Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 263716 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: My 22 minutes of er, notoriety?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 08:34:05 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "urth"
I've been meaning to finally let you guys in on this for a few days, but have been kinda spacy (so what else is new?).

But if you have cable, and you're not doing anything this Friday evening at about 8:30, you might want to tune in HGTV:

That's great! I'll try to catch one of the replays.  BTW, that's channel 67 for those with Comcast.

So do I get a play-by-play?  Or just the post-show recap?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 07:31:35 PM »
Wow, what fun. Had a big smile on my face the whole time while watching.

Images at http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_design_office_workspace/article/0,1793,HGTV_3378_4394425,00.html

Sarah looks/sounds like a lot of fun.
Are you both pleased with all the crew did? Any regrets? Worried the plastic trash can/bulb cover might melt? I can hardly believe it was all done so inexpensively. How long did it take?
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 10:49:32 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

Images at http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_design_office_workspace/article/0,1793,HGTV_3378_4394425,00.html

Are you both pleased with all the crew did? Any regrets? Worried the plastic trash can/bulb cover might melt? I can hardly believe it was all done so inexpensively. How long did it take?

Oh, what lovely work!  My congrats.  (Though I would have recommended taking the Beatles figurines out of the boxes -- as a fellow owner of them, I insist that it's more fun to play with them than to collect them.  :P  )
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 06:28:34 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

Ali, thanks for the link to those pics--I hadn't seen that page before.

Overall, yes, we're pleased with the way things turned out. However, being as the entire makeover took only two days, you can imagine that some things were done in a hurry-up fashion so they'd look good on TV, but weren't quite so fastidious in real life. We had to touch up the paint a bit, both on the walls and on the flat files (hell, the walls weren't even totally dry yet when they started hanging posters, so we had to unstick a couple of them from the wall and repaint where they'd stuck.) And sad to say, I don't have as much CD storage space as we did before. Only A thru part of W fit on the shelves, so the rest of W thru Various Artists are still in boxes in the garage. We're planning to add another row of shelves below the existing ones one day soon (I swear we are!). And still need to put some shelves in the closet for the vinyl.

As for the light shade, I'm not so concerned with it melting as with the fact that it just doesn't shed a whole lot of light. So that's something else that we're thinking of swapping out for something a little less lo-budget.

One thing they didn't show was that a lot of the actual work painting, scraping, sewing, was not done by us or the cast member, but 3 or 4 production assistants who were there to provide manpower and help get it all done in time.

But overall we like the room--it's much less cluttered and easier to work in. No real regrets--the whole process was a lot of fun, the crew were really nice people and I'd recommend the experience to anyone with a lot of junk and a room that needs to be remade.

And in response to Gaz's comment about the Beatles figurines, would you believe we actually do have another set of them, several of which have been opened and played with? (The out-of-package Yellow Submarine is shown in one of the scenes of the show, sitting on a shelf with some of our knick-knacks elsewhere in the house.)
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 02:32:06 PM »
gazoo - i love your avatar!!! you know i once kissed frenchie in her dorm room?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 02:52:09 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

is that a euphemism or were you actually in her dorm room?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 03:13:15 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

is that a euphemism or were you actually in her dorm room?

not a euphemism.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Good news and bad news
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 03:58:37 PM »
First, the bad news: New Times's acquisition of ther Village Voice has more or less killed my career there.  They don't believe in spending much time on copy editing, proofreading, and fact checking, and so they've slashed staff.  Not only am I not being offered a full-time gig, I'm losing all of my shifts there except for the occasional Friday night or Saturday afternoon.  I am more furious about this than I choose to express here.

Now: the good news: The EMP has accepted my proposal on "Ten Reasons the Monkees Should Be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame," and so I will be doing a repeat role as presenter at this year's Pop Conference in Seattle.  Very flattering.

And the other news: I will be in SF from Tuesday the 21st through Tuesday the 28th.  My friend Brandon's wake is on the afternoon of Saturday the 25th, and I decided that the only way I could draw some good from being there would be to spend some actual time in my City, the city that he drew me to.  It would be lovely to see you all while I'm in town.

