Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 267416 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #600 on: June 24, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »
Wow, can't imagine how you're bearing all of this. Having one ailing parent is really tough; having two at the same time is incomprehensible.

Just know we're all sending you good energy to get through it all, as well as for your folks. (If you don't mind my asking, do you have any siblings to share the load?)
Thanks. My Dad has an older brother who lives in Mill Valley and gets him out to dinner and can help. I have a half brother (Dad's son) who is 35 and lives locally. He can help but just doesn't have the maturity one would expect nor good common sense to be totally effective. He does help though. I have full power and resaponsibility over all affairs.
I am it for my Mom. She does have two sisters who are available to help and at this point do more for her than I am able to. She was moved yesterday from CPMC to Davies and no one even called to tell me.
I have cancelled my summer vacation in order to be available for the unknown timing of things and I'm going to try and book Christmas in Hawaii to get away from everything. Maybe a dream but I'm thinking about it.
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 24, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »
Thanks. My Dad has an older brother who lives in Mill Valley and gets him out to dinner and can help. I have a half brother (Dad's son) who is 35 and lives locally. He can help but just doesn't have the maturity one would expect nor good common sense to be totally effective. He does help though. I have full power and resaponsibility over all affairs.
I am it for my Mom. She does have two sisters who are available to help and at this point do more for her than I am able to. She was moved yesterday from CPMC to Davies and no one even called to tell me.
I have cancelled my summer vacation in order to be available for the unknown timing of things and I'm going to try and book Christmas in Hawaii to get away from everything. Maybe a dream but I'm thinking about it.

Sorry to hear about all of this, Alicat. I'm sending you strength. Wish I could send you tickets to Hawaii, too.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 28, 2011, 12:07:49 AM »
Helped move my Dad into the hospice today. Nice enough place by 18th a few blocks off Castro. Nice people.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #603 on: June 28, 2011, 01:42:04 PM »
Helped move my Dad into the hospice today. Nice enough place by 18th a few blocks off Castro. Nice people.
:(
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 08, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »
Woohoo!  On vacation the next two weeks!  Gone fishing next week, completely out of touch (yay).  Then home for a week catching up on sleep and life that doesn't get taken care of when you're working 50 hours a week.  I am soooooo psyched!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 12, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I think we need some sort of tourist thread, but this is a place where people talk about such things, so since Alicat asked:

Nice. I'm planning Cal Academy on Monday. Offer any visiting advice you have. In a different thread than this.

Well, the current exhibit is the reptile stuff, which we saw most of already.  After Picasso, we're walking across the road to the CAS and see the new Reticulated Python, then having lunch.  The food choices there are killer!  If you want to see the planetarium show, get there early and pickup a free ticket for a specific time.  The Rainforest is very nice, but hot, make sure the kids are dressed in layers, and can cool down.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 13, 2011, 06:59:14 AM »
I think we need some sort of tourist thread, but this is a place where people talk about such things, so since Alicat asked:

Nice. I'm planning Cal Academy on Monday. Offer any visiting advice you have. In a different thread than this.

Well, the current exhibit is the reptile stuff, which we saw most of already.  After Picasso, we're walking across the road to the CAS and see the new Reticulated Python, then having lunch.  The food choices there are killer!  If you want to see the planetarium show, get there early and pickup a free ticket for a specific time.  The Rainforest is very nice, but hot, make sure the kids are dressed in layers, and can cool down.

The penguin feeding in the African Room is fun to watch and informative for the kids.  Downstairs in the aquarium, there's a diver who speaks and answers questions from the audience underwater.  Check for times!  I'm not a fan of the rainforest thing...but it's probably because I get clausterphobic.  The roofgarden is worth checking out, especially on a sunny day.  Oh, and I agree with Geoff - the food in the cafe is really good.  It can get really crowded between 12 - 1pm.  The reptile exhibit is amazing!  We're planning on going again this Friday.   :)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 13, 2011, 11:38:05 PM »

The penguin feeding in the African Room is fun to watch and informative for the kids.  Downstairs in the aquarium, there's a diver who speaks and answers questions from the audience underwater.  Check for times!  I'm not a fan of the rainforest thing...but it's probably because I get clausterphobic.  The roofgarden is worth checking out, especially on a sunny day.  Oh, and I agree with Geoff - the food in the cafe is really good.  It can get really crowded between 12 - 1pm.  The reptile exhibit is amazing!  We're planning on going again this Friday.   :)
We went over there today after the Picasso exhibit (Great!) and I wanted to see the new 18 ft Reticulated Python before lunch.  It's not in the main reptile exhibit, but has moved into the first cave on the left as you enter the rainforest dome.  At first, it looked like nothing was there, but a huge shed snake skin.  After asking where the snake was a couple more times, the handler coaxed it out of the corner, and all 18 ft of it slithered into view!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 15, 2011, 10:25:45 PM »

We went over there today after the Picasso exhibit (Great!) and I wanted to see the new 18 ft Reticulated Python before lunch.  It's not in the main reptile exhibit, but has moved into the first cave on the left as you enter the rainforest dome.  At first, it looked like nothing was there, but a huge shed snake skin.  After asking where the snake was a couple more times, the handler coaxed it out of the corner, and all 18 ft of it slithered into view!
Nice. Any advice on parking since I have to drive up?
Sharks bleed teal.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 16, 2011, 08:01:12 AM »

It's a 15 minute walk for me now...Oh, and I don't drive!  Street parking shouldn't be so bad, especially on a Monday.  Take a ton of photos and have fun!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 16, 2011, 02:12:37 PM »

It's a 15 minute walk for me now...Oh, and I don't drive!  Street parking shouldn't be so bad, especially on a Monday.  Take a ton of photos and have fun!

Parking in the park shouldn't be too tough, but you may have to walk a couple blocks. Try along Martin Luther King near Stowe Lake or on Middle Drive behind the Cal Academy, it's not too far from either to the museums.  And get there in the morning if you can; that'll help.

We lived a short walk down 9th Ave from the park for 10 years, but didn't take advantage of the museums nearly as much as we should have. (Of course, both the De Young and Cal Academy were closed for rebuilding for several years during that time but still...) Loved the Strybing Arboretum and Stowe Lake though.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 16, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »

What they said!  Also, if you get there early enough, there will be some street parking on the back side (east) of the building, and the south side.  There is a paid parking lot, but you can avoid it if willing to walk.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 18, 2011, 11:45:05 PM »

What they said!  Also, if you get there early enough, there will be some street parking on the back side (east) of the building, and the south side.  There is a paid parking lot, but you can avoid it if willing to walk.
All went well. Had a grand time. Parking was easy. Weather was beautiful. Put a few pics on FB while there. The food choices in the cafe were amazing. I took a small (teensy tiny) nap during the planetarium show and again waiting for the coral reef diver. I can never seem to get caught up on sleep.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 21, 2011, 08:37:21 PM »
I am selling an armoire and TV.  I need to make room for some furniture acquired from my Dad. Any of you interested? Special deal for any of you. See listing at http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/fuo/2506865248.html
Thanks.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 22, 2011, 02:20:24 PM »

I am selling an armoire and TV.  I need to make room for some furniture acquired from my Dad. Any of you interested? Special deal for any of you. See listing at http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/fuo/2506865248.html
Thanks.

I'm interested, but need to know the depth.  I'm assuming the listing is 74" high, and 40" wide.  The place it would go is near the entrance of the guest room in my house, and if it sticks out to far in the depth dimension it will really cut off the entryway.  But only if it is unusually deep.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010