Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 268572 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #810 on: July 19, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »
Off to San Diego in the morning -- back in a week.

Enjoy! Damn, it seems as if everyone I know is going to SD. Including the missus and I in a couple of weeks.

Stuck in Sacramento for a week!

Yeesh, this is not the time of year I'd want to be in Sacramento. Although the nights are lovely, once the sun starts to go down.

Quiet here this week with at least 3 of our number on vacay. Envious...

And the fact we've had reruns the last two days ain't helpin'. Of course, when I go on vacation week after next there'll be five sets 1963-1973, with 33 tracks that've never appeared on 10@10 before.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #811 on: July 20, 2013, 06:43:15 PM »
Enjoy! Damn, it seems as if everyone I know is going to SD. Including the missus and I in a couple of weeks.
Stuck in Sacramento for a week!
Yeesh, this is not the time of year I'd want to be in Sacramento. Although the nights are lovely, once the sun starts to go down.

It wasn't too bad.  It didn't get real hot until late in the week, and I was in an air-conditioned classroom all day.  It's been a long time since it was hard to drive home (back to hotel) because the steering wheel was so hot!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 08, 2013, 07:04:34 PM »
Mr. Crosby notwithstanding, I have ceased to entangle the entire area...

It was not a considered decision to begin with.  About four and a half years ago
I didn't have the scratch for my regular appointment, so I cancelled it.  On top
of that it was a sixty-mile round trip, which was an additional expense I no longer
wanted to assume.  It wasn't a problem when I could afford it all, because when
you find someone who not only doesn't make your head look bad, but in fact does a
credible job of making it look good, you probably should stick with them.  But it
was a luxury I could no longer maintain.  I thought I would resume after a few months,
however inertia took over and I let it go.

It took about two years to reach the point where I was clearly past that awkward,
messy, in-between stage.  Inertia continued to rule and for over two years I let
it be.  But apart from being a largely unintentional situation, the overall timing
just wasn't right.  I've gotten tired of cleaning up after it, and to a lesser extent,
taking care of it.  Perhaps most significantly, there isn't anyone in my life now
to appreciate it.  That's a shame in itself, as my natural, wavy curls are quite
enviable.  ("Wasted on a man," my mother says.)  Being called "an old hippie" by
some kid (i.e., anybody under about thirty-five) at an Ultimate tournament the
other weekend did not factor into my decision.

So today, after the first generic choice was too busy, I ended up at the local
Supercuts.  The woman did a very satisfactory job.  Right now I'm experiencing the
phantom ponytail phenomena, which I expect will persist for a few days.  It reached
about halfway down my back, or almost fifteen inches.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #813 on: August 08, 2013, 09:09:13 PM »

It was not a considered decision to begin with.  About four and a half years ago
I didn't have the scratch for my regular appointment, so I cancelled it.  On top
of that it was a sixty-mile round trip, which was an additional expense I no longer
you find someone who not only doesn't make your head look bad, but in fact does a
credible job of making it look good, you probably should stick with them.  But it
was a luxury I could no longer maintain.  I thought I would resume after a few months,

It took about two years to reach the point where I was clearly past that awkward,
messy, in-between stage.  Inertia continued to rule and for over two years I let
it be.  But apart from being a largely unintentional situation, the overall timing
just wasn't right.  I've gotten tired of cleaning up after it, and to a lesser extent,
taking care of it.  Perhaps most significantly, there isn't anyone in my life now
to appreciate it.  That's a shame in itself, as my natural, wavy curls are quite
enviable.  ("Wasted on a man," my mother says.)  Being called "an old hippie" by

Supercuts.  The woman did a very satisfactory job.  Right now I'm experiencing the
phantom ponytail phenomena, which I expect will persist for a few days.  It reached
my condolences; I know how you feel.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 09, 2013, 10:53:41 AM »

You make me sad...  :'(

Does simplify life, though.

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 09, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »

Did you go to Comic Con too?  ;D

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 15, 2013, 10:30:27 PM »
Where I'll be this weekend, helping out & hanging out:

www.santacruzfreestyle.com

see also

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/santacruz/ci_23866275/its-finesse-thing-competitors-come-santa-cruz-2013

If you want to see some examples, search on Youtube for some of the names mentioned in the
article like Tommy Leitner, Arthur Coddington, or Jake Gauthier.

