Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 403630 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2005, 10:12:36 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Aidin Vaziri give thumbs down to Em & Fitty:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/07/21/DDGLKDQGFN1.DTL

Yet again the question arises: Why would you send someone to cover a concert who doesn't like the artists playing it (and probably doesn't like the genre)?  Vaziri didn't review the concert, he reviewed the (salacious and violent) records that Eminem and 50 Cent have made over the years.  Vaziri's mission wasn't to advise whether Em and Fiddy gave him the show he wanted, it was to advise whether they gave the crowd the show they wanted.  But because Vaziri thinks himself superior to the crowd, the mission was aborted.  Just as his writing career probably should be.

I mean, seriously, folks.  Y'all know my biases.  Do you think any publication worth its salt would ask me to review a Jimmy Buffett concert?  Or a Verdi opera?  Or a Christian Abstinence rally?  That selfish twat Aidin should only be writing about those things for which he can take himself out of the picture for Five Friggin' Minutes and actually prove some hard information to justify his snark.

(rant over)

I like your style!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2005, 07:42:50 AM »
and speaking of writers who don't review the concert so much as they review the performer's past: here's Brad Kava on Robert Plant in the Merc...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2005/07/review_robert_p.html#comments

his review is followed by reader comments that are right on.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2005, 09:11:11 AM »
Hey Geoff... KFOG is giving away tix for this John Mayer Trio concert... no, not the John Butler Trio, the John MAYER Trio -- it's John Mayer's little Blues side project. And they've got Pino Palladino on bass!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
John Mayer Trio
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2005, 09:32:59 AM »
certainly looks interesting.  What a killer band.  Ideally, I'd love to see this band do the Hendrix stuff.
Quote from: "bio on website"

JOHN MAYER TRIO FORMED; FALL TOUR ANNOUNCED

Acclaimed Artist Teams With All-Star Players Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino; Ray LaMontagne and Joss Stone Already Confirmed as Special Guests

June 29, 2005 - New York, NY - Never one to rest on his laurels, three-time Grammy-winning, multi-platinum-selling writer/singer/guitarist John Mayer announces the formation of John Mayer Trio. This new venture marks the next phase in the remarkable evolution of a gifted, adventurous and prolific young artist who, in just the last few months, has performed and/or recorded with Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, John Scofield and Herbie Hancock,among others.

Joining Mayer in this new undertaking are drummer Steve Jordan (Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones) and bassist Pino Palladino (the Who, Jeff Beck), a pair of in-demand veterans who are readily acknowledged by their peers as the very best at their respective instruments. Mayer is thrilled that these two greats have chosen to join him in his latest musical
adventure.

“Steve and I had been doing sessions together, and we were scheduled to do the Tsunami Aid benefit” Mayer recalls, “so Steve said, ‘I know who we can get—Pino Palladino.’ I said, ‘I’d love to play with Pino.’ Pino came and we rehearsed Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Bold as Love’ for the benefit. And something happened that I had hoped my entire life would happen, which is that thing about how a band got together for the first time, and everyone in the room just knew there was something special. When it became me, Steve and Pino, it became this whole different thing. That set me off on a writing streak; the challenge was, ‘Here’s this great band - now what are you gonna do with it?’
So I went and wrote from a whole new place. So it became a band.”

The trio, who subsequently appeared at the 2005 Grammys, performing a captivating rendition of Mayer’s “Daughters, which later that evening won the awards for Song of the Year and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance, will unveil their electrified sound on a fall tour of North America , including three dates with the Rolling Stones (dates below). Ray LaMontagne and Joss Stone have been confirmed as special guests on selected shows, while other support acts are still to be announced. Mayer’s fans are already familiar with his guitar skills and willingness to push the envelope of his music from having attended his concerts, but expect this stripped-down configuration to take these elements to another level altogether, as he answers the musical challenges provided by his gifted bandmates. “This trio tour isn’t just an excuse to blow on the guitar,” says Mayer. “It’s an opportunity to present my fans with something live, in the sense of living now—that classic palate. I want people to show up at the gig and see the amp lights glowing and hear that idling buzz. I just want to bring people that power.”

This new venture is a testament to the tremendous respect Mayer has for his fans, as he continues to provide them with new musical permutations in the knowledge that they’ll willingly go wherever he chooses to take them. These fans understand that Mayer is a restless spirit with an ongoing need to test the limits; indeed, that restlessness is the essence of his appeal - it defines who he is and the path he’s traveling. “I have a whole new appetite for something different,” Mayer enthuses. “I want people to feel, and share, this excitement that I have.”
Quote from: "RGMike"
Hey Geoff... KFOG is giving away tix for this John Mayer Trio concert... no, not the John Butler Trio, the John MAYER Trio -- it's John Mayer's little Blues side project. And they've got Pino Palladino on bass!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2005, 09:58:07 AM »
The guy who won the 9:00 Pop Quiz tix today knew all about it.  He seemed as excited to see Pino as I would be.

Hey Urth it's at the Fillmore Sept 6, is that an evening that you'll be ushering?

Maybe we should see how many of us can get tix & go.  I'm not that big into John Mayer, but the trio sounds very interesting.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
JM3
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2005, 10:13:08 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
I'm not that big into John Mayer, but the trio sounds very interesting.

My sediments exactly!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: JM3
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2005, 10:49:05 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I'm not that big into John Mayer, but the trio sounds very interesting.

My sediments exactly!

although he's been passed off as over-produced pop, john was initially a guitar virtuoso. that's what i remember about his music from mp3.com days. damn fine instrumentals and extended solos.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2005, 01:49:36 PM »
Hey Urth it's at the Fillmore Sept 6, is that an evening that you'll be ushering?

