Author Topic: 12 July 2011: It's... 2000!  (Read 14589 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 12 July 2011: It's... 2000!
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »
Looking at this list, yeah, it could have been a lot worse. Could've done without the Everclear, and don't really need to hear "Yellow" again, but AL did well considering the circumstances. Extra points for reminding me of the Dandy Warhols, and of course "High Fidelity", certainly in my Top Ten movies for the 2000's.

so, did that Foghead think "High Fidelity" was "Flight of the Conchords"?

By my count, 7 of the 10 songs were actually on the KFOG playlist at the time; only Everclear, Fastball & Green Day were not, iirc (but I'll admit to being wrong if someone disagrees). Glad the Dandy Warhols won BOS; that was during one of those "let's be more like Live 105" jags that KFOG would go thru periodically, and that song really stood out on the KFOG playlist.

When did AL arrive at KFOG? This is one of the rare years where she was actually working here and can remember what was being played.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:56:13 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2011, 03:08:50 PM »

No, I think it was the singer at the very beginning of Alabama 3's Woke Up This Morning.

The singer sounds like he's doing a Jermaine impression, specifically his song It's Business Time.  You can hear it here, starting  at about the :20 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gbw60Iw-tA
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2011, 03:21:55 PM »

No, I think it was the singer at the very beginning of Alabama 3's Woke Up This Morning.

The singer sounds like he's doing a Jermaine impression, specifically his song It's Business Time.  You can hear it here, starting  at about the :20 mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gbw60Iw-tA

well... yeah, except FOTCs wasn't on TV in 2000. Oh those ever-wacky Fogheads.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
Yay, Fastball!  I finally got a request in for the first time in like...many months.  We also got Swellegant's Green Day.  Also enjoyed A3, Dandy Warhols and Everclear.  If she had to play a single off of All That You Can't Leave Behind, I'm glad it was their least overplayed one.  Yellow gets WOS by a landslide.

Infinitely better than last week's 1997.  I just hope we don't start hearing 7/10 of these songs in every future 2000 set like seems to be the case for the 90s+ sets.  We'll probably get Bohemian Like You and something by Coldplay in every future 2000 set.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 05:29:15 PM »

When did AL arrive at KFOG? This is one of the rare years where she was actually working here and can remember what was being played.

I'm guessing '97. I looked up the interview BF-T did with her in his Radio Waves column, which says she got to SF in '95, worked at KRQR for awhile, then jumped to KFOG when 'RQR was about to become Alice. I know she was on KFOG when I moved to SF in the fall of '98.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 09:15:36 PM »
"I used to care - but things have changed."  Yup.  BOS.
woulda been my BOS too.  Gonna miss tomorrow's set; going to De Young Picasso exhibit.

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011, 09:53:15 PM »
"I used to care - but things have changed."  Yup.  BOS.
woulda been my BOS too.  Gonna miss tomorrow's set; going to De Young Picasso exhibit.

Nice. I'm planning Cal Academy on Monday. Offer any visiting advice you have. In a different thread than this.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 10:36:22 AM »
"Otherside" and "Yellow"... well at least they're not "With Arms Wide Open".

My in-the-dark stab at a decent 2000 10@10:

Go Let It Out, Oasis
Tonight And The Rest Of My Life – Nina Gordon
Stand Inside Your Love – Smashing Pumpkins
Leaving Town – Dexter Freebish
Fa Fa – Guster
It Wasn’t Me - Shaggy
Case Of The Ex – Mya
Rock DJ – Robbie Williams
Hello Time Bomb – Matthew Good Band
Stellar - Incubus

Belatedly noting that this would have been a phenomenal set.  (Except for the Shaggy.  :) )
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Nate

• two bits
  • It's called "Internet"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2011, 11:17:50 AM »
I recorded this set, our first 2000!  msg me for more info.

From what I'm reading this coulda been much worse -- I'd've BOSed Dandy Warhols. But there's a comment in the thread on AL's FB page about "thanks for the Flight of the Conchords clip" --er, WTF?

I heard parts of this set, and it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I always imagine 99-00 sounds like Alice, which is not a good thing.

The Flight of Concords thing was a very short clip she put between songs where the robot voice says "the year 2000". It's from their song "The Humans are Dead".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGoi1MSGu64

So FogHeads aren't always wrong.  :)