Of course I am nowhere near as good.  Even if I was in condition and in practice (which I am not),
I doubt I would make it out of the preliminary rounds of the competition.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 16, 2013, 08:54:54 AM »

see also

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/santacruz/ci_23866275/its-finesse-thing-competitors-come-santa-cruz-2013

If you want to see some examples, search on Youtube for some of the names mentioned in the

Of course I am nowhere near as good.  Even if I was in condition and in practice (which I am not),

Looks like fun. 

I would have had to start learning that some years ago, I am pretty sure I'd tear up a knee leaping around like that now.  Probably would have when I was younger, too, but I healed quicker then.  I'm actually pretty good with a Frisbee (sorry, I know that is not the favored term, but they'll always be Frisbees to me), but it's strictly playing catch for me.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 16, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »

see also

Looks like fun. 

I would have had to start learning that some years ago, I am pretty sure I'd tear up a knee leaping around like that now.  Probably would have when I was younger, too, but I healed quicker then.  I'm actually pretty good with a Frisbee (sorry, I know that is not the favored term, but they'll always be Frisbees to me), but it's strictly playing catch for me.

Aerial moves are dramatic, but I know plenty of crusty old jammers who can do some pretty
amazing things with both feet on the ground.  Flexibility and dexterity are more important than
raw athleticism and strength.

You're correct in saying that because Frisbee is a trademarked brand name of the Wham-O Mfg.
Company, the correct generic is "disc," but lots of people across all disc sports still call it a
Frisbee.  This despite the fact that Wham-O Frisbees are not the preferred disc for most
activities.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 16, 2013, 10:44:17 PM »
my condolences; I know how you feel.

I've been through this cycle once or twice before.  The last time I cut my hair, I felt like I was
undercover or in disguise -- a feeling that persisted for years.  This time it feels like my life
fits short hair better.  A week later, and I have no regrets about doing it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 21, 2013, 10:31:24 PM »
Just coming down from a outstanding weekend at the tournament...

Frisbee freestyle routines are usually four or five minutes long, and they are set to music choosen
by the players.  Many classic upbeat rock and pop tunes were used.  Also heard were Beethoven,
Schubert, Frank Sinatra, what was obviously the credit roll soundtrack for a movie, and even
an ad hoc song about playing frisbee one pair had written for their routine.  One piece that
made me laugh out loud was a mashup of Thriller and Hollaback Girl by DJ Schmolli.
(Yes, I had to look that up.)  I'm sure there's a message there about creativity in music or
some such, but I'm not going to tease it out now.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 16, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »
Vacation, all I ever wanted...

Gone fishing for the next week and a half -- I am soooo ready.  I'm taking my laptop and may (or may not) come back to the database project during downtime.

See ya on the flip side.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 07, 2014, 11:25:09 PM »
Somewhere deep in this section may well be a thread on things to do in the Bay Area, but not
seeing one in the first few pages, I post this here...

I can go through a little bit of hell now because I've just been to heaven... pinball heaven, that is.

I've known about this place for a little while, and now I'm sorry I didn't go earlier.  I'll be going back
soon:

The Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda
www.pacificpinball.org

If you have any interest in pinball, make plans to go.  Yes, they have a Baffle Ball and some of
the other early machines on display, but the real attraction is about 100 machines that range
from the late 1940's through the early 2000's -- all fully operational and set on 'free play'.
After paying the $15 admission fee, you can play all of the machines as much as you want.
They also have a couple of jukeboxes, also on free play, loaded with mostly period-appropriate
music for the machines in those rooms.  It was an amazing and wonderful experience on many
levels.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 08, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »
Somewhere deep in this section may well be a thread on things to do in the Bay Area, but not
seeing one in the first few pages, I post this here...

I can go through a little bit of hell now because I've just been to heaven... pinball heaven, that is.

I've known about this place for a little while, and now I'm sorry I didn't go earlier.  I'll be going back
soon:

The Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda
www.pacificpinball.org

sounds awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2fEkHCZFxU
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »
Flying to Hawaii tomorrow morning for a week+. First actual non-family, non-cheese vacation since 2006. Back here on the 9th.

Be there. Aloha.

Let's get right to it.