Author Topic: Cool-but-not-Funny stuff on the Internet  (Read 186703 times)

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Cool-but-not-Funny stuff on the Internet
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2005, 06:24:06 AM »
LOL! Y'know, now that you mention it- he does!
nakes? On my plane?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Python eats alligator and explodes.
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2005, 04:36:35 PM »
per Yahoo news,
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051005/ap_on_fe_st/gator_python

Python eats alligator and explodes. Both dead. Picture too!
Wow.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Python eats alligator and explodes.
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2005, 07:40:32 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
per Yahoo news,
Wow.

I've got the same queasiness in my stomach after seeing that, as I got upon viewing Food of the Gods, a film that truly scarred me as a child.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Python eats alligator and explodes.
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2005, 07:50:52 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
per Yahoo news,

Wow.

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2005, 10:21:51 AM »
My friend, Mark "Ethel Merman" Sergeant, is one of the many folks profiled in the new movie 24 Hours On Craigslist...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2005/10/07/DDGRNF37561.DTL&o=1
nakes? On my plane?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2005, 09:06:20 PM »
Wow. That's some Texas sized hair!
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2005, 11:06:45 AM »
I have the audio of this if anyone wants it. It's really meant to be heard. Can't say I agree with everything, but, hell, Smokey's cussin'!

Courtesy of Poetology.com

"The Black American"
by Smokey Robinson

"I love being Black. I love being called Black. I love being an American.
I love being a Black American, but as a Black man in this country I think it’s a shame
That every few years we get a change of name.

Since those first ships arrived here from Africa that came across the sea
There were already Black men in this country who were free.
And as for those that came over here on those terrible boats,
They were called niggah and slave
And told what to do and how to behave.

And then master started trippin' and doing his midnight tippin',
Down to the slave shacks where he forced he and Great-Great Grandma to be together,
And if Great-Great Grandpa protested, he got tarred and feathered.

And at the same time, the Black men in the country who were free,
Were mating with the tribes like the Apache and the Cherokee.
And as a result of all that, we're a parade of every shade.
And as in this late day and age, you can be sure,
They ain't too many of us in this country whose bloodline is pure.

But, according to a geological, geographical, genealogy study published in Time Magazine,
The Black African people were the first on the scene,
So for what it's worth, the Black African people were the first on earth
And through migration, our characteristics started to change, and rearrange,
To adapt to whatever climate we migrated to.
And that's how I became me, and you became you.

So, if we gonna go back, let's go all the way back,
And if Adam was Black and Eve was Black,
Then that kind of makes it a natural fact that everybody in America is an African American.

Everybody in Europe is an African European; everybody in the Orient is an African Asian
And so on and so on,
That is, if the origin of man is what we’re gonna go on.
And if one drop of Black blood makes you Black like they say,
Then everybody's Black anyway.

So quit trying to change my identity.
I'm already who I was meant to be
I'm a Black American, born and raised.
And brother James Brown wrote a wonderful phrase,
"Say it loud, I'm Black and I'm proud! Say it loud, I'm Black and I'm proud!"

Cause I'm proud to be Black and I ain't never lived in Africa,
And ‘cause my Great-Great Granddaddy on my Daddy’s side did, don't mean I want to go back.
Now I have nothing against Africa,
It's where some of the most beautiful places and people in the world are found.
But I've been blessed to go a lot of places in this world,
And if you ask me where I choose to live, I pick America, hands down.

Now, by and by, we were called Negroes, and after while, that name has vanished.
Anyway, Negro is just how you say “black” in Spanish.
Then, we were called colored, but shit, everybody’s one color or another,
And I think it’s a shame that we hold that against each other.

And it seems like we reverted back to a time when being called Black was an insult,
Even if it was another Black man who said it, a fight would result,
Cause we’ve been so brainwashed that Black was wrong,
So that even the yellow niggahs and black niggahs couldn’t get along.

But then, came the 1960s when we struggled and died to be called equal and Black,
And we walked with pride with our heads held high and our shoulders pushed back,
And Black was beautiful.

But, I guess that wasn’t good enough,
Cause now here they come with some other stuff.
Who comes up with this shit anyway?
Was it one, or a group of niggahs sitting around one day?

Feelin’ a little insecure again about being called Black
And decided that African American sounded a little more exotic.
Well, I think you were being a little more neurotic.

It’s that same mentality that got “Amos and Andy” put off the air,
Cause’ they were embarrassed about the way the character’s spoke.
And as a result of that action, a lot of wonderful Black actors ended up broke.
When we were just laughin’ and have fun about ourselves.
So I say, “fuck you if you can’t take a joke.”
You didn’t see the “Beverly Hillbilly’s” being protested by white folks.

And if you think, that cause you think that being called African American set all Black people’s mind at ease…..

Since we affectionately call each other “niggah”,

I affectionately say to you, “niggah Please”.

