Author Topic: Music & Advertising: 'interesting' combinations  (Read 229029 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Music & Advertising: 'interesting' combinations
« Reply #240 on: November 22, 2010, 05:19:49 PM »
Car ads seem to be casting a wide net for music beds. Saw a Subaru commercial tonight that used the Pogues' If I Should Fall From Grace With God.

Just watched a Honda ad featuring Holiday by Vampire Weekend. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 05, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »
"Last name Ever, first name Greatest" -- gee, Drake, that's soooooooooo clever!  ::)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2010, 10:10:34 PM »
I've been seeing an ad for a program on Discovery called "Brew Masters" that uses Curtis Mayfield's "Pusherman" from Superfly as the music bed. Interesting choice.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »
J'adore Dior?  Not necessarily - but j'adore whoever had the idea to use Marvin Gaye's "Funky Space Reincarnation" in Dior's latest ad.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 20, 2010, 06:41:03 PM »
J'adore Dior?  Not necessarily - but j'adore whoever had the idea to use Marvin Gaye's "Funky Space Reincarnation" in Dior's latest ad.

I had never heard that song until JJ unearthed it on KPOO a few months ago -- wow. One of the great WTF? tracks of all time. In a good way.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 06, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »
A print ad, actually (and I coulda put this in the "right wing" thread): BART is plastered with ads for taxbrain.com, a new do-your-taxes-on-line website. Most of the ads are innocuous, keyed (unsurprisingly) to the notion that nobody likes to do their taxes. But I was dumbstruck by the caption I saw today:

"IRS Making You Want To Join the NRA?"

er...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 06, 2011, 10:19:48 AM »
A print ad, actually (and I coulda put this in the "right wing" thread): BART is plastered with ads for taxbrain.com, a new do-your-taxes-on-line website. Most of the ads are innocuous, keyed (unsurprisingly) to the notion that nobody likes to do their taxes. But I was dumbstruck by the caption I saw today:

er...

That is way beyond the pale.  Especially since such attacks have indeed occurred.  Gah.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 06, 2011, 10:41:53 AM »

er...

That is way beyond the pale.  Especially since such attacks have indeed occurred.  Gah.

completely.  I can't believe this was approved.  Which BART station is it in?  I'd like to see it for myself.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 06, 2011, 10:46:56 AM »

er...

completely.  I can't believe this was approved.  Which BART station is it in?  I'd like to see it for myself.

These are the square poster ads inside the train cars. I couldn't find a pic on Google (or anyone blogging about it).

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 06, 2011, 10:48:22 AM »

er...

These are the square poster ads inside the train cars. I couldn't find a pic on Google (or anyone blogging about it).

me neither, I searched for that exact phrase on google and found 0.  I bet this hits the 'blogosphere' soon.  Maybe by you?  you should start a blog. 
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 06, 2011, 10:50:05 AM »
er...
That is way beyond the pale.  Especially since such attacks have indeed occurred.  Gah.
completely.  I can't believe this was approved.  Which BART station is it in?  I'd like to see it for myself.
I also noticed that "IRS...NRA" ad yesterday in a BART car, not in a station, and also thought that line was inappropriate. The downtown stations are plastered with other TaxBrain ads, but didn't notice the NRA one in a station.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:52:35 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 06, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »

er...

me neither, I searched for that exact phrase on google and found 0.  I bet this hits the 'blogosphere' soon.  Maybe by you?  you should start a blog. 

I'm emailing SF-ist about it; sounds like it's right up their alley.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 06, 2011, 10:53:02 AM »

er...

dude, someone here should blog about it.  We need to do more crowd-sourcing here.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 06, 2011, 11:05:49 AM »

er...

dude, someone here should blog about it.  We need to do more crowd-sourcing here.

Who at the Chron could you give a "tip" about it? Sounds like something *someone* at sfgate would write about.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 06, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »

er...

Who at the Chron could you give a "tip" about it? Sounds like something *someone* at sfgate would write about.

at this stage it would be a good thing for a columnists to mention.  Leah Garchik's is kinda gossipy, but she might be interested.  CW Nevius might be interested. 

Getting a photo would be key for  a blog post.  Although I typically blog in our bike blog, I could even mention it in one of the other newsy blogs here -- we have an general SFGate news tips & items blog that would work, and we would be wise to advertise this blog better and the entire idea that we're open to user-submissions.
~CPL593H~