Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 267444 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #255 on: April 09, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »
So I've been meaning to let y'all know about this for awhile, and it's going to be happening within a few months so I guess there's no time like the present.

I'm moving. Out of San Francisco, out of California where I've lived my entire life, up to the hills outside of Portland. My wife and I want to start an artisan cheesemaking company, and it's a whole lot more feasible up there than it is in Northern California with its thru-the-roof (even now) property values. We've found a place about 25-30 southwest of Portland in Yamhill (!?!) County, and we have some family nearby and a few friends in PDX. So Rastermon and I will be nearly neighbors--it's only about an hour to Corvallis, where he is. Not sure when moving day is, probably early June if everything goes as planned

I'm not sure how active I'll continue to be in these confines, I'm sad to say. I'd like to think I'll continue as I always have, and just listen via the Web as most of you all do--I'm certainly going to try. But as my whole life is going to be put in a blender and hit puree, nothing is certain. I'm also sad to be leaving the Giants, but the way they're playing it's going to make the separation a whole lot easier. Besides, there's a Giants' A-ball team in Salem-Keizer (the Volcanoes), about 45 minutes from where I'll be, and Portland has a AAA team, the Beavers, who are in the Padres' organization.

We'll be sad to see you go, but it sounds like a great adventure.  Maybe we can all get together before you go for a 10@10 sendoff.

Urthworm Jim Artisan cheese?
Nope, fresh out.
It's not much of a cheese shop, is it?
Finest in the district!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 09, 2008, 10:02:51 AM »
So I've been meaning to let y'all know about this for awhile, and it's going to be happening within a few months so I guess there's no time like the present.

I'm moving. Out of San Francisco, out of California where I've lived my entire life, up to the hills outside of Portland. My wife and I want to start an artisan cheesemaking company, and it's a whole lot more feasible up there than it is in Northern California with its thru-the-roof (even now) property values. We've found a place about 25-30 southwest of Portland in Yamhill (!?!) County, and we have some family nearby and a few friends in PDX. So Rastermon and I will be nearly neighbors--it's only about an hour to Corvallis, where he is. Not sure when moving day is, probably early June if everything goes as planned

I'm not sure how active I'll continue to be in these confines, I'm sad to say. I'd like to think I'll continue as I always have, and just listen via the Web as most of you all do--I'm certainly going to try. But as my whole life is going to be put in a blender and hit puree, nothing is certain. I'm also sad to be leaving the Giants, but the way they're playing it's going to make the separation a whole lot easier. Besides, there's a Giants' A-ball team in Salem-Keizer (the Volcanoes), about 45 minutes from where I'll be, and Portland has a AAA team, the Beavers, who are in the Padres' organization.
Wow.
Big change. Hope you can stay in touch. I can't even come close to imagining such change, scares me.
Maybe you can keep us posted via a blog like POC. Send cheese!
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 09, 2008, 03:46:59 PM »
Hey Jim, glad you finally found the place you were looking for.  I'll look forward to adding you to my annual itinerary when I swing thru P-land & Sea-Tac.

...aside to the rest of the gang, I was at Jim's place a couple months ago and between asking where his wife was (on a cheese apprenticeship), and why they had a whole shelf full of cheese books (obvious by now), I got the scoop on this, but was asked not to discuss the chicks until they hatched.  But therefore I know that Jim & Sarah have put an awful lot of planning and sacrifice into this move already, and so I just want to congratulate them for accomplishing what they have long sought after. Kudos!

I just hope you eventually work your way up to making something with moldy blue bits, those are my favorite kinds!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 09, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »

Wow, all kinds of changes afoot hereabout. When you say you're putting down a deposit, does that mean you're looking at new construction?

Yes.  Brand new home with solar roof & only 200 yards from a brand new school, about 25% bigger than current house and about the same price (+/- 5%) we can expect to sell for (but tradeoff being the new backyard is only about as big as currrent house's back deck). 

What with my having a job but no income for a year, loan approval has been a bit scary.  But between this morning's post & just now my wife seems to think we've got an outside lender (the one we have re-fi'd with twice) to do what the Lennar Homes preferred lender couldn't do.  So with any additional luck we'll put our deposit down on Saturday and be moving in by end of Aug.

