Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 267596 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #795 on: June 21, 2013, 11:15:28 PM »
McGreevey is a tad creepy. As a gay guy I really wanted to like him when he came out, despite the scandal with the aide. And I admire the work he's doing with female ex-cons (I think that's his thing; he was on the Daily Show or Colbert a while back).  But these high-profile gay men who profess
celibacy are just not serving the cause, IMHO (Tim Gunn is another one -- oh gurlfriend, puh-leeze). It seems more than a bit self-hating. "Maybe straight people will like me if I don't have sex!"

I'm in no position to address his possible "self-hating" or professed celibacy.  However as someone
who knew him then, I'd say there is nothing creepy about him.

I didn't count him among my friends -- he was straight, and I was one of the freaks.  (We're
talking drug culture here, for you younger viewers.)  But we were well acquainted.  He was in
my classes.  I would say we were on a first name basis, except the custom was to address
and refer to other students by their last names.  (Teachers would prepend that with "mister.")
I saw him occasionally after school as I waited for my car pool.  (Most of my car pool played
sports, and I didn't.)  And yes, I, along with many others, teased him in the gym locker room.
He was notably short in stature, and we made the expected immature comments.

That being said, McGreevey was a good person.  He sincerely cared about the well-being of
others, and was always interested in helping them.  He evinced genuine christian values,
perhaps more so than the people who condemned him.  If he had a fault then it was perhaps
being a little bit too eager to please, which made him appear slightly obsequious.  Given
New Jersey's history with political corruption, he was probably about as honest a governor
as they've had in some time.  If there's a lesson to be learned from his downfall, it's that
gay or straight, thinking with your little head is likely to lead you into trouble.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 22, 2013, 08:41:52 AM »
Jim McGreevey? Yeah, if that's correct, I'd definitely say Jon Bon Jovi is the more famous one.

I would wager that in New Jersey McGreevey is more recognized than Bon Jovi.  And while he
was making world headlines with his impropriety, he possibly had more name recognition
nationally as well.  There are lots of younger people, older people, and people not steeped in
American culture who are more likely to know the name of the head of their state government
than that of a rock star whose popularity peaked twenty to thirty years ago.

Not that it's the end-all, but Jon Bon Jovi's FB page has over 600K followers. McGreevey has 641.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 23, 2013, 05:17:42 AM »
Not that it's the end-all, but Jon Bon Jovi's FB page has over 600K followers. McGreevey has 641.

Hmmm... a rock musician is more popular than a former politician?  Quelle surprise...

To be clear, I'm talking about name recognition, not popularity.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 23, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »
McGreevey is a tad creepy. As a gay guy I really wanted to like him when he came out, despite the scandal with the aide. And I admire the work he's doing with female ex-cons (I think that's his thing; he was on the Daily Show or Colbert a while back).  But these high-profile gay men who profess
celibacy are just not serving the cause, IMHO (Tim Gunn is another one -- oh gurlfriend, puh-leeze). It seems more than a bit self-hating. "Maybe straight people will like me if I don't have sex!"

I'm in no position to address his possible "self-hating" or professed celibacy.  However as someone
who knew him then, I'd say there is nothing creepy about him.

Well, maybe "creepy" is a tad harsh, but I just find that people (esp gay men) who willfully deny themselves sex have... issues. I feel the same way about anyone who enters the priesthood, and am always amused when people are "shocked" by stories of priests abusing kids, raping women etc. The priesthood by its very nature attracts guys with a certain, shall we say, psychological profile and that ought to be obvious but most folks are oblivious to it.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 25, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
Well, maybe "creepy" is a tad harsh, but I just find that people (esp gay men) who willfully deny themselves sex have... issues. I feel the same way about anyone who enters the priesthood, and am always amused when people are "shocked" by stories of priests abusing kids, raping women etc. The priesthood by its very nature attracts guys with a certain, shall we say, psychological profile and that ought to be obvious but most folks are oblivious to it.

Again, I cannot address the specific motivations of why McGreevey has embraced celibacy, or
why he chose to announce it publicly.  My comments  are general in nature.

The practice of brahmacharya has a history that goes back literally for thousands of years, and
is well-recognized as one of many spiritual techniques.  The basic idea is that by not discharging
energy through lower chakras, it can be directed up into higher chakras and aid in the attainment
of enlightened states of awareness (i.e., samadhi).  In Western terms, vows of celibacy, as with
vows of poverty and the practice of fasting, are intended to direct one's attention away from
worldly concerns and towards the spiritual realms.  Again, there is a long history connecting these
techniques with religious communities.

Apart from spiritual pursuits, there are many other valid reasons for abstaining from sex.  There
are people who are separated from their partners for extended periods of time due to military
service, work requirements, school, etc.  There are people who remain true to their marriage vows
when their partner is unwilling to engage in sex or unable due to illness.  There are people who
chose not to pursue sexual activity because the lack of resources to do so or the availability of
suitable partners.  Some may forgo sex to focus on other areas in their lives.  As mentioned in
another post, within the normal range of human sexual desire are people who simply have a low
sex drive.  This is all just off the top of my head, and certainly there are many more situations that
I haven't thought of.

