Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 268573 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2006, 08:42:09 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Hey gang,

At about 4:00 pm today please aim all your positive vibes down towards Santa Clara.  I will be interviewing for a job at Cisco that sounds both exciting and it would be a big step forward.  I have been recommended by a mutual friend to the hiring manager, and there is another acquaintance of mine already on the team, so the stars are lined up about as favorably as I could hope for.  But I still have to go in and make it happen.

Seems like it went well enough, in any case I'm on to the next round of interviews.  I'll keep y'all posted.  I was forced against my will to field the "what salary are you looking for question" although I managed to maneuver out of the "what are you making now question".  Once we managed to get through that part of the conversation it became clear that if I get this it will be at minimum a 50% increase in my current salary, maybe up to 2/3, and a gigantic step up in my benefits package.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2006, 08:45:19 AM »
I was forced against my will to field the "what salary are you looking for question" although I managed to maneuver out of the "what are you making now question".  Once we managed to get through that part of the conversation it became clear that if I get this it will be at minimum a 50% increase in my current salary, maybe up to 2/3, and a gigantic step up in my benefits package.

WOW.

Good luck, buddy!  We're pullin' for ya!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2006, 02:20:43 PM »
Amelia, do you want to be a backing musician for Beyonce Knowles?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/09/people.beyonce.ap/index.html
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

This is just to keep Jay-Z from hitting on anybody in the band :wink:

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2006, 10:31:37 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

gosh - i missed out on that one!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2006, 04:41:12 PM »
My dear friends,

This is going to be a pretty depressing post, so I apologize for the downer in advance & feel free to go back to reading something else if you're not in the mood.  But this is honestly the only place I can express myself at the moment.

I won't be around tomorrow because I'll be taking my wife Christina to the hospital for a minor surgery called a cone biopsy (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervical_conization if you need more detail).  I say minor because it only takes an hour or so & she should be home by evening.  But this is the first step in treating the cervical cancer we found out about 3 1/2 weeks ago.  Best case scenario - this is very early stage and this procedure will remove all the existing cancerous cells.  Then she'll need a hysterectomy sooner rather than later, but basically at her discretion.  Medium bad case scenario - after the results of the cone biopsy are known in another 2 weeks an immediate hysterectomy will be called for, but that will remove all the existing cancerous cells as well as all the tissue prone to become cancerous.  Obviously the worst case scenario is cancer with a capital C.  So far that also seems the least likely scneario.

Cervical cancer has one of the highest survivability rates, largely because, as my brother Joel the ER doctor puts it, "A uterus is only good for two things:  having babies and having cancer."  So if you are done with the former (and we were never in doubt about that) then you don't need to run the risk of the latter.  Which is why the 2 most common surgeries in the US are C-sections and then hysterectomies.  So we're cautiously optimistic about Christina's prognosis.

At the risk of making this even more maudlin, though, I'm really having a tough time.  Ours has not been the easiest relationship to maintain, and in the past few months I have been becoming increasingly pessimistic about the chances for our marriage.  Now I am doing everything in my power to fulfill all my duties as a husband and a father & of course to pick up as much extra slack as I can while Christina's dealing with this.  But at the same time Christina is quite understandably not on her best behavior even as she directly and indirectly demands more of me.  So from an emotional standpoint I'm running on fumes most of the time, and what little energy I have left is devoted to the job search (of which there is still no news other than I shouldn't expect to hear anything until next week & maybe there is another round of interviews yet to come).  I keep thinking that the way everything else is going I really deserve to get this piece of good news, but who knows?

Gah!  I really hate feeling depressed, but if you got this far thanks for listening.

--mark

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
healing thoughts
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2006, 04:59:01 PM »
Gah!  I really hate feeling depressed, but if you got this far thanks for listening.

beams in your direction sir!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: healing thoughts
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2006, 08:20:34 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Thanks Geoff!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: healing thoughts
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2006, 08:36:25 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Oh, man, Mark.  I'm very bad at this stuff, but please know that we are thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
Thanks Mike!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2006, 11:59:25 PM »

--mark

Oh man, that is one heavy burden you got right now. Thanks for feeling comfortable enough to share it with us. Know that  positive energy is flowing at max capacity straight back atcha, from all of us--I'll be hoping for the best possible results in all of these struggles. You're a good, strong person and I know you'll be able to resolve it all for the best.
peace,
Jim
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2006, 08:19:39 AM »

Thoughts are with you from this coast as well, bud.  If I had a cancer-free uterus I'd offer it up to Christina for a transplant.  Please give her my best wishes; I'll be sending her a get-well card soon.

And dude, an emotional get-well to you as well.  I'm hoping that when the job search resolves you'll be able to decompress a bit and have more energy to deal with the rest.  Take care of yourself.

Gaz
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2006, 08:44:43 AM »
Thanks guys.  I really appreciate that I have this outlet & that our little community here is so understanding & supportive.

Pax.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2006, 09:25:25 AM »
Thanks guys.  I really appreciate that I have this outlet & that our little community here is so understanding & supportive.

Pax.

Mark, just want to add my best wishes.  Keep your head up.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
couldn't resist...
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2006, 12:01:39 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Pax.
Mark, just want to add my best wishes.  Keep your head up.

Coming from Rod, I'd expect him to say "keep your head down" but I guess golf clichés don't apply everywhere!
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

but seriously, I'm going to put you and your family on our email prayer list today.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!