Author Topic: RIP Gilligan  (Read 7558 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 09:45:28 AM »
There's a nice obit at slate.com.

We'll miss ya, little buddy.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 09:45:29 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Remeber the View Master? I still have my childhood one with many envelopes of dics. I'm pretty sure Nanny and the Professor is one of them. I know I have Family Affair.

I had one too... it was a casualty of my move West.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Viewmaster
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 12:16:31 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Remeber the View Master? I still have my childhood one with many envelopes of dics. I'm pretty sure Nanny and the Professor is one of them. I know I have Family Affair.

My wife's father used to take stereo family pictures, and put them into a viewmaster.  That's kind of eerie, but cool, when you see them that way.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 12:30:45 PM »

i had two, but i don't remember any discs as fun as nanny and the professor. mostly sea world stuff, i think.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 01:02:42 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

i had two, but i don't remember any discs as fun as nanny and the professor. mostly sea world stuff, i think.

I had fairy tales (hey, I was 5 or 6).  Very scary -- Hansel & Gretel pushing the witch into the oven in 3-D!  I also had the Kenner Give-A-Show Projector, basically a glorified flashlight and you put filmstrips in front of the lens and projected stuff on the wall...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2005, 02:13:21 PM »

I had a bunch of Charlie Brown viewmaster reels.  Seeing the Peanuts gang in three dimensions was always troubling to me, for some reason.

Also, fwiw, rapper Ludacris sent out Viewmasters with slides to some rock crits to promote his latest album, Red Light Special.  (I didn't get one, but I did get to see one.  Funny guy.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2005, 02:26:48 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"
There's a nice obit at slate.com.

Dana Stevens (aka "sufergirl") is Slate's TV critic and she RULES!  Her piece last week about why Entourage is overrated (a premise with which I concur) was genius.  She even dissed Tim Goodman by name!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2005, 02:33:39 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I had a bunch of Charlie Brown viewmaster reels.  Seeing the Peanuts gang in three dimensions was always troubling to me, for some reason.

Also, fwiw, rapper Ludacris sent out Viewmasters with slides to some rock crits to promote his latest album, Red Light Special.  (I didn't get one, but I did get to see one.  Funny guy.)

Not an original bit of swag, I'm afraid. We've got an REM viewmaster at home, a promo from New Adventures in Hi Fi.

Like all of us did, it appears, I had a viewmaster as a kid too. I had reels from Disneyland, Marineworld, the Grand Canyon, and Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIP Gilligan
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2005, 08:39:20 AM »