What I find abnormal is the notion that anyone who through choice or circumstance abstains from
sex is regarded as suspicious.  It strikes me as a particularly narrow and uninformed viewpoint.
Perhaps I should not be surprised, as American culture seems to have degenerated into the
glorification of a shallow existence of gratifying every base desire instantly without any regard to
consequence or recognizing that such efforts rarely, if ever, contribute to our long-term happiness
and well-being.

As for the slur on the priesthood, I find it to be as substantiated and as accurate as the fact that,
by their very nature, gay men have certain psychological profiles and are very likely to be
pedophiles... isn't that "obvious" and why are we "oblivious" to it?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 26, 2013, 08:02:48 AM »

Again, I cannot address the specific motivations of why McGreevey has embraced celibacy, or
why he chose to announce it publicly.  My comments  are general in nature.

The practice of brahmacharya has a history that goes back literally for thousands of years, and
is well-recognized as one of many spiritual techniques.  The basic idea is that by not discharging
energy through lower chakras, it can be directed up into higher chakras and aid in the attainment
of enlightened states of awareness (i.e., samadhi).  In Western terms, vows of celibacy, as with
vows of poverty and the practice of fasting, are intended to direct one's attention away from
worldly concerns and towards the spiritual realms.  Again, there is a long history connecting these
techniques with religious communities.

Apart from spiritual pursuits, there are many other valid reasons for abstaining from sex.  There
are people who are separated from their partners for extended periods of time due to military
service, work requirements, school, etc.  There are people who remain true to their marriage vows
when their partner is unwilling to engage in sex or unable due to illness.  There are people who
chose not to pursue sexual activity because the lack of resources to do so or the availability of
suitable partners.  Some may forgo sex to focus on other areas in their lives.  As mentioned in
another post, within the normal range of human sexual desire are people who simply have a low
sex drive.  This is all just off the top of my head, and certainly there are many more situations that
I haven't thought of.

What I find abnormal is the notion that anyone who through choice or circumstance abstains from
sex is regarded as suspicious.  It strikes me as a particularly narrow and uninformed viewpoint.
Perhaps I should not be surprised, as American culture seems to have degenerated into the
glorification of a shallow existence of gratifying every base desire instantly without any regard to
consequence or recognizing that such efforts rarely, if ever, contribute to our long-term happiness
and well-being.

As for the slur on the priesthood, I find it to be as substantiated and as accurate as the fact that,
by their very nature, gay men have certain psychological profiles and are very likely to be
pedophiles... isn't that "obvious" and why are we "oblivious" to it?

OK, that was way more than any of us needed, I think.

I'm a gay ex-Catholic. I detest everything the hierarchy -- the closeted, mysogynistic, fucked-up old men who run the place -- stands for. At the heart of what the Church teaches is the notion that sex is dirty and sinful.  Which is a load of crap. But that teaching is the reason that many men and women with "issues" -- people with something they think needs to be hidden, or that they think they need to be somehow "punished" for -- choose to become priests and nuns. And the church KNOWS this. They always have.

And I say this as a guy who considered the priesthood as a terrified 14-to-15-year-old. I know whereof I speak.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:00:03 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 28, 2013, 10:32:28 PM »

I think it's obvious who has "issues" and what is crap here.

I have found your recent posts in this thread very offensive.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 11, 2013, 04:04:04 PM »
Vacation all I ever wanted...

Off to Costa Rica tonight, be back in 11 days or so.  Talk to you all then!

PS -- I'm not making this public knowledge on fb, seems like a bad idea to let people know my apartment will be people free.  But I trust you people.   ;)
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 11, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »

PS -- I'm not making this public knowledge on fb, seems like a bad idea to let people know my apartment will be people free.  But I trust you people.   ;)

Enjoy, and avoid the Lightnin'!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 11, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »

Enjoy, and avoid the Lightnin'!

Have fun, it sounds great! (And don't worry, your secret is safe with us!)
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #805 on: July 13, 2013, 01:22:34 PM »

you can post the pix when you get back!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 15, 2013, 08:16:16 PM »
Off to San Diego in the morning -- back in a week.
Tuned to a natural E

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 15, 2013, 09:25:52 PM »

Enjoy! Damn, it seems as if everyone I know is going to SD. Including the missus and I in a couple of weeks.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #808 on: July 15, 2013, 10:47:03 PM »

Enjoy! Damn, it seems as if everyone I know is going to SD. Including the missus and I in a couple of weeks.

Stuck in Sacramento for a week!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 19, 2013, 06:43:57 PM »

Stuck in Sacramento for a week!

Yeesh, this is not the time of year I'd want to be in Sacramento. Although the nights are lovely, once the sun starts to go down.

Quiet here this week with at least 3 of our number on vacay. Envious...
Let's get right to it.