Author Topic: Cool-but-not-Funny stuff on the Internet  (Read 186700 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: boondocks
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2005, 02:30:08 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "RGMike"
So did anybody watch The Boondocks last nite? I completely forgot, dammit.  Interesting review by Dana Stevens on slate.com:

http://www.slate.com/id/2129517/?nav=fo

Yeah, I stayed up (too late) and enjoyed it, but still can't get over the  n-word stuff.  It break my heart to see my students use this word, in the same week as Rosa Parks passes on.

Oh well...I would have to say that the way Aaron McGruder uses it is about as OK as I can take.  Maybe Chris Rock too...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well, yes, but "nigga" doesn't have the same meaning to these kids. It's all about context.

Funny thing, I was watching Clockers, the Spike Lee movie, a few weeks back on local broadcast channel 36, and in it the character played by Delroy Lindo uses the word -- a lot -- and uses it to describe other black characters. And every. single. time. he did, channel 36 bleeped the word. It seemed rather silly, as it was not being used as a racist epithet, but there you are.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2005, 03:31:43 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
So did anybody watch The Boondocks last nite? I completely forgot, dammit.  Interesting review by Dana Stevens on slate.com:

http://www.slate.com/id/2129517/?nav=fo

Yeah, I stayed up (too late) and enjoyed it, but still can't get over the  n-word stuff.  It break my heart to see my students use this word, in the same week as Rosa Parks passes on.

Oh well...I would have to say that the way Aaron McGruder uses it is about as OK as I can take.  Maybe Chris Rock too...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well, yes, but "nigga" doesn't have the same meaning to these kids. It's all about context.

Funny thing, I was watching Clockers, the Spike Lee movie, a few weeks back on local broadcast channel 36, and in it the character played by Delroy Lindo uses the word -- a lot -- and uses it to describe other black characters. And every. single. time. he did, channel 36 bleeped the word. It seemed rather silly, as it was not being used as a racist epithet, but there you are.

Yep, but in order to see it that way, you have to be able to see in shades of gray, and entities like networks (or the FCC) only see black and white. And to be fair, there are probably those out there who are still offended when they hear the N word (which I confess to still having problems typing, let alone saying).
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2005, 03:51:00 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
only see black and white.

On a related subject, nothing has been said here about the college coaches who remarked that black athletes are faster than white athletes.  I was watching the HBO NFL show the other day, and Dan Marino asks Chris Collinsworth for his comments.  Chris laughs and says "No WAY am I commenting on this one!  I CAN'T."

"But I CAN," says Chris Carter.  "Why is that?"  

Most insightful stuff I've ever seen on that show, even though they did dance around the subject.  Still, it shows you the state of our national discussion on race issues.  At the end of the piece, Carter asks Collinsworth:

"When you were playing, what, 8 years, did you ever have a white cornerback cover you?"
"Uh, once.  He fell down, though the play went to the other side."
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Cool-but-not-Funny stuff on the Internet
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2005, 10:06:04 PM »
WHOA: A *ton* of old recordings -- lost solo singles and the like -- sanctioned by the Monkees' official site:

http://www.monkees.net/singal.htm

Among the relics: Micky beating Nilsson to the punch in recording "Daybreak," Davy performing "Alone Again Naturally" on the Merv Griffin show in '73, and a horribly warped rendition of "Daydream Believer" on the Tonight Show in 1969.

I could spend hours there.  And next month, I just might.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2005, 11:51:29 AM »
this has to be seen to be believed.

http://www.patmedia.net/marklevinson/cool/cool_illusion.html
after you follow the instructions, avert your eyes just sligthly & the afterimage you experience will give you some idea how this actually works.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2005, 01:47:19 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
this has to be seen to be believed.

http://www.patmedia.net/marklevinson/cool/cool_illusion.html
after you follow the instructions, avert your eyes just sligthly & the afterimage you experience will give you some idea how this actually works.

nifty!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2005, 07:11:02 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2005, 12:24:15 PM »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2005, 03:44:34 PM »
This is neither cool nor funny, just sad and bizarre:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2005/11/28/international/i085454S60.DTL

Sadly, having met more than a few people with severe nut allergies, I don't find it bizarre anymore.  With tinfoil hat jauntily adjusted on head, I harbor deep suspicions that there's a direct relationship between the exponentially rapid increases in these allergies in recent years and the introduction of genetically modified foods, the extent to which we may already be consuming them being unknowable.  One for the long-term bettors: I predict Monsanto loses a class-action lawsuit to the tune of a trillion or more within our lifetime.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2005, 05:47:04 AM »
from songfacts.com:

Human Nature by Michael Jackson   
Album:   Thriller
Date:   1983
U.S. Chart:   7
Songfacts:   You can leave comments about the song at the bottom of the page.
This was one of 7 US Top 10 hits off Thriller.
Steve Porcaro, a studio musician and member of Toto, wrote this after his daughter came home from school upset that some kids were mean to her. He replied that it was "just human nature."
Porcaro recorded a rough version and left it on a cassette in the studio. Another member of Toto, David Paitch, unknowingly used the tape to put 3 songs on for Quincy Jones to consider for Thriller. Jones did not like Paitch's songs, but heard Porcaro's tune and decided to use it.

lots of good info about song origins on this site!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2005, 11:04:40 AM »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wolfgangs Vault yields some serious booty
« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »
Clear Channel lets a big one get away:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05347/621636.stm
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2005, 09:11:24 PM »
Very cool. I'm going to check the site out. I wouldn't mind working with/for a venture like that.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2005, 09:30:30 PM »
wow, great stuff.  Best quote: "For instance, he adds, there may never be an appetite for dozens of separate concerts by acts like Eddie Money."  

No, really?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2005, 09:37:15 PM »
I am totally trolling the site. The pelons are cool. Posters too.
Sharks bleed teal.