Gaz

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 08:36:24 PM »
Wow. Sorry about the job. One door closes and another shall open. Congrats on the Monkees.
I'll probably miss seeing you in SF. I'll be in Tahoe from the 18th-24th.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Good news and bad news
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 09:18:04 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
First, the bad news: New Times's acquisition of ther Village Voice has more or less killed my career there.  They don't believe in spending much time on copy editing, proofreading, and fact checking, and so they've slashed staff.  Not only am I not being offered a full-time gig, I'm losing all of my shifts there except for the occasional Friday night or Saturday afternoon.  I am more furious about this than I choose to express here.

Now: the good news: The EMP has accepted my proposal on "Ten Reasons the Monkees Should Be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame," and so I will be doing a repeat role as presenter at this year's Pop Conference in Seattle.  Very flattering.

And the other news: I will be in SF from Tuesday the 21st through Tuesday the 28th.  My friend Brandon's wake is on the afternoon of Saturday the 25th, and I decided that the only way I could draw some good from being there would be to spend some actual time in my City, the city that he drew me to.  It would be lovely to see you all while I'm in town.

Gaz

Joe, sorry to hear about the job sitch--I will check with some of the CNET folks in NY to see if there's anything else opening up back there.

But, I'm way psyched to hear you're coming out west for a week, albeit for a rather bittersweet cause. We should def. try to hook up for a club gathering and perhaps to see some music. There are a couple of good shows while you're here so maybe we can connect for one of those as well. Keep us apprised of your availability and hopefully we can all get together.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 09:53:44 PM »
I second the condolences above -- and also the suggestion for a Club gathering.  I'm assuming you have a place/places to stay?  A week is a wonderful thing. I'll take off either that Fri or Mon if you'd like to do one of those day trips you talked about a while back (Village Music in Mill Valley was one of 'em). Aside from the Saturday memorial, are any of the days spoken for?  A week in SF will be a wonderful thing.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2006, 06:35:41 AM »
I second the condolences above -- and also the suggestion for a Club gathering.  I'm assuming you have a place/places to stay?  A week is a wonderful thing. I'll take off either that Fri or Mon if you'd like to do one of those day trips you talked about a while back (Village Music in Mill Valley was one of 'em). Aside from the Saturday memorial, are any of the days spoken for?  A week in SF will be a wonderful thing.

I haven't made arrangements other than the flight yet; during the weekend I'm splitting a hotel room with my friend Victor (another college friend who was close to Brandon) but the rest of the time is couch surfing TBD.  None of my time is spoken for other than Saturday so I'm all ears for suggestions and invitations for day trips, music shows, and such.  Indeed, I don't intend to spend the entire week in abject mourning.

Thanks for your notes, gang.  I'll say more as we approach the date.

Gaz

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2006, 10:18:19 PM »
So as my visit's in less than two weeks, I wanted to check in and see if there's a night when we can all get together for a drink, maybe a bite to eat, maybe a show.  Urth noted that Supergrass plays the GAMH on Thursday 2/23 and Robyn Hitchcock is joined by the Minus 5 at Slim's on Monday the 2/27.  I'll be occupied from Friday noonish through Sunday night (my other best friend, Victor, was close to Brandon as well and will be flying in for the weekend) so anything would have to be a weeknight.  Let's tawk.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 10:25:56 PM »
So as my visit's in less than two weeks, I wanted to check in and see if there's a night when we can all get together for a drink, maybe a bite to eat, maybe a show.  Urth noted that Supergrass plays the GAMH on Thursday 2/23 and Robyn Hitchcock is joined by the Minus 5 at Slim's on Monday the 2/27.  I'll be occupied from Friday noonish through Sunday night (my other best friend, Victor, was close to Brandon as well and will be flying in for the weekend) so anything would have to be a weeknight.  Let's tawk.

given the above, I'd suggest an after-work margaritas-at-Chevy's (or wherever) thang; a music listening/swapping gathering at somebody's home would end up being a long evening, if experience is any teacher. And most of us can't do that on a "school nite".  maybe Wednesday?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »

given the above, I'd suggest an after-work margaritas-at-Chevy's (or wherever) thang; a music listening/swapping gathering at somebody's home would end up being a long evening, if experience is any teacher. And most of us can't do that on a "school nite".  maybe Wednesday?

Yeah, Wednesday is probably the only night I could do it given the above as well. It should probably be someplace that's BART- and/or parking-accessible for the East bay/peninsula contingent. Chevy's is fine (Embarcadero Ctr. or 3rd & Howard), or any place we can get food with our bevvies. (I get cranky if I don't get fed--it's a blood-sugar thing.)
Let's get right to it.