Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 264098 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #825 on: April 05, 2016, 10:16:32 AM »

10 am... a square from the patchwork quilt of illusion covering my existence has been ripped away,
exposing the emptiness underneath.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 05, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »
I feel you. After looking forward to 10am nearly every weekday for the last 18 years, it feels really weird.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 05, 2016, 12:00:02 PM »
I feel you. After looking forward to 10am nearly every weekday for the last 18 years, it feels really weird.

'deed it do.  I wonder if they're planning to do a playlisted, format-specific version of 10@10 when they re-launch.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #828 on: April 18, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
'deed it do.  I wonder if they're planning to do a playlisted, format-specific version of 10@10 when they re-launch.
On some level, they've got to know what a potential asset 10@10 can be.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 18, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »

You would *think* so -- and 10@10 has always been KFOG's highest-rated hour of the day -- but to do a younger-demo version would probably mean ranging only from 1987 to 2007. That would get boring in a hurry. I suspect the new PD buys into DC's old theory that too many features takes away from building your brand, or somesuch nonsense.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 18, 2016, 11:04:19 PM »

You would *think* so -- and 10@10 has always been KFOG's highest-rated hour of the day -- but to do a younger-demo version would probably mean ranging only from 1987 to 2007. That would get boring in a hurry. I suspect the new PD buys into DC's old theory that too many features takes away from building your brand, or somesuch nonsense.

Building your brand??  How can they have any pretense of that when they burned the one they
had to the ground?  That might make sense if the format is going to be completely different (frex
the EDM rumor), but if it's still going to be something resembling AAA (even if skewed younger),
why would anyone want to start from scratch, particularly with a headwind of ill-will from a
previously loyal listener base to whom you just gave a big raspberry.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 19, 2016, 08:49:30 AM »

Building your brand??  How can they have any pretense of that when they burned the one they had to the ground?  That might make sense if the format is going to be completely different (frex the EDM rumor), but if it's still going to be something resembling AAA (even if skewed younger), why would anyone want to start from scratch, particularly with a headwind of ill-will from a previously loyal listener base to whom you just gave a big raspberry.

Agreed on all counts. Unless the music they've been playing the past 3 weeks has been a huge fake-out, what they're doing doesn't seem to make sense. Hiring Pinfield, keeping No-Name... sure *seems* like they're planning something male-skewing, but the music is pure Triple-A. Young males don't wanna hear that much Adele (or Sheryl Crow). Maybe they wanna be able to pivot to alternative if Live 105 disappears.

The "building your brand" thing was DC's argument for getting rid of the Sat morning marathon -- that you can't get people to dig your format if you're always breaking format to run features. (I don't agree with that but consultants love to say it.)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 22, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
Agreed on all counts. Unless the music they've been playing the past 3 weeks has been a huge fake-out, what they're doing doesn't seem to make sense. Hiring Pinfield, keeping No-Name... sure *seems* like they're planning something male-skewing, but the music is pure Triple-A. Young males don't wanna hear that much Adele (or Sheryl Crow). Maybe they wanna be able to pivot to alternative if Live 105 disappears.

So much of the recent playlist has been straight out Alice in the 1990s it is bizarre:

4/22/2016 15:39:02   Natalie Imbruglia   Torn
4/22/2016 14:51:01   The Cranberries   Linger
4/22/2016 13:18:01   Melissa Etheridge   Come to My Window
4/22/2016 12:09:01   Alanis Morissette   Ironic
4/22/2016 11:03:02   Alanis Morissette   You Oughta Know
4/22/2016 10:24:01   Suzanne Vega   Tom's Diner
4/22/2016 8:36:02   Alanis Morissette   Head Over Feet
4/22/2016 8:03:01   Sheryl Crow   If It Makes You Happy

That is some straight up Hot AC/Adult Contemporary right there. Edging into Adult Pop.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/956457/train-rolls-to-100th-adult-pop-songs-no-1

So yeah, Pinfield is a really weird choice to spin Sheryl Crow and Alanis Morisette.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 22, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
For fun I cut and pasted all the artists from here: http://rudebadmood.com/foglist/ into Google. It turned up this very interesting and fun page:

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/7/stationplaylistrequest.asp?c_let=KFOG-FM

And so.... I think I just found KFOG's entire playlist.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 22, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »
Duncan Sheik! OMG, Alice used to play "Barely Breathing" to *death*.

