Author Topic: RIP Gilligan  (Read 7563 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« on: September 06, 2005, 11:45:40 AM »
Just saw breaking news on MSN that Bob Denver died.

http://www.bobdenver.com/
Passed away Sept. 2.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Gilligan... Maynard G. Krebs.....
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 12:30:29 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Just saw breaking news on MSN that Bob Denver died.

http://www.bobdenver.com/
Passed away Sept. 2.

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 01:25:57 PM »
Just found out today. I thought I felt a disturbance in The Force this weekend. Damn.

Bob Denver: Beatnik, sailor, chick-magnet. He was a cowboy, too. If you count Dusty's Trail. But, nobody counts Dusty's Trail....
nakes? On my plane?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 01:39:02 PM »
Quote from: "Beej"
Just found out today. I thought I felt a disturbance in The Force this weekend. Damn.

Bob Denver: Beatnik, sailor, chick-magnet. He was a cowboy, too. If you count Dusty's Trail. But, nobody counts Dusty's Trail....

bye little buddy.
From the pic you posted (chick magnet) his hands should be held a bit lower  :wink:
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 02:02:08 PM »

And don't forget The Good Guys:

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 02:31:59 PM »
I've never heard of The Good Guys!
nakes? On my plane?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 02:39:20 PM »

Me either. I was just reading an MSN piece,
Tina Louise, as bosomy movie star Ginger
Is bosomy a word? Should it not be buxom?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 03:02:51 PM »

CBS, fall of '69 to early '71.  The other "Good Guy" was Herb Edelman.  They were always coming up with wacky get-rich-quick schemes. And hilarity ensued! Apparently it was on opposite The Brady Bunch, which is why it wasn't a big hit.

I've said this before: TV Land should set aside on nite a week for "forgotten sitcoms" -- ones that lasted 2 seasons or less. Captain Nice.... My World & Welcome to It.... He & She.... When Things Were Rotten...

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 03:18:37 PM »
I read a bt about The Good Guys on IMDB. They even brought in Alan Hale Jr as a special guest star for 3 eps in the second season to build ratings- but to no avail.
nakes? On my plane?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 09:12:59 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

CBS, fall of '69 to early '71.  The other "Good Guy" was Herb Edelman.  They were always coming up with wacky get-rich-quick schemes. And hilarity ensued! Apparently it was on opposite The Brady Bunch, which is why it wasn't a big hit.

I've said this before: TV Land should set aside on nite a week for "forgotten sitcoms" -- ones that lasted 2 seasons or less. Captain Nice.... My World & Welcome to It.... He & She.... When Things Were Rotten...

and a personal favorite, "Nanny and the Professor" (I got much love for anyone who can find me an MP3 of that show's theme).

Too lazy to look for pics of Maynard Krebs, but that's how I prefer to remember him, goofy soul-patch and all.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 09:19:22 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Too lazy to look for pics of Maynard Krebs, but that's how I prefer to remember him, goofy soul-patch and all.

You RANG?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 09:43:58 PM »
and a personal favorite, "Nanny and the Professor" (I got much love for anyone who can find me an MP3 of that show's theme).

Phoebe Figalilly is a silly name...

http://www.melaman2.com/tvshows/N.html

http://www.mythemes.tv/series/nanny&th.htm

Also available on vol 1 of Rhino's Tube Tunes.

And of course in later years, a fortysomething Juliet Mills would marry the hunky (and much younger) Maxwell Caulfield. Rrrrrrrrrowr!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 10:13:10 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Phoebe Figalilly is a silly name...

http://www.melaman2.com/tvshows/N.html

http://www.mythemes.tv/series/nanny&th.htm

Also available on vol 1 of Rhino's Tube Tunes.

And of course in later years, a fortysomething Juliet Mills would marry the hunky (and much younger) Maxwell Caulfield. Rrrrrrrrrowr!

Much love granted!  Long live Jambi!

But now I'm confused.  I'd heard long ago (perhaps from Barry Scott?) that the N&tP theme was written and performed by the Addrisi Brothers ("Never My Love," "We've Got to Get It On Again").  But that second link credits the songwriting to Steve Zuckerman & Fred Calvert (names I don't know) and the singing to none other than Nilsson.  Now, I don't think it sounds like Harry, but Harry didn't sound like Harry 75% of the time, so that tells me little.  Scuse me while I investigate.

More pertinently, I need to learn the exact makes of keyboards used on that track.  Those sounds are as close to perfection as I've known, idiosyncrat that I am.

Anyway, Mike, thanks for the links!!!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 07:42:49 AM »
I'd heard long ago (perhaps from Barry Scott?) that the N&tP theme was written and performed by the Addrisi Brothers ("Never My Love," "We've Got to Get It On Again").  But that second link credits the songwriting to Steve Zuckerman & Fred Calvert (names I don't know) and the singing to none other than Nilsson.  Now, I don't think it sounds like Harry, but Harry didn't sound like Harry 75% of the time, so that tells me little.  Scuse me while I investigate.

Definitely sung by the Addrisi Bros. (Nilsson did "Best Friend" from Courtship of Eddie's Father, parodied brilliantly as "Robot Friend" on a South Park ep.) I'll check the CD tonite for the songwriting creds.

I had to look up Nanny... to confirm that it only lasted two years. Seemed to me that it was on much longer. But indeed, you are correct.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 09:39:44 AM »
Remeber the View Master? I still have my childhood one with many envelopes of dics. I'm pretty sure Nanny and the Professor is one of them. I know I have Family Affair.
Sharks bleed teal.