Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 1/21/08  (Read 12459 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 1/21/08
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 01:42:39 PM »
Macca thought the Major was a lady suffragette -- and that Master's thesis on "Gender confusion in the songs of Paul mcCartney" gets longer and longer.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »
Also new to me: the New Seekers, "I Get a Little Sentimental (Over You)". Old-timey in a Mama Cass kinda way.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 03:37:28 PM »
'LNG just played a ballad I'd never heard, about a girl being dumped right before her wedding. Turned out to be "Girl in Love", the Outsiders' follow-up to "Time Won't Let Me". It was a Top 40 hit, and quite a change of pace for them. This led me to their Wiki page -- I never knew they recorded the orig version of "Bend Me Shape me", but didn't release it. So Amen Corner and American Breed had the UK and US hits respectively. Live'n'learn!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »
'LNG just played a ballad I'd never heard, about a girl being dumped right before her wedding. Turned out to be "Girl in Love", the Outsiders' follow-up to "Time Won't Let Me". It was a Top 40 hit, and quite a change of pace for them. This led me to their Wiki page -- I never knew they recorded the orig version of "Bend Me Shape me", but didn't release it. So Amen Corner and American Breed had the UK and US hits respectively. Live'n'learn!

I have the Amen Corner version, don't really recommend it.  Their name was better than their material, for the most part (though "If Paradise Is Half As Nice" is always a treat).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 12:17:38 PM »
Happy to report CG has brought back Dean's Jukebox for 2 hours in the evening (noon-to-2 here). Indeed they've revamped the entire lineup (which doesn't really sound like good news, given that their new "Gold" incarnation is only a few months old).

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 12:26:07 PM »
Happy to report CG has brought back Dean's Jukebox for 2 hours in the evening (noon-to-2 here). Indeed they've revamped the entire lineup (which doesn't really sound like good news, given that their new "Gold" incarnation is only a few months old).

and bless whoever requested Smokie's "Living Next Door to Alice", a cheezy '70s guilty pleasure.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »

Didn't Sweeney have that slot before? Wonder what's up? Always glad to hear Dean, but I dug Sweeney, too (albeit more in his Rock Show persona than his homogenized general-consumption one).
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »

Didn't Sweeney have that slot before? Wonder what's up? Always glad to hear Dean, but I dug Sweeney, too (albeit more in his Rock Show persona than his homogenized general-consumption one).

Sweeney's still on (in fact he's about the only show that hasn't been changed) from 8-noon Pacific -- Drive Time over there. Dean's then on for two hours, and their 10-midnite slot is now a rotating rerun show -- the retro chart show, the album show and other weekend goodies get replayed. In fact today's replay is Sweeney's Saturday Rock Show, so if you wanna check him out between 2 and 4, he'll be there.

In fact, I caught the last hour of Sweeney's regular show today and it was far from bland -- everything from the Waterboys to Lene Lovich. And I learned a new brit slang word: "anorak".  Yes, like the winter coat, but it sort of means geek, in the sense of having obsessive knowlege of a subject.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:58:37 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »
New to me: Barry Blue's "School Love" another of the many (too many) '50s pastiches that the Brits were entirely too fond of in the mid-'70s.

and here's another: 10cc's "Donna", their only absolutely awful single.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 07:58:26 AM »
TANC: 2 songs about dead actresses back-to-back: a good one ("Candle in the Wind") and an awful one ("Emma").

A good/awful song, or actress?  Both may well apply, though I like "Emma" the song well enough.  (Clearly she sucked as an actor.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 08:15:41 AM »
TANC: 2 songs about dead actresses back-to-back: a good one ("Candle in the Wind") and an awful one ("Emma").

A good/awful song, or actress?  Both may well apply, though I like "Emma" the song well enough.  (Clearly she sucked as an actor.)

I meant song -- I really hate "Emma", IMHO it's worse than any early-'60s "teenage death song" I can think of, and that's saying something.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 08:20:58 AM »

I meant song -- I really hate "Emma", IMHO it's worse than any early-'60s "teenage death song" I can think of, and that's saying something.

Strange things happen in this world ...

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 08:32:28 AM »

Strange things happen in this world ...

ah, "Laurie".  At least "Teen Angel" was written as a parody (tho' taken seriously by its target audience, who didn't know any better).

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 08:36:12 AM »
Sweeney on CG is doing "Beatles A-to-Z" -- one song per day (!), and today it was one of their really bad early covers, "A Taste of Honey".  Good thing they started writing their own stuff.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »
Sweeney got on the subject of banned songs and songs with "naughty bits", and got an email from someone asking about a certain line from "Penny Lane" -- "I'm not even gonna GO there" sez Sweeney.  Not a fan of Fish'n'Finger Pie, obviously.