How come I didn’t get the chance to vote on who I’d like to be?
Who gave you the right to make that decision for me?
I ain’t under your rule or in your dominion
And I am entitled to my own opinion.

Now there are some African Americans here,
But they recently moved here from places like Kenya, Ethiopia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and Zaire.
But, now the brother who’s family has lived in the country for generations,
Occupying space in all the locations
New York, Miami, L.A., Detroit, Chicago-
Even if he’s wearing a dashiki and sporting an afro.

And, if you go to Africa in search of your race,
You’ll find out quick you’re not an African American,
You’re just a Black American in Africa takin’ up space.

Why you keep trying to attach yourself to a continent,
Where if you got the chance and you went,
Most people there would even claim you as one of them; as a pure bread daughter or son of them.
Your heritage is right here now, no matter what you call yourself or what you say
And a lot of people died to make it that way.
And if you think America is a leader on inequality and suffering and grievin’
How come there so many people comin’ and so few leavin’?

Rather than all this ‘find fault with America’ fuck you promotin’,
If you want to change something, use your privilege, get to the polls!
Commence to votin’!

God knows we’ve earned the right to be called American Americans and be free at last.
And rather than you movin’ forward progress, you dwelling in the past.
We’ve struggled too long; we’ve come too far.
Instead of focusing on who we were, let’s be proud of who we are.

We are the only people whose name is always a trend.
When is this shit gonna end?
Look at all the different colors of our skin-
Black is not our color. It’s our core.
It’s what we been livin’ and fightin’ and dyin’ for.

But if you choose to be called African American and that’s your preference
Then I ‘ll give you that reference

But I know on this issue I don’t stand alone on my own and if I do, then let me be me
And I’d appreciate it if when you see me, you’d say, “there goes a man who says it loud I’m Black. I’m Black. I’m a Black American, and I’m proud

Cause I love being an American. And I love being Black. I love being called Black.

Yeah, I said it, and I don’t take it back."

Smokey Robinson
Def Poets, 3rd Season
May 16, 2003 (c)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
laughing at Americans
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2005, 12:06:10 PM »
ironic after reading the Smokey thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=JOUALvjfLI0
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: laughing at Americans
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2005, 12:13:06 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

two words: jesus. christ.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2005, 12:26:15 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
I have the audio of this if anyone wants it. It's really meant to be heard. Can't say I agree with everything, but, hell, Smokey's cussin'!

"The Black American"
by Smokey Robinson

That's hotter than Smokey's frozen gumbo (available at Safeway)!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2005, 12:32:48 PM »

What awful questions.  Stacked.  No options for, you know, sane responses.  Of course, it's edited, so you don't know how many people responded with "None of the above."

The people who answered "The Final Solution"  -- I wonder if they knew it was taken from the Nazi answer to the Jewish "problem?"  Disturbing...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2005, 12:34:08 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

The people who answered "The Final Solution"  -- I wonder if they knew it was taken from the Nazi answer to the Jewish "problem?"  Disturbing...

yes, the one kid who was smoking said something about the "shoah," i think. maybe i misheard.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2005, 12:34:36 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

"The Black American"
by Smokey Robinson

That's hotter than Smokey's frozen gumbo (available at Safeway)!

yup! where does he find the time?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2005, 12:49:36 PM »
Gilberto Gil, Politician
From technology.guardian.co.uk/news/
(i'm posting the entire thing because the link is broken.)

Gilberto Gil wears a sober suit and tie these days, and his dreadlocks are greying at the temples. But you soon remember that, as well as the serving culture minister of Brazil, you are in the presence of one of the biggest Latin American musicians of the 60s and 70s when you ask him about his intellectual influences and he cites Timothy Leary. "Oh, yeah!" Gil says happily, rocking back in his chair at the Royal Society of the Arts in London. "For example, all those guys at Silicon Valley - they're all coming basically from the psychedelic culture, you know? The brain-expanding processes of the crystal had a lot to do with the internet."

Much as it may be currently de rigueur for journalists to ask politicians whether or not they have ever smoked marijuana, the question does not, under the circumstances, seem worth the effort. Gil's constant references to the hippy counterculture are not simply the nostalgia of a 63-year-old with more than 40 albums to his name. For several years now, largely under the rest of the world's radar, the Brazilian government has been building a counterculture of its own. The battlefield has been intellectual property - the ownership of ideas - and the revolution has touched everything, from internet filesharing to GM crops to HIV medication. Pharmaceutical companies selling patented Aids drugs, for example, were informed that Brazil would simply ignore their claims to ownership and copy their products more cheaply if they didn't offer deep discounts. (The discounts were forthcoming.) Gil himself has thrown his weight behind new forms of copyright law, enabling musicians to incorporate parts of others' work in their own. And in one small development that none the less sums up the mood, the left-wing administration of President Luiz Inacio da Silva, or "Lula", has announced that all ministries will stop using Microsoft Windows on their office computers. Instead of paying through the nose for Microsoft operating licences, while millions of Brazilians live in poverty, the government will use open-source software, collaboratively designed by programmers worldwide and owned by no one.

