Author Topic: 26 July 2011 it's... a 1998 "classic"  (Read 5769 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: 26 July 2011 it's... 1998
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 10:34:53 AM »
Ah Neil Finn. Check this out and tell me how that isn't a Finn Brothers song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S3AsMuG3us
(Dorky fan video, but best audio.)

Heard on Prarie Home Companion, which usually put me right to sleep.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 26 July 2011 it's... 1998
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »
BOS to Lucinda, who I wish they (or anyone) would play more. Also, yay BNL although whenever I hear them I get sad about Steven Page leaving the band.

Boo Sheryl Crow. I still carry a grudge over the suicide of one of her uncredited collaborators in the Tuesday Night Music Club. Also, Lance Armstrong.

I've hated Sheryl 'ho ever since I found out she f---ked Crapton.

re: Lucinda, "Car Wheels..." is the classic "sound like someone KFOG already plays and they'll play *you* " situation. In this case LW sounded like Bonnie Raitt on this and suddenly Triple-A radio was like, "who is this wonderful new artist?"... who'd been around for a decade or more.  She gets lots of love on KPIG.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 26 July 2011 it's... a 1998 "classic"
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »
Missed this rerun, but would've BOSed Lucinda and Dame Shirley.  The rest?  Fuggedaboutit.  Ugh.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
BOS to Lucinda, who I wish they (or anyone) would play more. Also, yay BNL although whenever I hear them I get sad about Steven Page leaving the band.

Boo Sheryl Crow. I still carry a grudge over the suicide of one of her uncredited collaborators in the Tuesday Night Music Club. Also, Lance Armstrong.

re: Lucinda, "Car Wheels..." is the classic "sound like someone KFOG already plays and they'll play *you* " situation. In this case LW sounded like Bonnie Raitt on this and suddenly Triple-A radio was like, "who is this wonderful new artist?"... who'd been around for a decade or more.  She gets lots of love on KPIG.

Hells yeah to KPIG, but Lucinda sounds like Bonnie? No way man. Maybe if Bonnie dragged her voice on a gravel road. ;-)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 26 July 2011 it's... ??
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 09:39:26 PM »
I'm a little disadvantaged on understanding all these changes, so perhaps someone can clue me in? I went away for a while due to work, but usually listen at night (like now).

It seems like the past few weeks have been way denser with late 80's and 90's sets. Now I like my 90-94 as much as the next person my age, but you have to mix in some 70's and Soul Patrol. Were there station changes?

What is with the "SF" abbreviations? Who is "DC"?

The small positive change is that AL's news clips are more interesting, with tie-ins to the songs. But that doesn't mean the music should become monotonous.

KFOG, in general, has been skewing way newer lately.  We have been discussing it in the "KFOG but not 10@10" topic, starting here: http://10at10club.com/forum/index.php?topic=646.msg141498#msg141498

DC = Dennis Constantine, the new PD (there wasn't one before.)

I agree about the clips being more interesting/relevant.  I've also noticed production being a bit "slicker."

THanks for the link - I really should participate over there. I have noticed that KFOG of late has been much more "car-worthy" than in the past, and the production in general has seem to have improved.

I think it was inevitable that the station would 'move forward' with its song rosters - as a 40 year old male listener, even with what I would consider a healthy amount of musical appreciation, I did feel a little kerplekt at the weeks when there were two or three pre-1980 sets. I can only imagine what 20 somethings, KFOG's eventual target audience, must have felt.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:43:41 PM by Swellegant »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 07:37:37 AM »

re: Lucinda, "Car Wheels..." is the classic "sound like someone KFOG already plays and they'll play *you* " situation. In this case LW sounded like Bonnie Raitt on this and suddenly Triple-A radio was like, "who is this wonderful new artist?"... who'd been around for a decade or more.  She gets lots of love on KPIG.

Hells yeah to KPIG, but Lucinda sounds like Bonnie? No way man. Maybe if Bonnie dragged her voice on a gravel road. ;-)

No, I'm not saying Lucinda sounds like Bonnie generally, but "Car Wheels..." was a blatant attempt at a Raitt-sounding song and Triple-A radio took the bait.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 06:59:53 PM »
7/26/11 - Tuesday - 1998!
1.  Barenaked Ladies - It's All Been Done
2.  Sheryl Crow- There Goes The Neighborhood
(News: local)
3.  Tragically Hip- Poets
(News: President Clinton affair)
4.  Chris Isaak- Speak Of The Devil
5.  Lucinda Williams- Car Wheels On A Gravel Road (B.O.S-tie!)
(TV: series finale of Seinfeld)
6.  Semisonic- Closing Time
7.  Train- Meet Virginia
(TV: The Ellen Show with Emma Thompson)
8.  Neil Finn- She Will Have Her Way
9.  Foo Fighters- Walking After You
(Movie: There's Something About Mary)
10.  Propellerheads w/Shirley Bassey- History Repeating (B.O.S-tie!)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!