Author Topic: 14 June--it's 1982  (Read 11092 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
14 June--it's 1982
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 01:57:05 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I have dial-up, which meant this took over 7 hours to do.

My life changed -- quite literally -- when I upgraded from dial-up to high-speed-cable connectivity.  Is it available on your block, Mike?  I think the costs have come down enough that it'd be a relatively small investment.

Glad you're back, though.  And I'll probably be rejoining you all in real-time sometime next week, as we're already sending pages to the printers here at Jane, well ahead of schedule.  (Not a good thing for me, though: I blocked next week out for Jane and don't have other moneymakers in the fire to take its spot).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
14 June--it's 1982
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 02:50:27 PM »
6/14/2006 - Midweek! The big wheel stops on...1982!!!

1.  XTC - Senses Working Overtime  
2.  English Beat - Save it For Later  
3.  Genesis - Abacab  
4.  Peter Gabriel - I Have the Touch (BEST OF SET!!)  
5.  Fashion - Love Shadow  
6.  Donna Summer - State of Independence  
7.  Saga - On the Loose  
8.  Robert Plant - Fall Post  
9.  Men at Work - Who Can it Be Now  
10.  Jam - A Town Called Malice  

BONUS TRACK:  Thomas Dolby - Europa and the Pirate Twins

Sorry I missed the set, more for my chance to swap posts with y'all than for this setlist.  But seriously now, how many of you thought Fashion was Style Council?  Be honest.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
14 June--it's 1982
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 04:13:45 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

My life changed -- quite literally -- when I upgraded from dial-up to high-speed-cable connectivity.  Is it available on your block, Mike?  I think the costs have come down enough that it'd be a relatively small investment.

It is indeed avail (this is SF, after all) and I already have Comcast Digital Cable so it would just be an add-on, presumably.  I'd been holding off on "extras" until the Jeep is paid for next year, but this horrible experience has made me seriously consider it.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
14 June--it's 1982
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 06:08:25 PM »

It is indeed avail (this is SF, after all) and I already have Comcast Digital Cable so it would just be an add-on, presumably.  I'd been holding off on "extras" until the Jeep is paid for next year, but this horrible experience has made me seriously consider it.

Do give it a look. Not sure how much of an added fee Comcast would tack onto your monthly tab, but I understand there are a number of DSL providers who will give you introductory service for $20 a month or less, for at least the first 6 months. That's about what I was paying for dial-up before, and now that I've switched I'd never go back.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
geek issues
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2006, 08:08:35 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Do give it a look. Not sure how much of an added fee Comcast would tack onto your monthly tab, but I understand there are a number of DSL providers who will give you introductory service for $20 a month or less, for at least the first 6 months. That's about what I was paying for dial-up before, and now that I've switched I'd never go back.

Listening to insufferable geeks prattle about computers is about as much fun as listening to insufferable Deadhead prattle about you-know-what.  But...I will echo the others to say you basically have no choice.  Modern operating systems and software relies on frequent online upgrades, which just don't work very well over dialup.  I have Comcast here because I live in a shadowy area for DSL.  My DSL at the office is real fast, but here it's 4 or 5 times slower.  Call Comcast and see if you can do a wheel and deal package affair.  Try to get them to commit to long term on the billing.  I'm paying more than DSL, but for me there's no option.  

Then, you can email me all those MP3's I've been groveling for! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
14 June--it's 1982
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2006, 09:28:01 PM »

Now that the subject has been broached, what do you (or anyone else) think about the diff between DSL and High-Speed Internet? Comcast promotes their High-Speed with those commercials featuring turtles (the Slowskys) who prefer DSL because it's "slower".

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
high speed
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2006, 09:51:01 PM »
Now that the subject has been broached, what do you (or anyone else) think about the diff between DSL and High-Speed Internet? Comcast promotes their High-Speed with those commercials featuring turtles (the Slowskys) who prefer DSL because it's "slower".

it's kind of funny how cable has turned it around.  Used to be the knock on cable is that it would slow down at night because the network would get jammed.  That was then, but now no longer.  DSL has gotten so stigmatized now that they no longer call it DSL.  Notice the AT&T ads just use the term high-speed.  Either one is fine though, and you can connect multiple computers (laptops, etc.) at no extra charge.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
14 June--it's 1982
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 10:23:33 PM »

It just depends on what you're used to. Being that I go from a scary-fast T1 connection at work to a moderately fast DSL connection at home, I can definitely tell the difference, but the DSL is not so slow that I feel like it's creeping. That turtle analogy is just advertising BS, I assure you. We signed up for a 100Mbps (that's megabits per second) line, but I've checked it using the bandwidth meter that CNET has, and it's routinely between 125 and 150Mbps. Even if the measurement is off by 5 or 10 percent, we're still getting a faster connection than we pay for.  And Comcast is rated at 150Mbps. Either way you go, because you have dial-up at home right now, even a slowish DSL connection will seem blazingly fast in comparison. But as Geoff suggested, see what sort of a piggyback deal Comcast will cut you with full cable and internet. It could end up being less than your current cable bill plus DSL from someone else.

And not to keep pimping for my employers, but check out this page:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Broadband_power_search/4002-6549_7-5114723.html

It'll help you get some quick price comparisons for your area.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
14 June--it's 1982
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2006, 10:30:24 PM »
Having DSL vs. dial up was also a real life changer for me. I have SBC and it was easy and there's never been a problem. I did have to call in for help setting up the wireless firewall router thingy so Bob could access with laptop.

You can get ATT (SBC) for like $14 a month for 12 months when you sign up online. I think I pay $16.99 or something like that. It just adds into my phone bill which is also minimal.

RG, I understand sacrificing though. I still have Comcast cable but gave up digital to cut costs.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
sub thread
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2006, 11:01:31 PM »
using urth's company's speed tester, I got:

2659.7 Kbps, then 4245.6 Kbps on next test!

it's at
http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_meter/7004-7254_7-0.html?tag=tool2

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: sub thread
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2006, 12:18:29 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
using urth's company's speed tester, I got:

2659.7 Kbps, then 4245.6 Kbps on next test!

it's at
http://reviews.cnet.com/Bandwidth_meter/7004-7254_7-0.html?tag=tool2

I ran at  1237.5 Kbps
Piddly compared to you but I'm not complaining. At least not until the price increases.
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: BOS State of Independence
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006, 02:17:24 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
at the beginning of the song, I can't tell the difference between the Jon and Vangelis version, and the Donna Summer version!
Ditto.  I think it's odd that there are so many versions of this quite unusual song.  It's not something you hear and think "That's easy!  I can do that better!"  Well, I don't think it anyway.

Yeah, we tried to play it in church once.  I just LOVE the Moodswings version with Chrissie Hynde

TANC: i heard the moodswings version for first time last night over the end credits of that bridget fonda/jennifer jason leigh thriller, whatever it's called.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: BOS State of Independence
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2006, 07:06:25 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "Davefish"
at the beginning of the song, I can't tell the difference between the Jon and Vangelis version, and the Donna Summer version!
Ditto.  I think it's odd that there are so many versions of this quite unusual song.  It's not something you hear and think "That's easy!  I can do that better!"  Well, I don't think it anyway.

Yeah, we tried to play it in church once.  I just LOVE the Moodswings version with Chrissie Hynde

TANC: i heard the moodswings version for first time last night over the end credits of that bridget fonda/jennifer jason leigh thriller, whatever it's called.

Single White Female.