Nope, actually the Fillmore no longer has ushers (Clearchannel strikes again--free labor=bad) so I've only been going to the Fillmore on my own nickel for the past year or so. Which means, not nearly as often.

They do still do the usher thing at the Warfield--they pay you to do it, but that means you actually have to work, and you don't get cut when the headliner comes on. So, it's not so great if you actually want to see the show.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Mark Knopfler July 27, 2005 Mountain Winery
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2005, 12:18:30 AM »
Wow. Great show. My first time at the venue. Beautiful outdoor setting, intimate. I got lucky and had wonderful left stage bleacher seating. Equivalent of front row, Row A, third row of seats, seat #1 on aisle. For the encore I walked down three steps, forward a few feet and was in front of the stage. Bass player in front of me, Knopfler about 12-15 feet to my right.   mmmmmmmm. Cameras and video taping was allowed. Who knew?

Opener was William Topley. Sounded familiar but I'm not sure why. I ate/drank and watched/listened from a distance.

Knopfler played for about 2 hours. First song was a newer one I think and I don't know the title. There are a few I can't name. Song 2 was Walk of Life with great big bass and wonderful accordian. Then came What It Is and Sailing to Philadelphia. Romeo and Juliet was beautiful. Very understated guitar work. Sexy voice. He used two guitars (not simultaneously). His voice is more mature and husky than on earlier recordings.

Next came Sultans of Swing and then he talked a bit and introduced band mates. Guy Fletcher I think. Richard Bennett playing a  (sp?) bazookie. Glen Wolf on bass, Matt Rawlins (sp?) pianist and accordian and Danny Cummings doing percussion. Drums were great. All band members contributed well. Two or three more songs that were familiar but I have no idea what they were. Included superb guitar work, four guitarists and an accordian.

Telegraph Road was beautiful. Crickets were audible background noise. Wonderful piano intro.  He took a break and came back for an encore. I didn't know the first song, then he played Money for Nothing (he modified lyrics a bit and improvised, seemed to be having a good time) and So Far Away. I was up close and personal for So Far Away.

So much more I wanted to hear but I'm not disappointed. No other guitarist has the style and sound Mark has. Definitely one of my guitar gods.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Knopfler July 27, 2005 Mountain Winery
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2005, 09:35:11 AM »
Nice review, there, Alicat--sounds like a superb evening! (Do they still hand out samples of wine at the intermission?)

Recognized a couple of the names you mentioned--Guy Fletcher was a touring member of Dire Straits from at least the Brothers in Arms tour and maybe before. And I think he might have toured with Pink Floyd in their post-Waters era. And Matt Rollings--if it's the guy I'm thinking of--has been a mainstay in Lyle Lovett's Large Band for years. Great players, both. (I'm impressed that you were able to keep track of all the names of the backing players--were you taking notes?)
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2005, 10:24:17 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Nice review, there, Alicat--sounds like a superb evening! (Do they still hand out samples of wine at the intermission?)

were you taking notes?)

I'm such a geek.

No free wine but I bought a few servings.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2005, 10:48:49 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

were you taking notes?)

I'm such a geek.

No free wine but I bought a few servings.

We're all geeks, baby... that's why we're here!  All hail geeks!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2005, 11:40:20 AM »

Recognized a couple of the names you mentioned--Guy Fletcher was a touring member of Dire Straits from at least the Brothers in Arms tour and maybe before. And I think he might have toured with Pink Floyd in their post-Waters era. And Matt Rollings--if it's the guy I'm thinking of--has been a mainstay in Lyle Lovett's Large Band for years. Great players, both. (I'm impressed that you were able to keep track of all the names of the backing players--were you taking notes?)

You might be thinking of Guy Pratt as far as Pink Floyd is concerned.  The bass player was probably Glenn Worf, a Nashville bassist.  I'm extrememly jealous you heard Telegraph Road.  I've seen Dire Straits a few times, but never that song.

Gaz at da Voice

Howard Tate (upcoming)
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2005, 12:25:11 PM »
Next Friday I'm going to see Howard Tate at Joe's Pub.  His manager told me he's debuting new material from outside writers (i.e., no Jerry Ragovoy collabs).  Alas, no horns, as it's a small venue, but it should be interesting.

And the Thursday after that, the Jefferson A/S Family are coming to B.B. King's, which I wish I had a press contact for -- I'd love to get backstage or beforehand access.  (Yeah, I've gotten spoiled.)

Gaz

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2005, 10:48:29 PM »
PLEASE REPLY WITH OPINIONS -- THANKS!!!

I'm buying a ticket to the Jefferson Airplane/Starship concert next Thursday at B.B. King's.  The performing band is Kantner, Balin, Freiberg, and the usual backing musicians, including Diana Magnano and Darby Gold handling the Grace parts as they've done for many years.  There are two purchase options:

$35 - General Admission seating
$65 - VIP ticket features early sound check access, meet and greet with all musicians, CD copy of the night's performance and preferred seating.

Y'all know how silly about the band I am.  Mildly less so without Grace, but I'm a realist with these things.  And knowing that I'm by necessity frugal ... Should I spend the extra $30 on the VIP package?  The CD would be a crapshoot (Marty's uneven live - lazy, I think), but the meet/greet could be interesting: I've met Paul and Grace, but never Marty or David, and there's much I'd like to thank them for.  Still, I'm dubious as to how much face time one actually gets -- I have to imagine a wedding-reception line, at best.  Any of you ever take part in a musician meet & greet before a show?

I need to make a decision sometime tomorrow.  (And I need to determine if I'll have a date for this thing.)  So I reiterate:

PLEASE REPLY WITH OPINIONS -- THANKS!!!

Thanks for listening,
Gaz.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”