"This isn't just my idea, or Brazil's idea," Gil says. "It's the idea of our time. The complexity of our times demands it." He is politician enough to hold back from endorsing the breaking of laws, for example on music downloading, but only just. "The Brazilian government is definitely pro-law," he grins. "But if law doesn't fit reality anymore, law has to be changed. That's not a new thing. That's civilisation as usual." (He is not a hi-tech person himself, he says, but readily concedes that his children have "probably" done a fair bit of illegal downloading.)

Gil has lived by this philosophy - his guitar-based music has always been, in its own way, open-source, mixing the influences of bossa nova, samba, reggae and rock - and he has suffered for it, too. Tropicalia, the anti-establishment movement he helped found in Brazil in the 1960s, threatened the grip of the military dictatorship there and in 1968 he was jailed, along with his musical collaborator, Caetano Veloso, with whom he shared the status of a Latin American Lennon and McCartney. Freed after several months, he was instructed to leave the country and moved to London. His fame followed him to Europe and he went on to perform with, among others, Pink Floyd and Jimmy Cliff.

"Like most artists and musicians, I considered myself detached from the political life," he says. "But I had an insight that maybe we would have a political contribution to make in the future. I remember telling a Brazilian girl who used to be part of our community here in London, 'I'm gonna have a role to play in politics in the future!' And now ... it is the future."

Gil is in London as a signatory to the RSA's Adelphi Charter on Creativity, Innovation and Intellectual Property, which calls on governments to restrain corporations from further locking down their ownership of ideas. The campaign encompasses everything from the music industry's myopia over downloading to the recent efforts of one agribusiness firm to patent basmati rice, then charge Indian farmers for the privilege of growing it.

Defenders of such developments insist that strong patent laws are crucial - without them, nobody would have the incentive to develop new ideas - and that anything else would impede innovation. Gil and his ministry team have an opposing theory: tough intellectual property law is a 20th-century idea and most of the blossoming of world civilisation has happened perfectly well without it. "The 20th century is a cul-de-sac," says Claudio Prado, Brazil's digital culture czar, in London with Gil. "And the engine of progress doesn't have a reverse gear, so it's hard for the first world to get out of the cul-de-sac." The fact that many Brazilians still live in 18th or 19th-century conditions, he says, means that the country has an opportunity to accelerate into the 21st century without entering the cul-de-sac in the first place.

Internet evangelists are fond of hyping the "network society", but this, Prado argues, is what Brazil has been for centuries. "In a Brazilian favela, that's the way it works," he says. "You go and help your neighbour build their house. Or take carnival - that's a totally collaborative process. Sixty thousand people, unrehearsed. That's what you do when you don't have money. You collaborate." Brazil has ploughed millions of dollars into bringing computer access to the poorest parts of the country, but the bigger picture is not that President Lula's government is embracing the internet. It is that Brazilian society, in a manner of speaking, was itself a kind of internet before the fact.

All this leaves the minister with little time for writing songs. "I haven't even thought about it," Gil says. "It's a very different, drastic kind of time that you have to give to writing music. So for three years I haven't even considered it - the last song I wrote was before the ministry. But now, as my routines become a little more controlled, I'm gathering momentum again. I might be reading documents for work, for instance, on a plane, and an idea comes and I write it down on the back of the page. It's not a preoccupation, but I'm letting it come, slowly."

Performing, he says, is more important to him, and he frequently leaves his wife Flora, with whom he shares a home in Rio de Janeiro, to perform abroad. He must surely be the only serving politician to have completed a 22-gig tour of Europe earlier this year.

The two worlds of Gil's music and his politics merged most closely when he announced that he would license some of his own songs for free downloading. Time Warner, which owned the licences in question, quickly announced that, actually, he would not. "That showed me how difficult the situation is," he says. "An author is not the owner anymore. He doesn't exercise his rights. His rights are exercised by someone else, and sometimes the two don't coincide."

Explaining his view, he cups his palms and traces curved shapes in the air.

Time Warner won - "for the moment" - but it is characteristic of Gil that he regards the experience as a largely positive and most certainly rather amusing one. "I think it's a good development that the minister of culture of Brazil is looking after the interests of a Brazilian artist," he says, "who happens to be himself."

A similar mischievousness seems to have explained the government's response when an official accused Microsoft of behaving like a drug dealer in handing out free software to make customers dependent on its products. Microsoft Brazil sued, but the administration simply ignored the case, and the company eventually withdrew it. "But this is not demagoguery," Gil insists, if you accuse him of just being provocative. "This is pedagogy." Eventually, in other words, the world will learn.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2005, 12:55:30 PM »
Get ready for: "America's Next Muppet"

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2005/090505.shtml
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round