Author Topic: 1996 -- first visit! -- on Thurs 9/8/05  (Read 18800 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1996 -- first visit! -- on Thurs 9/8/05
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2005, 10:34:04 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "mshray"
Here's the inevitable Dishwalla.  But methinks it holds up well enough.

Bushwha. La.

This will become the first '96 Katrina after a few more visits, I predict.

In sets of this era the whole set becomes a Katrina.  I bet Clapton, Gin Blossoms, Wallflowers & this will all be played the next time.  And probably one more song that he hasn't played yet.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2005, 10:34:04 AM »
hey - it's the lenny kravitz song that spawned a lyric-writing contest. i remember trying to write lyrics to this song for the contest. wasn't very inspired....

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2005, 10:35:54 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"

They've got that harmony thing going that reminds me of School of Fish and King's X (remember those guys, speaking of Christian rock?)  I don't think their name holds up very well, though maybe it means something to someone.

dishwalla are the guys who instal satellites in india, from what i remember. ah, yes...school of fish! quite a fun band. who was the lead singer? josh someone? he died young....and everytime i read king's x, i think of "detachable penis," so i'm certain i'm not thinking of the same band. christians and penises don't go together.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2005, 10:37:57 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

They've got that harmony thing going that reminds me of School of Fish and King's X (remember those guys, speaking of Christian rock?)  I don't think their name holds up very well, though maybe it means something to someone.

dishwalla are the guys who instal satellites in india, from what i remember. ah, yes...school of fish! quite a fun band. who was the lead singer? josh someone? he died young....and everytime i read king's x, i think of "detachable penis," so i'm certain i'm not thinking of the same band. christians and penises don't go together.

:lol: That's King Missile you're thinking of.  Much more penile, I'd have to say.  I don't know much about School of Fish, though I bought the CD on the strength of "Three Strange Days".  Ditto for King's X for their song...what was it?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2005, 10:38:32 AM »

I remember both of them well.  Still have the School Of Fish CD & listen to it with some regularity.  

Dishwalla was from Santa Barbara, pretty sure I saw them at a campus gig or two, but there's nothing I remember beyond the name (this was 89-92).

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2005, 10:40:29 AM »
OK now I'm lost. Didn't recognize Lenny and who is this now?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2005, 10:41:55 AM »
That weren't so bad.  Just don't want to go back too soon...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2005, 10:42:12 AM »

...christians and penises don't go together.

Do they not procreate????
Immaculate conception?
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2005, 10:42:12 AM »

:lol: That's King Missile you're thinking of.  Much more penile, I'd have to say.  I don't know much about School of Fish, though I bought the CD on the strength of "Three Strange Days".  Ditto for King's X for their song...what was it?

josh clayton-felt was the school of fish singer.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2005, 10:42:20 AM »

King's X - "It's Love"

School of Fish - Josh Clayton-Felt.  Died of the same cancer that didn't kill Lance Armstrong.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2005, 10:43:45 AM »
another prediction: we won't revisit '96 until next year.  This was the latest a "new" year has ever been visited. Usually we go in Jan.  Wonder what the reason was?

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2005, 10:45:06 AM »

King's X - "It's Love"

School of Fish - Josh Clayton-Felt.  Died of the same cancer that didn't kill Lance Armstrong.

Yep.  That's the one.  Too bad about the Josh dude.  I always imagined that they were really young.  Spose they could have been...AMG confirms he died at 32, and they were college-age when their hit came out in 1991.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2005, 10:46:29 AM »
another prediction: we won't revisit '96 until next year.  This was the latest a "new" year has ever been visited. Usually we go in Jan.  Wonder what the reason was?

maybe it wasn't dave's favorite year? it wasn't too much fun today. but i think it could be better...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2005, 10:49:04 AM »

maybe it wasn't dave's favorite year? it wasn't too much fun today. but i think it could be better...

Actually I thought it was not bad -- I knew 8 out of 10 songs, and that counts for something in a '90s set.  But Lenny's the only '90s black guy Dave knows, obviously. Well, besides the members of Portrait...

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2005, 10:50:54 AM »

Actually I thought it was not bad -- I knew 8 out of 10 songs, and that counts for something in a '90s set.  But Lenny's the only '90s black guy Dave knows, obviously. Well, besides the members of Portrait...

Portrait?  Never heard of 'em.  How about Living Colour?  (And where do they get off with the "u" in their name anyway?)