Author Topic: 2 December 2009: mystery year (1985)  (Read 12848 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 2 December 2009: mystery year (1985)
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
holee crap to the nth power! uber-BOS8 Tom Waits.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47:07 AM »
BOS for Tom Waits, sounded like nothing else from 1985 (or any other year).
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 10:50:46 AM »
Nick Laird-Clowes, was one of the luckiest dudes in R'n'R history.  The story goes thata friend of his (girfriend I think) was acquainted with Paull Simon, iirc because she lived down the hall from the flat Simon kept in London at that time.  Anyway, he got to hang out with Simon on evening, just plinking around on the guitar, and he told Simon that he had just come up with this riff: "hey-oh ma ma ma".

Simon liked it a lot (not surprising considering how many of his songs have that kind of stuff in them (c.f. "The Boxer", et al.).

Next thing you know, he had a band, a contract & David Gilmour producing.  The completed song was supposedly an elegy for Nick Drake.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »
Nick Laird-Clowes, was one of the luckiest dudes in R'n'R history.  The story goes thata friend of his (girfriend I think) was acquainted with Paull Simon, iirc because she lived down the hall from the flat Simon kept in London at that time.  Anyway, he got to hang out with Simon on evening, just plinking around on the guitar, and he told Simon that he had just come up with this riff: "hey-oh ma ma ma".

Simon liked it a lot (not surprising considering how many of his songs have that kind of stuff in them (c.f. "The Boxer", et al.).

Next thing you know, he had a band, a contract & David Gilmour producing.  The completed song was supposedly an elegy for Nick Drake.

and Simon offered to produce their next LP and they said "no thanks" -- way to show gratitude, dude!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »
"How Soon Is Now?" is kinda obvious though.

Except that when the first few notes came on, my first thought was, "Soho's 'Hippychick' was '88, I think."

no, 1990.  I remember it from when I lived in Santa Barbara & checked to confirm.  It peaked at #14 that year.

That, @ she played it for her 1990 set!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »
i recorded this set and have it saved as a QT movie audio track..  Msg me w your email if you want it.  Of course, you should delete it within 24 hours.    :P
~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:57 AM »
New-wave centric set.  Love it!
Uber-BOS to New Order! BOS's to The Smiths, Tom Waits.
VHM: Dream Academy, Animotion.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 10:59:48 AM »
when I grabbed that photo of The Firm I looked up more info on Chris Slade.  Anyone have any idea who he started out playing drums for (when he was only 19)?  Hint: it was the Grammy winning Best New Artist of 1965.
Cool question, but I have no idea.  Petula Clark

ETA: I was pleased to see that Petula Clark WAS one of the nominees for 1965.

It was Tom Jones, Slade played on "It's Not Unusual" & stuck with him until 1969.  According to AMG Jones won in 1965, but they have been known to be imperfect in the past.

interesting background on "It's Not Unusual" -http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=33:jjftxxt0ldje

per AMG: Chris Slade has had quite a storied career. Born in 1946, his first claim to fame was playing on the Tom Jones single "It's Not Unusual." He stayed with Jones until 1969, when he left to be the drummer in a group called Toomorrow with Olivia Newton-John. By 1972, he had moved on to Manfred Mann's Earth Band and played with them until 1978. His next real group was with Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers in the Firm. That band wanted him so badly that they waited several months for him to finish a previous commitment with David Gilmour. After the demise of the Firm, Slade hooked up with AC/DC for quite a while. He then became the drummer for the prog rock group Asia.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 11:10:48 AM »
His next real group was with Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers in the Firm. That band wanted him so badly that they waited several months for him to finish a previous commitment with David Gilmour. After the demise of the Firm, Slade hooked up with AC/DC for quite a while. He then became the drummer for the prog rock group Asia.

I remember seeing Slade behind the kit with David Gilmour in the summer of '84. Had no idea he went on to AC/DC though, let alone Asia.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »
And for today's bonus, AL jumps genres and comes up with....The Goat!!!

Could not close the player fast enough.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 11:21:31 AM »
And for today's bonus, AL jumps genres and comes up with....The Goat!!!

Could not close the player fast enough.

I couldn't either, which is to say that I closed it much to slowly.  Aaack!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 11:42:01 AM »
His next real group was with Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers in the Firm. That band wanted him so badly that they waited several months for him to finish a previous commitment with David Gilmour. After the demise of the Firm, Slade hooked up with AC/DC for quite a while. He then became the drummer for the prog rock group Asia.

I remember seeing Slade behind the kit with David Gilmour in the summer of '84. Had no idea he went on to AC/DC though, let alone Asia.

He really shoulda played with Slade at one point...

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »

I was thinking he should start a band with Peter Garrett (Midnight Oil) on vox, Joe Satriani on guitar, Tony Levin (Peter Gabriel, King Crimson) on bass, and maybe Paul Shaffer on keys. They could call themselves The Chromedomes.

Garrett

Satriani

Levin

Shaffer
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »

I was thinking he should start a band with Peter Garrett (Midnight Oil) on vox, Joe Satriani on guitar, Tony Levin (Peter Gabriel, King Crimson) on bass, and maybe Paul Shaffer on keys. They could call themselves The Chromedomes.

Garrett

Satriani

Levin

Shaffer

you could also swap in Ed Cassidy from Spirit on skins (pun intended!) if you want (I believe the Spirit song Mr Skin was inspired by him.)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:32:49 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »
12/02/09 - Midweek!!  Today is....shhhhhhh....it's a Mystery Year!

1.  The Smiths - How Soon is Now? (BOS!)
(Ad:  Nintendo)
   2.  The Firm - Radioactive
   3.  Animotion - Obsession
(Movie:  Weird Science)
   4.  Oingo Boingo - Weird Science
   5.  Prince - Raspberry Beret
(Movie:  Pee Wee's Big Adventure)
   6.  New Order - The Perfect Kiss (BOS!!)
(News:  Live Aid)
   7.  Hooters - And We Danced
(News:  South Africa Apartheid)
   8.  Hoodoo Gurus - Bittersweet
   9.  Dream Academy - Life in a Northern Town
 10.  Tom Waits - Downtown Train (BOS!!!)

BONUS TRACK:  Stevie Nicks - Talk to Me

Did you guess the year???  1985!!
Let's get right to it.