Author Topic: 9 April 2008--it's 1992  (Read 6314 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 9 April 2008--it's 1992
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »
Got us a bustout here, per the DB, James McMurtry's Candyland.

Odd, he only turns up in the DB twice, would have thought he'd be in there a few more times.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 10:34:22 AM »
I really liked "Life Is A Highway" when it first came out, so even though Dave has turned it into a big fat Katrina I still don't mind.

More interestingly, about two weeks ago some mom called up around 7:45 and put her little girl on the line, who asked Dave to play her favorite song. 
"Which song is your favorite?" queries Dave.
"'Life Is A Highway'...I just love that song," sez the youngster.
"Alright then," sez Dave.  And then he plays Tom Cochrane.

So I called up and said that I really appreciated his playing Tom Cochrane, but that I'd bet a hundred bucks that the little girl had never heard that song until just then, as she almost certainly knows the utterly unnecessary* cover by Rascal Flatts that was on the Pixar Cars soundtrack.  Which of course the morning show crew was totally unaware of.

*unnecessary except for the currently inflated economic dynamics of getting original artists to license their songs to Hollywoood.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:36:58 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 10:34:36 AM »
Weather is supposed to get near 90 out here this weekend (but not 99.9F) 8)
90? Where you be at? I'll be happy if it gets anywhere close to 80.
BOS Bruce, 57 Channels--the one memorable cut from the Human Touch/Lucky Town duo.
Do you recall the special mix of 57 Channels with the TV sounds?
I'm out in Pleasanton, Ch 5 news said 80's out here this weekend! See
http://weather.cbs5.com/US/CA/Pleasanton.html
What part of Pleasanton?  I know the area fairly well & am contemplating a move to Dublin.
I'm near the Stoneridge Mall, just across from Dublin.  Been here ten years, after living in Lafayette, Walnut Creek, Albany, Oakland.  I like it here, with BART in Castro Valley and the new BART station going in at west Dublin, and intersection of 580/680, its easy access to the entire Bay Area.  Also good weather, not foggy like coast/SF, not as hot as Tracy, Antioch. I'm at the Dublin grade so get cool bay breeze on the hottest summer nights.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 10:36:42 AM »

I'm near the Stoneridge Mall, just across from Dublin.  Been here ten years, after living in Lafayette, Walnut Creek, Albany, Oakland.  I like it here, with BART in Castro Valley and the new BART station going in at west Dublin, and intersection of 580/680, its easy access to the entire Bay Area.  Also good weather, not foggy like coast/SF, not as hot as Tracy, Antioch. I'm at the Dublin grade so get cool bay breeze on the hottest summer nights.

Cool.  With any luck we'll be putting down a deposit on a new place out by the Safeway on Tassajara. 

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »
Another timely clip, what with the whole torch brouhaha set to take place here in a couple of hours.

Another BOS--and possibly a bustout, R.E.M.'s Ignorelands. A nickname that came to horrifying reality after Katrina came thru.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »
Another timely clip, what with the whole torch brouhaha set to take place here in a couple of hours.

Another BOS--and possibly a bustout, R.E.M.'s Ignorelands. A nickname that came to horrifying reality after Katrina came thru.

Def. a bustout, and gets my vote for BOS of the week.  Another great album.  Mike won't believe it when we tell him that Dave had a stellar set from '92.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 10:42:35 AM »
I'm near the Stoneridge Mall, just across from Dublin.  Been here ten years, after living in Lafayette, Walnut Creek, Albany, Oakland.  I like it here, with BART in Castro Valley and the new BART station going in at west Dublin, and intersection of 580/680, its easy access to the entire Bay Area.  Also good weather, not foggy like coast/SF, not as hot as Tracy, Antioch. I'm at the Dublin grade so get cool bay breeze on hot summer nights.
Cool.  With any luck we'll be putting down a deposit on a new place out by the Safeway on Tassajara. 
Sure, know it well. There's a lot of new contruction there. And you'll be near that IMAX theatre that shows those Stones, U2, other concert films and pay-per-view events!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 10:44:33 AM »
I'm near the Stoneridge Mall, just across from Dublin.  Been here ten years, after living in Lafayette, Walnut Creek, Albany, Oakland.  I like it here, with BART in Castro Valley and the new BART station going in at west Dublin, and intersection of 580/680, its easy access to the entire Bay Area.  Also good weather, not foggy like coast/SF, not as hot as Tracy, Antioch. I'm at the Dublin grade so get cool bay breeze on hot summer nights.
Sure, know it well. There's a lot of new contruction there. And you'll be near that IMAX theatre that shows those Stones, U2, other concert films and pay-per-view events!

Yep, coming from Castro Valley the past 5 years, that has always been our preferred theatre.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 11:13:19 AM »

Def. a bustout, and gets my vote for BOS of the week.  Another great album.  Mike won't believe it when we tell him that Dave had a stellar set from '92.

And a stellar bonus track as well--Sugar's fab If I Can't Change Your Mind. Which I believe would also be a bustout, were it to appear in the set.

Wow, all kinds of changes afoot hereabout. When you say you're putting down a deposit, does that mean you're looking at new construction?
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 10:22:27 PM »
04/09/2008 - Midweek! Time spent in...1992!!

1.   Annie Lennox - Little Bird      
2.   U2 - Even Better Than the Real Thing      
3.   Suzanne Vega - 99.9 Fahrenheit Degrees      
4.   Bruce Springsteen - 57 Channels (and Nothing on)      
5.   Nirvana - Lithium (BEST OF SET!!)      
6.   Shawn Colvin - Round of Blues      
7.   Tom Cochrane - Life is a Highway      
8.   James McMurtry - Candyland      
9.   Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge      
10.   REM - Ignoreland      

BONUS TRACK:  Sugar - If I Can't Change Your Mind
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!