Actually, my records show KFOG has been infrequently spinning it for a while. Hrm, I should try and fix the missing 2014-2015 data....

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 22, 2016, 08:30:15 PM »
For fun I cut and pasted all the artists from here: http://rudebadmood.com/foglist/ into Google. It turned up this very interesting and fun page:

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/7/stationplaylistrequest.asp?c_let=KFOG-FM

And so.... I think I just found KFOG's entire playlist.

Holy crap -- that's amazing!

and 2 names NOT on that list, surprisingly: John Mayer and Matt Nathanson.

ETA: also, you can substitute other call letters in that URL - here's The Peak's playlist

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/7/stationplaylistrequest.asp?c_let=WXPK-FM
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:03:07 PM by RGMike »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 23, 2016, 01:21:11 PM »
Wow good call on Nathanson. His last spin was 3/26 with "Come on Get Higher." Prior to that they only spun his newer song "Adrenaline."

So I guess he's no longer a friend of the station? Or at least not a friend with benefits. :-P

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 05, 2016, 04:44:17 PM »

Connections I've stumbled over only recently...

While flipping through the on-screen channel guide I discovered that the episode titles for the fifth season
of That '70s Show were all Led Zeppelin songs, the sixth season were Who songs, the seventh were
Rolling Stones songs, and the eighth season titles were Queen songs.

I thought the names in Ursula 1000's Kinda Kinky were lipsticks -- and perhaps they were -- but they are
long predated by the colors in the somewhat infamous "sweater scene" with Tuesday Weld and Max Showalter
from Lord Love a Duck.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 06, 2016, 02:58:02 PM »
I've known for years I'm an outlier... that most people don't care, and some people are totally
ignorant, like the KFOG callers months into 2009 who thought Dave was still spinning new 10@10s.

But shit.  Piss.  Fuck.  Fuckety-fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

I will never take crap again for using video tapes and occasionally burning stuff to DVD.

The cable-company-supplied PVR crapped out yesterday, and I lost dozens of hours of programs.  Some
can be viewed via other sources, and some I can live without.  But there were many that as a practical
matter will be impossible to find, and I don't have a complete inventory of all that was lost.

In "Silicon Snake Oil," Clifford Stoll waxed fondly about paper card catalogs in libraries, and opined
that how much a card was dog-eared and worn was information about the usefulness of the work it
referenced which was lost when the catalog was computerized.  My own memories of card catalogs are
less practical and more nostalgic, but I recognize there is an important point here.  While there can
be obvious benefits in upgrading to newer technology, there are also downsides, often hidden.  Rarely
is something gained without something else being lost.

It's also galling because I know the PVR is simply a specialized PC, that it contains an off-the-shelf
hard drive, and, if it's not the hard drive that failed, all those programs are just sitting there
as files which could be copied off easily with the right utility.  Alas, neither the utility nor that
service are offered, and the tech needed to take the old PVR for possible refurbishment.  The simple
reality is that the cable company owns the box, and my use is on their terms; no negotiation possible.

I suspect the majority of people regard all their media as ephemeral.  In one eye and out the other.
But then, their lives are largely ephemermal -- one shiny distraction after another.  Nor do they care
that their consumption is at the sufferance of one corporation or another, who can and will change
the conditions without notice to serve their interest regardless of the impact on their customers.
As Gil Scott-Heron sings in B Movie, "when the producer names the tune, the consumer has to dance."
I'm not in that majority, and I don't like being there.

This sucks.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 06, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »
I've known for years I'm an outlier... that most people don't care, and some people are totally ignorant, like the KFOG callers months into 2009 who thought Dave was still spinning new 10@10s....

This whole piece, above, was quite beautifully stated., my friend. I've had friends say similar stuff re: vinyl & CDs that sit on shelves as opposed to mp3s on a drive.