Author Topic: Wed 8/10 it's 1988  (Read 24223 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2005, 10:31:31 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

That was quite possibly the single greatest achievement by a political staffer in history.  The back story is that one of Benson's people had pretended to be a Republican & had gone to a few Quayle fundraisers before the debate, where the staffer heard him make this comparison. While it is factually true*, a friendly audience, who in their private wet dreams hoped Quayle could be the next JFK, & wouldn't see the utter disconnect inherent in the idea.  So the staffer tipped Benson that Quayle had been going around comparing hisself to JFK, and the rest is history.

*Hillary will also be in exactly the same position in 3 yrs as both Qualye & JFK, i.e. having completed the 2nd year of her 2nd Senate term.  Only diff. being that both DQ & JFK had at least one House term under their belts before the Senate.

ETA:  I was going to agree with the other sentiment tho', Quayle would be an experienced voice of reason in Shrubs cabinet.

p.s. benTsEn

:)

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2005, 10:32:45 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

That was quite possibly the single greatest achievement by a political staffer in history.  The back story is that one of Benson's people had pretended to be a Republican & had gone to a few Quayle fundraisers before the debate, where the staffer heard him make this comparison. While it is factually true*, a friendly audience, who in their private wet dreams hoped Quayle could be the next JFK, & wouldn't see the utter disconnect inherent in the idea.  So the staffer tipped Benson that Quayle had been going around comparing hisself to JFK, and the rest is history.

*Hillary will also be in exactly the same position in 3 yrs as both Qualye & JFK, i.e. having completed the 2nd year of her 2nd Senate term.  Only diff. being that both DQ & JFK had at least one House term under their belts before the Senate.

ETA:  I was going to agree with the other sentiment tho', Quayle would be an experienced voice of reason in Shrubs cabinet.

p.s. benTsEn

Yep.  Would be funny if Benson were running for VP.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2005, 10:33:24 AM »
ok. inxs rocks. i don't care how many times i hear this song/album. i always think i can ignore this song until michael sings, "love, baby, love!" then i have to pay attention. but, unfortunately, the song is almost over.

bos to r.e.m. i believed in what they did.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2005, 10:34:52 AM »
ok. inxs rocks. i don't care how many times i hear this song/album. i always think i can ignore this song until michael sings, "love, baby, love!" then i have to pay attention. but, unfortunately, the song is almost over.

Doesn't this REM song sound like an inferior version of "Finest Worksong"?  Which one came first?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 10:34:57 AM »
A few nice nuggets in this set, at least: the T Heads, the Oils, perhaps the Billy Ocean and now this REM tune which I confess to not remembering much at all. A deep cut from Green?
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2005, 10:35:15 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"

p.s. benTsEn

Yep.  Would be funny if Benson were running for VP.

especially if inga swenson were running for pres. i don't know if that's how her name is spelled. i'll wait for someone to "p.s." me. :)

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2005, 10:35:19 AM »
Yep. Would be funny if Benson were running for VP.

If the series had run longer? They probably would have done that. Hell, he was Lt Governor by the time the series ended....

WHAT?! Yeah, I've watched my share of Benson. So? I had a crush on the German lady, OK?!

:D

ETA: Inga! Yeah. That's her. Rowr.
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2005, 10:36:10 AM »

Doesn't this REM song sound like an inferior version of "Finest Worksong"?  Which one came first?

FW came first and yes, there is definitely some melodic retread action going on.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2005, 10:36:37 AM »

yeah, it sounds like a slower version of it. "finest worksong" came first. '86, i think.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2005, 10:36:49 AM »

p.s. benTsEn

thx, gotta stop putting so much rum in my coffee.

or is it reum?  what the hell is that stuff that Starbucks always asks you if you want?  rheum?  rheumatism?  Help me out here Beej!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2005, 10:38:45 AM »

p.s. benTsEn

Thanks, POC for taking Gaz' and my copy-editorial backs on this.  :wink:
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2005, 10:39:55 AM »
finally a BOS I can get behind: PsychFurs.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2005, 10:40:06 AM »
or is it reum? what the hell is that stuff that Starbucks always asks you if you want? rheum? rheumatism? Help me out here Beej!

What the heck are you talking about?!  :D
nakes? On my plane?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2005, 10:40:26 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

p.s. benTsEn

Thanks, POC for taking Gaz' and my copy-editorial backs on this.  :wink:

hey, she got your backs with Mike first!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Wed 8/10 it's 1988
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2005, 10:41:15 AM »
I'll second that PsycheFurs BOS.
nakes? On my plane?