Author Topic: "The SF Weekly Warfield"  (Read 10816 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
"The SF Weekly Warfield"
« on: June 30, 2005, 07:41:30 AM »
I couldn't find a link to the story, but KFOG reported this morning that BGP/Clear Channel has sold naming rights to the Warfield to SF weekly; in return the Warfield will advertise its shows in the Weekly ONLY. The Guardian is pissed.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: "The SF Weekly Warfield"
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 08:07:04 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I couldn't find a link to the story, but KFOG reported this morning that BGP/Clear Channel has sold naming rights to the Warfield to SF weekly; in return the Warfield will advertise its shows in the Weekly ONLY. The Guardian is pissed.

What a bad, bad business decision on the part of the Warfield management.  People don't want to choose between papers just to get show information.  If anything this'll only damage awareness of, and thus attendance at, Warfield shows.

The SFBG should respond by ceasing to review shows at the venue.  If artists express unwillingness to be booked there on grounds of insufficient media coverage, that agreement will be rethought.  At least that's my hunch.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
"The SF Weekly Warfield"
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 09:08:03 AM »
all about the mighty dollar. How long before the GG Bridge sells naming rights? Seriously.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
"The SF Weekly Warfield"
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 09:12:12 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
all about the mighty dollar. How long before the GG Bridge sells naming rights? Seriously.

That's what the SFBG should do, agreed to fund the eastern span of the San Francisco Bay Guardian Bridge!

Why has no one thought of this before?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
"The SF Weekly Warfield"
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 09:31:06 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Alicat"

That's what the SFBG should do, agreed to fund the eastern span of the San Francisco Bay Guardian Bridge!

Why has no one thought of this before?

"Drive on my bridge, Dammit!"

Unfortunately Bruce Brugmann, the Guardian's owner, is actually just as cheap as anyone at Clear Channel. He just puts up a better champion-of-the-downtrodden front.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 09:33:01 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
What a bad, bad business decision on the part of the Warfield management.  People don't want to choose between papers just to get show information.  If anything this'll only damage awareness of, and thus attendance at, Warfield shows.

The SFBG should respond by ceasing to review shows at the venue.  If artists express unwillingness to be booked there on grounds of insufficient media coverage, that agreement will be rethought.  At least that's my hunch.

I think that's jounalistically unethical, but far from unusual.  If  the BG refuses to  review important shows, it just becomes less important.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 09:43:43 AM »

I fully agree, by limiting Warfield advertising to the Weekly, thus eliminating the Guardian and the Sunday Chron (both of which, have siginificantly greater circulation than the Weakly), they're going to have significantly LESS public awareness of their bookings. And yeah, it will probably mean some shows won't sell out that otherwise could have.

Those morons in Texas have no effin' CLUE about how to run an entertainment business. That's not news by any stretch; this is just more evidence to support it.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 09:46:07 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I think that's jounalistically unethical, but far from unusual.  If  the BG refuses to  review important shows, it just becomes less important.

You're right, but then the agreement the Weekly has entered into is also questionable. And what percentage of shows at the Warfield qualify as "important", in any case? The SFBG should refer to it as "the venue formerly called the Warfield".

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
"The SF Weekly Warfield"
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 09:50:25 AM »
Just checked the BGP site to see if they had a press release or something on this. Negatory, but in the banner across the top of the front page where they list upcoming shows, there it was:

7/22 Alkaline Trio SF Weekly Warfield

Stupid fucking Texans.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
"The SF Weekly Warfield"
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 09:54:34 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Stupid fucking Texans.

Hey, it's the land of Take Your Gun To Work & Drive-Thru Liquor Stores.

But I have a lot of friends in Texas, even a couple self-described rednecks.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
"The SF Weekly Warfield"
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 09:56:00 AM »
I was born in El Paso. Granted- it was at Fort Bliss to parents from Brooklyn. But, thereyago.
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
"The SF Weekly Warfield"
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 09:56:02 AM »

Stupid fucking Texans.

your new sig is quite appropriate to any discussion of Texas!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
"The SF Weekly Warfield"
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 10:01:05 AM »

your new sig is quite appropriate to any discussion of Texas!

That's from The Michael Stanley Band's first album, "Let's Get the Show on the Road."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gaz at da Voice

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 10:17:22 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I think "unethical" is a bit much -- it's not a news blackout, it's just entertainment, and a publication always has editorial leeway insofar as which concerts to cover.  The Voice, f'rex, often ignores big-name shows in favor of personal favorites or shows that give the author a chance to riff on a separate/related topic.  If something big happens at the Warf (such as a Dead Kennedys reunion), the SFBG ignores it at its own peril -- but within its own right.  But it is an interesting thing to consider.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
"The SF Weekly Warfield"
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 11:45:06 AM »

Stupid fucking Texans.

I should probably clarify: not all Texans are stupid, but it sure seems like the ones who rise to control various corporations (Clear Channel, Enron, oh, and our country) sure as hell are.
Let's get right to it.