Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 1/21/08  (Read 12515 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 1/21/08
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 09:11:44 AM »
a trifecta I can't imagine hearing anywhere else: KC's little-heard gem "Queen of Clubs", followed by "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and then a-ha's "The Sun Always Shines on TV".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 09:53:11 AM »
Sweeney got on the subject of banned songs and songs with "naughty bits", and got an email from someone asking about a certain line from "Penny Lane" -- "I'm not even gonna GO there" sez Sweeney.  Not a fan of Fish'n'Finger Pie, obviously.

Well, his audience knows what they're referring to--here, that line went right by most folks.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »
a trifecta I can't imagine hearing anywhere else: KC's little-heard gem "Queen of Clubs", followed by "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and then a-ha's "The Sun Always Shines on TV".

I haven't heard the A-Ha song since it was on the charts.  And I admittedly usually skip "Queen of Clubs" when I dust off my KC disc.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 10:39:13 AM »

I haven't heard the A-Ha song since it was on the charts.  And I admittedly usually skip "Queen of Clubs" when I dust off my KC disc.

Hearing the a-ha earlier, it becomes quite clear how they got the James Bond gig. It's almost an audition tape.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 10:45:26 AM »

Hearing the a-ha earlier, it becomes quite clear how they got the James Bond gig. It's almost an audition tape.

So who should be the next Bond maestro?  I'd be curious as to what Muse or My Chemical Romance would do with the gig.

(PS: Mike, I just discovered I have Gladys's "Licence to Kill" on one of my compilations!)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 10:59:52 AM »

So who should be the next Bond maestro?  I'd be curious as to what Muse or My Chemical Romance would do with the gig.

(PS: Mike, I just discovered I have Gladys's "Licence to Kill" on one of my compilations!)

If she lives... Amy Whine-house. But I dunno what anyone can do with a title like Quantum of Solace.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 07:01:12 AM »
KFRC's Kasey Kountdown takes us to early 1974, when Smokey was stumbling with "Baby Come Close," the Carpenters were on their way back down with "Top of the World," Tom T. Hall had his first (and only) Top 40 appearance with the ridiculous "I Love," and the week's top debut, at #28: Gordon Sinclair, "Americans"(!!!).  I'd never heard that before!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2008, 07:09:09 AM »
Although I don't find a great deal of humor in "Sister Mary Elephant (Shaddap!)," I love the fact that comedy records could once hit the charts.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 07:27:21 AM »
Holy shit: This week's trivia question was asked by a listener from Brooklyn: Bernard Goetz.

!!!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 07:53:07 AM »
The ubiquitous Donny Osmond cover machine soldiers on.  This week it's "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" at 16, followed by War's forgotten-by-most "Me and Baby Brother" at 15.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 08:25:49 AM »
Yes, a thousand times yes, I'll let you be there, Livvy.

(Nice bass voice, whoever that is.)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 08:50:33 AM »
Mike, I hope you caught the misty watercolor memories at #3!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »
the week's top debut, at #28: Gordon Sinclair, "Americans"(!!!).  I'd never heard that before!

the first of TWO versions. Amazing. 

I have no recollection of the Tempts' "Let Your hair Down", tho' I must've heard it at the time if it got to #27. Diana Ross' "Last Time I saw Him" always sounded to me like it was written for Helen Reddy. Nice to hear the DeFranco's "other" hit. And yes, the Bernard Goetz letter (assuming it was THAT Bernard Goetz) is an amazing footnote. Another fab stroll down memory lane.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 12:56:17 PM »
the week's top debut, at #28: Gordon Sinclair, "Americans"(!!!).  I'd never heard that before!

the first of TWO versions. Amazing. 

I have no recollection of the Tempts' "Let Your hair Down", tho' I must've heard it at the time if it got to #27. Diana Ross' "Last Time I saw Him" always sounded to me like it was written for Helen Reddy. Nice to hear the DeFranco's "other" hit. And yes, the Bernard Goetz letter (assuming it was THAT Bernard Goetz) is an amazing footnote. Another fab stroll down memory lane.

Oh, and these singles debuted on the Hot 100 that week:

Marvin Gaye, "You Sure Love to Ball" (!)
Spinners, "Mighty Love"
Bette Midler, "In the Mood"
John Denver, "Sunshine on my Shoulder"
Dolly Parton. "Jolene"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2008, 11:13:47 PM »
Gems from JJ tonite: Billy Preston's cover of "My Sweet Lord", ReeRee's "Oh Me Oh My", The O'Jays' "Time to Get Down" (the follow-up to "Love Train", neglected on the pop side even tho' it went #2 R&B), and the late great Johnny "Guitar" Watson (gone but not forgotten, up in soul heaven) doing "I Don't Want to be a Lone Ranger" -- "rat on wit da rat on!"