Author Topic: Cool-but-not-Funny stuff on the Internet  (Read 186693 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Cool-but-not-Funny stuff on the Internet
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2005, 11:56:17 PM »
* w o w *
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
AMG Tapestry
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2005, 05:05:04 PM »
All Music Guide enters the world of playlists and recommendations -- I haven't dived into this yet, but I've long been interested in the power of the Internet to achieve what I describe as "distributed tastemaking": You find not so much the song you want, but the person/source who helps you find what you didn't know you want.

So here goes, if you have some down time to give a whirl:
http://tapestry.allmusic.com/
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
It's a Wonderful Internet
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2005, 08:45:32 PM »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Stepping Into Christmas
« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2005, 01:00:41 AM »
Yahoo's music videos section (formerly Listen) has a promo video of Elton John's "Step Into Christmas" (1974, sez the credit) available. http://music.yahoo.com/musicvideos/lists/byalpha.asp?l=J&p=15 It's rather primitive and the audio's hideously hissy, but a neat artifact as well as a reminder of how amazing a run Elton and Bernie had from '72 to '75.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2006, 08:09:35 AM »
sadddest, scariest thing I've heard this week: Isaac Hayes is a Scientologist!

http://www.scientology-kills.org/celebrities/hayes.htm

Did anyone else know this? Somehow his name doesn't usually get mentioned when Celebrity Thetans are listed.  Saw an interview with him in the Onion A/V section. He wasn't terribly pleased with that recent South Park spoof of his religion.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2006, 10:33:23 PM »
Urth:
What say Cnet about this?
From http://msn.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124312,00.asp?GT1=7645

Do Burned CDs Have a Short Life Span?

Optical discs may not be your best bet for storing digital media long term, expert says.

Opinions vary on how to preserve data on digital storage media, such as optical CDs and DVDs. Kurt Gerecke, a physicist and storage expert at IBM Deutschland, has his own view: If you want to avoid having to burn new CDs every few years, use magnetic tapes to store all your pictures, videos and songs for a lifetime.

"Unlike pressed original CDs, burned CDs have a relatively short life span of between two to five years, depending on the quality of the CD," Gerecke says. "There are a few things you can do to extend the life of a burned CD, like keeping the disc in a cool, dark space, but not a whole lot more."

The problem is material degradation. Optical discs commonly used for burning, such as CD-R and CD-RW, have a recording surface consisting of a layer of dye that can be modified by heat to store data. The degradation process can result in the data "shifting" on the surface and thus becoming unreadable to the laser beam.

"Many of the cheap burnable CDs available at discount stores have a life span of around two years," Gerecke says. "Some of the better-quality discs offer a longer life span, of a maximum of five years."

Distinguishing high-quality burnable CDs from low-quality discs is difficult, he says, because few vendors use life span as a selling point.

Similar Limitations
Hard-drive disks also have their limitations, according to Gerecke. The problem with hard drives, he says, is not so much the disk itself as it is the disk bearing, which has a positioning function similar to a ball bearing. "If the hard drive uses an inexpensive disk bearing, that bearing will wear out faster than a more expensive one," he says. His recommendation: a hard-drive disk with 7200 revolutions per minute.

To overcome the preservation limitations of burnable CDs, Gerecke suggests using magnetic tapes, which, he claims, can have a life span of 30 years to 100 years, depending on their quality. "Even if magnetic tapes are also subject to degradation, they're still the superior storage media," he says.

But he's quick to point out that no storage medium lasts forever and, consequently, consumers and business alike need to have a migration plan to new storage technologies.

"Companies, in particular, need to be constantly looking at new storage technologies and have an archiving strategy that allows them to automatically migrate to new technologies," he says. "Otherwise, they're going to wind up in a dead-end. And for those sitting on terabytes of crucial data, that could be a colossal problem."
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2006, 10:47:16 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Urth:
What say Cnet about this?
From http://msn.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124312,00.asp?GT1=7645

Damn good question. I don't know off the top of my head. But I'll sure as hell ask a couple of people who should.

I do agree with one point he makes: cheap discs make lousy copies. Unstable, lots of errors, and just not trustworthy. TDKs used to be safe, but no more. Nowadays Mitsui is the best brand, but they can cost a bit--around .65 apiece unless you buy a whole bunch of them. Taiyo Yudens are OK, a bit cheaper (about .30 apiece by the hundred) but fairly trustworthy.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2006, 10:50:18 PM »
Any good word about Memorex? I have a decent stack of Memorex CD-Rs here on my desk.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2006, 09:54:22 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Any good word about Memorex? I have a decent stack of Memorex CD-Rs here on my desk.

Sorry, not so good. Use em for discs for the kids...
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2006, 10:41:17 AM »
would that i be captured by danes! didn't really know where to post this.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2006, 10:44:57 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

wouldn't you rather be captured by Clare Danes?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2006, 10:47:16 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

wouldn't you rather be captured by Clare Danes?

no, not really. she's not my type. plus, she might do me more harm. sitting in an uncomfortable position while being verbally humiliated isn't my idea of a really bad day as a prisoner of war.

Gaz at da Voice

« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2006, 12:35:05 PM »

Capt. Hommel should be played in film by Peter Sarsgaard.

P.S.  Princess, I hope your stomach is better.  Ali, I love the new Neil quote; that may be my favorite line of his.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2006, 12:39:51 PM »
Quote from: "Gaz at da Voice"

P.S.  Princess, I hope your stomach is better.  Ali, I love the new Neil quote; that may be my favorite line of his.

Mr Sarsgaard is a brilliant actor (tho' maybe not THAT brilliant :-) ); see Dying Gaul if it's still in NYC.

and Princess: how about Shirley Jones & Shirley Knight talkin' dirty in Grandma's Boy? Hubba hubba!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2006, 12:48:13 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gaz at da Voice"

Mr Sarsgaard is a brilliant actor; see Dying Gaul if it's still in NYC.

and Princess: how about Shirley Jones & Shirley Knight talkin' dirty in Grandma's Boy? Hubba hubba!

i still think i'll wait to be forced to watch Grandma's Boy on a plane...

thanks, gaz! "i'm feeling much better now!"