Author Topic: 6 Feb 2014: it's... 1972!  (Read 11114 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 6 Feb 2014: it's... 1972!
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 07:54:27 AM »
'72 Olympics Massacre --> "Hold Your Head Up". VHM Argent.  Ah, the Summer of '72.
early prog rock
 :P

Its hey-day only lasted about eight years, so I'd peg this as middle-Progrockian period.
I do not claim to be a prog-rock expert.  What do you call earlier prog-rock?  King Crimson I guess.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 01:42:02 PM »
'72 Olympics Massacre --> "Hold Your Head Up". VHM Argent.  Ah, the Summer of '72.
early prog rock

Its hey-day only lasted about eight years, so I'd peg this as middle-Progrockian period.
I do not claim to be a prog-rock expert.  What do you call earlier prog-rock?  King Crimson I guess.

Yep, and perhaps the Moody Blues, who kind of established the bridge between psychedelic and prog. Perhaps earlier Pink Floyd, too?
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »
early prog rock

Yep, and perhaps the Moody Blues, who kind of established the bridge between psychedelic and prog. Perhaps earlier Pink Floyd, too?
Yeah, I guess Pink Floyd.  I guess I always think of prog rock as some sort of pretentious musical stuff.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:30:23 PM by ggould »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
early prog rock

I do not claim to be a prog-rock expert either, and pausing to consider questions about it
reveals that there is still much I can learn and discover.  To start with, I would be hard-pressed
to give an accurate and cogent definition of the genre.  Skimming through the wikipedia article
on progressive rock I found little that was truly objectionable; I agree with most of the introductory
material.

Speaking off the cuff and without looking up a bunch of release dates, I would put the rise of prog
rock starting around 1968 or so.  So Pink Floyd, Keith Emerson and The Nice, Procol Harum, Jethro
Tull, The Moody Blues (Days of Future Passed) are all early examples of prog rock.  1969 and
1970 see the appearence of some of the biggest, most popular acts:  Genesis, Gentle Giant, King
Crimson, ELP, ELO, and Yes.  Although there are exceptions, a lot of prog rock groups as well as
interest in the style faded away in the mid-1970s -- certainly by 1976.  So that's about eight years,
and why I said that Argent in 1972 is middle Progrockian.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »
BOS to Stephen Stills, yet another underappreciated artist whose catalogue would make a
welcome addition to 10@10. 

I was just thinking I can't remember the last time I heard "Sit Yourself Down", which was actually a Top 40 hit.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2014, 12:42:07 AM »
BOS to Stephen Stills, yet another underappreciated artist whose catalogue would make a
welcome addition to 10@10.
I was just thinking I can't remember the last time I heard "Sit Yourself Down", which was actually a Top 40 hit.

The obvious hit is Love the One You're With, which has been played a handful of times.  And
It Doesn't Matter has appeared once.  But as with Hot Tuna and the New Riders, Stills' work
in general is exactly the kind of music that many Fogheads greatly enjoy, and he arguably has
greater name recognition.  Yet another puzzling omission from the 10@10 playlist as well as
KFOG's.

And speaking of Stephen Stills:

Front and Center:  The Rides
(#209H) Duration: 55:16 STEREO TVG

Stephen Stills' blues-rock "super group," whose debut album was inspired by his 1968 Super
Session album, features guitar wizard Kenny Wayne Shepherd and the Electric Flag's Barry
Goldberg at The Iridium.

Upcoming Broadcasts:

* KQED Plus: Thu, Feb 13, 2014 -- 11:00pm
* KQED Plus: Fri, Feb 14, 2014 -- 5:00am
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"