Author Topic: The Theater Thread  (Read 13287 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Theater Thread
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:26:35 AM »
OK it's about time we had a separate thread for this stuff.

and to inaugurate it: Gaz should know there's a revival of "Godspell" coming to B'way this fall:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/prepare-ye-the-way-of-the-lord-godspell-revival-coming-to-broadway/
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Theater Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »
I'll give serious consideration to that - and to the Shaggs musical (thanks!).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »

and I'll reiterate that you REALLY need to see Avenue Q and Jersey Boys. (and Ave Q is at New World Stages and always at the TKTS booth, so therefore very cheap.)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »

The South Park guys were on Terry Gross' Fresh Air recently talking about their Book Of Mormon musical.  I imagine it's fun.  ...and probably $150 a ticket.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »

The South Park guys were on Terry Gross' Fresh Air recently talking about their Book Of Mormon musical.  I imagine it's fun.  ...and probably $150 a ticket.

Yeah, and that's cheap for an Orch seat at a mucial these days. Gaz & I paid $99 for balcony. Totally worth it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:11:44 PM »
From the ticket confirmation I got for tomo'w nite's perf of Tales of the City:

"Please be advised that this production contains brief nudity, drug use, adult situations, and disco lights. Parental guidance is suggested"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 08:37:04 AM »
From the ticket confirmation I got for tomo'w nite's perf of Tales of the City:

"Please be advised that this production contains brief nudity, drug use, adult situations, and disco lights. Parental guidance is suggested"

the disco lights is probably related to warnings to epileptics, unless it's just a joke!
 ;D
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »
Well, I saw Tales of the City last nite -- a preview; the official opening is Tuesday. I'll be interested to see what the critics have to say. My feeling is that it's enjoyable but needs work.

It's a long show -- they've mashed the first 2 books (Tales... and More Tales...) together and created a very plot-heavy 3 hours. What once unfolded leisurely (first in the newspaper and then in book form) seems a bit rushed. The songs by the guys from Scissor Sisters are a mixed bag. They're better when they're being disco/clever/satriric then when they're being sincere/Sondheimian. Theater legend Judy Kaye, who's done everything from Phantom to Sweeney Todd to Mamma Mia!, plays Mrs Madrigal and she's quite good. The actress who plays MaryAnn (Laura Linney's big break in the TV miniseries) appears to be doing a dead-on impersonation of Jane Krakowski as Jenna on 30 Rock. She looks and sounds just like her. This makes the character seem less innocent than she's supposed to be.  In an odd casting twist, they've made Jon (the preppy, "A-gay" gynecologist that Michael Tolliver falls in love with) African-American, which keeps the ensemble from being completely white but doesn't quite jibe with the upper-crust homo crowd his character supposedly runs with. Nicest surprise: slutty, drug-addled Mona Ramsey is played by Mary Birdsong, best-known as the very butch Deputy Kimball in the latter seasons of Reno 911. She was quite a revelation; I'd never have recognized her.

The songs work to drive the plot but I didn't walk out humming any of them. This is a show that needs more outrageous humor (given the source material). There's *some*, but it pales in comparison to, say Book of Mormon. Not clear if this will make it to B'way next season, but if it does... expect changes.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
Well, I saw Tales of the City last nite -- a preview; the official opening is Tuesday. I'll be interested to see what the critics have to say. My feeling is that it's enjoyable but needs work.

It's a long show -- they've mashed the first 2 books (Tales... and More Tales...) together and created a very plot-heavy 3 hours. What once unfolded leisurely (first in the newspaper and then in book form) seems a bit rushed. The songs by the guys from Scissor Sisters are a mixed bag. They're better when they're being disco/clever/satriric then when they're being sincere/Sondheimian. Theater legend Judy Kaye, who's done everything from Phantom to Sweeney Todd to Mamma Mia!, plays Mrs Madrigal and she's quite good. The actress who plays MaryAnn (Laura Linney's big break in the TV miniseries) appears to be doing a dead-on impersonation of Jane Krakowski as Jenna on 30 Rock. She looks and sounds just like her. This makes the character seem less innocent than she's supposed to be.  In an odd casting twist, they've made Jon (the preppy, "A-gay" gynecologist that Michael Tolliver falls in love with) African-American, which keeps the ensemble from being completely white but doesn't quite jibe with the upper-crust homo crowd his character supposedly runs with. Nicest surprise: slutty, drug-addled Mona Ramsey is played by Mary Birdsong, best-known as the very butch Deputy Kimball in the latter seasons of Reno 911. She was quite a revelation; I'd never have recognized her.

The songs work to drive the plot but I didn't walk out humming any of them. This is a show that needs more outrageous humor (given the source material). There's *some*, but it pales in comparison to, say Book of Mormon. Not clear if this will make it to B'way next season, but if it does... expect changes.

Nice review!  How were the disco lights?   :)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »

Nice review!  How were the disco lights?   :)

Not bright enuf...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 08:14:23 AM »
The Chron gives TOTC a mixed review:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/06/01/DD5S1JMOKL.DTL

But check out the comments: a guy calling himself "jerk_quake" said the same thing I did about the actress playing Mary Ann. So I'm not crazy!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 08:13:12 AM »

well the Shaggs musical opened -- not a good review from the NYT.

http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/theater/reviews/the-shaggs-philosophy-of-the-world-at-playwrights-horizons.html?hpw

But Annie Golden plays their mom!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 10:57:09 AM »
Dude! Sweet! for 4 days only you can download the entire Book of Mormon orig cast album for $1.99!

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Mormon-Explicit-Digital-Booklet/dp/B004ZCLL16/ref=dm_bookmormon_shorturl

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 03:31:17 PM »
Neil Patrick Harris' HIGH-larious Tony Awards opening number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6S5caRGpK4
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:28:38 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 03:44:06 PM »
Neil Patrick Harris HIGHlarious Tony Awards opening number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6S5caRGpK4

thought I'd posted the info here, but the song was written by Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne/"That Thing You Do"/Cry Baby fame. He co-wrote with his writing partner, David Javerbaum -- they did Cry baby on B'way together -- and Adam did the music, David the lyrics.