In the meantime, many of you have seen my house (and it's now fixed up better than ever)...so know anyone who wants to move to Castro Valley?  2000 sqft, 3 beds, 3 baths, big family room, loads of upgrades, big back yard with 9 (count 'em 9) kinds of fruit trees/bushes/vines, kids go to the Independent School which is ranked #13 in all of Alameda county, close to BART, freeways and a nice park walking distance up the hill.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 15, 2008, 10:10:29 AM »
I'm moving. Out of San Francisco, out of California where I've lived my entire life, up to the hills outside of Portland. My wife and I want to start an artisan cheesemaking company

Major congratulations on making this happen, Jim.  But after all that work those TV people did on renov'ing your place!  8)

FWIW, while I was in Seattle last week, people couldn't stop talking about how much they like Portland - apparently it's the most bikeable city around.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 15, 2008, 01:20:45 PM »
Major congratulations on making this happen, Jim.  But after all that work those TV people did on renov'ing your place!  8)

Yep, and now that we're moving we're ripping out everything they did and painting over the apple-green walls. The CD shelves were cool but rather impractical (you couldn't put anything up against a wall unless you wanted to block the shelves) and the color just wouldn't appeal to buyers. So it's outta here.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 15, 2008, 02:03:55 PM »

Wow, all kinds of changes afoot hereabout. When you say you're putting down a deposit, does that mean you're looking at new construction?

Yes.  Brand new home with solar roof & only 200 yards from a brand new school, about 25% bigger than current house and about the same price (+/- 5%) we can expect to sell for (but tradeoff being the new backyard is only about as big as currrent house's back deck). 

What with my having a job but no income for a year, loan approval has been a bit scary.  But between this morning's post & just now my wife seems to think we've got an outside lender (the one we have re-fi'd with twice) to do what the Lennar Homes preferred lender couldn't do.  So with any additional luck we'll put our deposit down on Saturday and be moving in by end of Aug.

In the meantime, many of you have seen my house (and it's now fixed up better than ever)...so know anyone who wants to move to Castro Valley?  2000 sqft, 3 beds, 3 baths, big family room, loads of upgrades, big back yard with 9 (count 'em 9) kinds of fruit trees/bushes/vines, kids go to the Independent School which is ranked #13 in all of Alameda county, close to BART, freeways and a nice park walking distance up the hill.

Update, we did get the approval & did sign the contracts for the new home.  Move in date is late Aug.

Tell all your friends to buy my house (if they don't buy Jim's that is).

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #262 on: April 15, 2008, 02:08:36 PM »

Yep, and now that we're moving we're ripping out everything they did and painting over the apple-green walls. The CD shelves were cool but rather impractical (you couldn't put anything up against a wall unless you wanted to block the shelves) and the color just wouldn't appeal to buyers. So it's outta here.
keep me posted about your house.  As a selfish father, I want my daughter and her boyfriend to move to SF.  She wants to, he's a little skittish.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 15, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »

Update, we did get the approval & did sign the contracts for the new home.  Move in date is late Aug.

Tell all your friends to buy my house (if they don't buy Jim's that is).
Wow! Congratulations. You'll be hosting an end of summer party? ;)
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 15, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »

keep me posted about your house.  As a selfish father, I want my daughter and her boyfriend to move to SF.  She wants to, he's a little skittish.
There ya go Jim, a potential buyer!
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 16, 2008, 01:36:49 AM »

W00T!  Congrats!  Man, this "season of change" thing ain't no joke!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 16, 2008, 03:29:37 AM »
cheese! moves! lots going on here! congrats to you guys, and the best of luck in the new endeavors! can you fedex cheese overseas?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 16, 2008, 09:08:34 AM »
cheese! moves! lots going on here! congrats to you guys, and the best of luck in the new endeavors! can you fedex cheese overseas?

You can do it, but who knows what sort of shape it will be in when it gets there!
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 21, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »
just back from senegal. here are the first impressions:
http://ameliaraymusic.blogspot.com/

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #269 on: May 21, 2008, 02:36:47 PM »
just back from senegal. here are the first impressions:
http://ameliaraymusic.blogspot.com/
I've never been to Africa, but it makes me feel like I'm there!  Good writing indeed.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!