Author Topic: The Theater Thread  (Read 13283 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Theater Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 12:16:13 PM »
As I mentioned in the Movie Thread, I'm seeing the filmed concert version of "Company" tonite -- NPH, Steven Colbert, Patti Lupone, Christina Hendricks, Jon Cryer and others doing the Sondheim musical. Looking forward to it as entertainment but I'm also curious: I've never done one of these one-nite-only movie theater things put on by "Fathom Events". I'd heard bad things about them, but they've put on 3 or 4 of these one-shots a month (everything from the Met Opera to Glenn Beck to Mystery Science Theater "live") for years now, so they must know what they're doing, no? Has anyone had experience with their shows?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »
As I mentioned in the Movie Thread, I'm seeing the filmed concert version of "Company" tonite -- NPH, Steven Colbert, Patti Lupone, Christina Hendricks, Jon Cryer and others doing the Sondheim musical. Looking forward to it as entertainment but I'm also curious: I've never done one of these one-nite-only movie theater things put on by "Fathom Events". I'd heard bad things about them, but they've put on 3 or 4 of these one-shots a month (everything from the Met Opera to Glenn Beck to Mystery Science Theater "live") for years now, so they must know what they're doing, no? Has anyone had experience with their shows?

no, but Terry Gross' Fresh Air had Colbert on earlier this week and they were talking this event up.  Expect a straightforward perf from Mr. Colbert, who was a theater major at Northwestern and reveres Sondheim. 

If you're a Colbert fan -- or a Sondhiem fan -- the Fresh Air interview is pretty good. 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »
Dave (Eurythmics) Stewart has written the songs for the musical version of Ghost. Pottery wheel optional.  It's playing in London, and Ben Brantley of the NYT was not pleased:

"The music –- aside from 'Unchained Melody,' which arrives like manna from that big radio in the sky –- is by Dave Stewart (once of the Eurythmics) and Glen Ballard, and it is the aural equivalent of a Stairmaster. Successions of ascending notes are repeated aerobically, until they just stop, as if they had gotten tired."

Eeek.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 02:02:03 PM »
Gaz and I were VERY lucky to have seen Book of Mormon from $99 balcony seats in April...

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-06-16/-mormon-tickets-soar-to-487-as-satire-breaks-broadway-records.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 08:57:03 PM »
Diner... the musical? OK. With songs by... Sheryl 'Ho?? Er...

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/diner-musical-by-barry-levinson-and-sheryl-crow-is-setting-a-place-on-broadway/#more-231045

Say it's not so, 'Ho.

(Btw, does anyone else think that the fellow on the far right in the accompanying pic is mis-ID'd as Paul Reiser? I think it could be Tim Daly, but it's tough to tell.)

Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »
Diner... the musical? OK. With songs by... Sheryl 'Ho?? Er...

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/diner-musical-by-barry-levinson-and-sheryl-crow-is-setting-a-place-on-broadway/#more-231045

Say it's not so, 'Ho.

(Btw, does anyone else think that the fellow on the far right in the accompanying pic is mis-ID'd as Paul Reiser? I think it could be Tim Daly, but it's tough to tell.)

you're right:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118043104?refcatid=15
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »
sorry, no David Bowie musical... yet

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/bowie-shoots-down-report-of-musical-based-on-his-songs/

Honestly, the show described in the article sounds godawful, kinda like that Queen musical that ran in London for a few years.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
Posting this esp for Gaz since it's playing in NYC (on Sunday nites only, apparently) -- sounds like a hoot.  "Disaster!" a spoof of '70s disaster flicks with a score made up of cheezy '70s hits.

http://theater.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/theater/reviews/disaster-at-the-triad.html?ref=theater

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 08:40:29 PM »
get yer tix now: Book of Mormon coming to the Curran for 5 weeks in November!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/15/DDHD1N7P16.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Animal House: The Musical??  Yup -- being developed with songs by... Barenaked Ladies.  Oy.

"Do you mind if we dance with yo' dates... fo' One Week?"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 11:32:41 AM »
Saw The Scottsboro Boys at A.C.T. last nite -- liked it a lot; not sure why it got such mixed notices in NY.  Bonus: the Master of Ceremonies -- the only white actor in the cast -- is played by Barney Miller himself, Hal Linden!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:36:06 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 08:57:41 AM »
capitalizing on the popularity of "the Three Tenors", there is currently on B'way a show with 3 black tenors called "Three Mo' Tenors". Oy.

Does this mean we'll get a show with gay tenors called "Three 'mo Tenors"?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 08:39:31 AM »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »
capitalizing on the popularity of "the Three Tenors", there is currently on B'way a show with 3 black tenors called "Three Mo' Tenors". Oy.

Does this mean we'll get a show with gay tenors called "Three 'mo Tenors"?

What about Three Moor Tenors?
~CPL593H~