FM, the station where I heard the show for years.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 09, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »
Wow, I can honestly say I haven't heard Lobo's "How Can I Tell Her" since '73.

Quiet now -- Ree-Ree's gettin' a call from sistah Carolyn.  And I think the good folks of Oakland musta been surprised to hear Casey say that Tower of Power are from SF!

And from smooth soul to whiter-than-white (sorry, Thelma & Joyce): Dawn's "(Say Has Anybody Seen my) Sweet Gypsy Rose?"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 09, 2008, 09:04:50 PM »
More discreetness: Casey tells us Bette Midler got her start singing in front of "naked men" but doesn't explain why they were naked.  And now someone's bleeped the phrase "pinko fags" in Charlie Daniels' "Uneasy Rider"!

Followed by another one I'm in the minority on: Gilbert O's "Get Down", a delightful slice of pop IMHO, and a fond Summer-of-'73 flashback.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 09:14:01 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 09, 2008, 10:09:34 PM »
And Maureen McG is #1 -- amazing what a Best Song Oscar can do for ya.

"Nice to see Mrs McGovern paying off the Senator's campaign debt with a hit record" was a popular deejay line at the time.

Sorry, Casey, your prediction that "Live & Let Die" will hit #1 the following week did not come to pass.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 10, 2008, 07:02:16 AM »
The most recent '80s countdown I've heard yet: Aug. 6, 1988.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 10, 2008, 07:20:14 AM »
Hmm, I hadn't heard Peter Cetera's "One Good Woman" in the 20 years since it was a hit.  Sends me back to a Saturday morning I spent with my brother doing painting and yardwork chores for some old woman as a favor to our mom; the radio was on and this song, being new and potentially Top 10-bound, came up hourly.  My joke at the time was, "Think what FIVE or SIX good women could do!"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 10, 2008, 07:24:47 AM »
Wow, I don't remember this one at all: Denise Lopez (who?), "Sayin' Sorry Don't Make It Right."  Fits in nicely with the Latina-girl boom that was hitting then with Corina, Expose, and others.

ETA: "I can take only so much.  And I have taken all I intend to take."  Great finish!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:27:22 AM by Gazoo »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 10, 2008, 09:15:31 AM »
Most. Unnecessary. Cover. EVER.: Chubby Checker and the Fat Boys, doin' the Twist, somehow at #16 this week.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 10, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »
The most recent '80s countdown I've heard yet: Aug. 6, 1988.

That was Casey's final show!!!

So, did he say goodbye at the end -- I seem to remember that he did, but they may have edited it for this version.