Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 1/21/08  (Read 12450 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 1/21/08
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2008, 11:47:56 PM »
The very definition of a regional hit: Consumer Rapport's "Ease On Down the Road", which got to #3 in NYC but never made the national Top 40.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
Barry Scott goes for "Baby, Don't Get Hooked on Me" in tonight's Lost 45s.  "You're a hot-blooded woman-child / And it's warm where you're touching me."  Um, ew.  Still a guilty pleasure, though, as are a few other from Mac D.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 05:43:54 PM »
"There was a time when strangers were welcome here": I'd never hear Neil Sedaka's "The Immigrant" before.  Fine work!  Although he sounds a lot like Carly Simon on the chorus.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »
"There was a time when strangers were welcome here": I'd never hear Neil Sedaka's "The Immigrant" before.  Fine work!  Although he sounds a lot like Carly Simon on the chorus.

OMG, I am SO glad you finally got to hear that. It's really lovely (and of course he famously dedicated it to John Lennon).  I love to make fun of Sedaka (and he deserves it for mostly non-musical reasons) but his '70s comeback remains pretty astounding, the awfulness of "Bad Blood" notwithstanding.

But Carly's voice is deeper ;D

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2008, 07:24:46 PM »
Five Glen Campbell songs written by Jimmy Webb on the Lost 45s, culminating in "Where's the Playground, Suzie?"  Webb's a weird guy.  Self-deprecating to striking lengths about his lyrics.

And now a personal fave: the Partridges' "It's One of Those Nights (Yes Love)."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2008, 07:40:50 PM »
O.M.F.G.  Bryan Adams's 1979 foray into disco, "Let Me Take You Dancing," his voice decidedly un-raspy, even Donny Osmond–esque.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2008, 08:07:52 PM »
Five Glen Campbell songs written by Jimmy Webb on the Lost 45s, culminating in "Where's the Playground, Suzie?" 

I love those Campbell/Webb collabs from the late '60s -- "Witchita Lineman", "Galveston", "...Phoenix", "...Suzie", "Honey Come Back". I always thought "Dreams of the Everyday Housewife" was a Webb comp, but apparently not.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2008, 10:32:58 PM »
Five Glen Campbell songs written by Jimmy Webb on the Lost 45s, culminating in "Where's the Playground, Suzie?" 

I love those Campbell/Webb collabs from the late '60s -- "Witchita Lineman", "Galveston", "...Phoenix", "...Suzie", "Honey Come Back". I always thought "Dreams of the Everyday Housewife" was a Webb comp, but apparently not.

I had to do some research on that.  Turns out it was this guy.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2008, 11:06:57 PM »
Five Glen Campbell songs written by Jimmy Webb on the Lost 45s, culminating in "Where's the Playground, Suzie?"  Webb's a weird guy.  Self-deprecating to striking lengths about his lyrics.

And now a personal fave: the Partridges' "It's One of Those Nights (Yes Love)."

The Scud Mountain Boys (New England alt-country band) used to do a great cover of "...Suzie" and for several years I thought it was an original of theirs. Don't think Joe Pernice has been doing it since the Scuds broke up. (Btw, you'll love the title of one of Joe's solo records: Chappaquiddick Skyline. Told you.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2008, 07:49:57 AM »

I had to do some research on that.  Turns out it was this guy.

I thought "Chris Gantry" was Garth Brooks' alter ego ;)