Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1078497 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #780 on: April 25, 2008, 09:45:36 AM »
Duffy just blew the studio crew away with "Mercy" -- have mercy indeed!

and now she's doing a cover of Otis' "These Arms of Mine"!

I'm sorry I missed that!  But I bet I'll hear it at year's end on the next LFTA comp.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Rock I haven't heard in Ages
« Reply #781 on: April 25, 2008, 11:58:15 AM »
Oh yeah -- KFOG used to play Train.  Now they just pull it out so that all the 90s songs don't have to be Sheryl Crow.

They've also gotta dig deep for their 60s tracks.  Really?  The Troggs?  It's almost funny.

Did Dave say that? I think they've probably gotta work hard to find '60s tracks that won't make the younger demo change the station.  ;)

I've been frankly getting pretty fed up with their 60's cuts during Rock of Ages week.  I think on Monday I heard something that was a 1HW (can't recall it since) but everything since has been Beatles-Stones-CCR-Doors - major Hall of Fame stuff - sounds just like KFOX.  I think the closest thing to a rarity I heard all week (and working from home I've listened to many more hours this week than usual) was The Kingsmen.  >:( >:( >:(

well, here's the Byrds' "So You Wanna Be a R'R Star", one you don't hear every day. If they'd followed it with Patti Smith's cover I'd've had an orgasm.

No, not everyday, that's true, but...I guess my feeling is that when they make a big deal of "going deep into the Wall of CD's", I'm entitled to expect more.  But for all I  know, they just ran out and bought about 15 greatest hits CD's and that would have covered everything I've heard.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 25, 2008, 12:38:02 PM »
Oh yeah -- KFOG used to play Train.  Now they just pull it out so that all the 90s songs don't have to be Sheryl Crow.

They've also gotta dig deep for their 60s tracks.  Really?  The Troggs?  It's almost funny.

Did Dave say that? I think they've probably gotta work hard to find '60s tracks that won't make the younger demo change the station.  ;)

I've been frankly getting pretty fed up with their 60's cuts during Rock of Ages week.  I think on Monday I heard something that was a 1HW (can't recall it since) but everything since has been Beatles-Stones-CCR-Doors - major Hall of Fame stuff - sounds just like KFOX.  I think the closest thing to a rarity I heard all week (and working from home I've listened to many more hours this week than usual) was The Kingsmen.  >:( >:( >:(

well, here's the Byrds' "So You Wanna Be a R'R Star", one you don't hear every day. If they'd followed it with Patti Smith's cover I'd've had an orgasm.

No, not everyday, that's true, but...I guess my feeling is that when they make a big deal of "going deep into the Wall of CD's", I'm entitled to expect more.  But for all I  know, they just ran out and bought about 15 greatest hits CD's and that would have covered everything I've heard.

Oh, You're quite right.  It seems to me that all the '60 sets we hear on various 10@10s, even Rob's and Ginger's, tend to be heavy on staples ("Up on Cripple Creek" and "Goin' Up the Country" spring to mind) in a way that '70s sets are not.  It's demographic cover-your-ass thinking on the part of radio in general -- play something too obscure and 20-somethings tune away, even if every one of *us* are sitting here posting "OMFG! BOSFRA!"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 26, 2008, 12:12:17 AM »
It's demographic cover-your-ass thinking on the part of radio in general -- play something too obscure and 20-somethings tune away, even if every one of *us* are sitting here posting "OMFG! BOSFRA!"

Ha ha!  Well said.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #784 on: April 27, 2008, 03:20:13 PM »
It's demographic cover-your-ass thinking on the part of radio in general -- play something too obscure and 20-somethings tune away, even if every one of *us* are sitting here posting "OMFG! BOSFRA!"
Ha ha!  Well said.
So, the BOSFRA thing threw me for a loop, and I went over to the club lingo topic and figured it out!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 27, 2008, 06:14:25 PM »
Ha ha!  Well said.
So, the BOSFRA thing threw me for a loop, and I went over to the club lingo topic and figured it out!

a very recent addition to the glossary.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 29, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »
I don't doubt your observations about the 60s songs during Rock of Ages week, but big props to Annalisa who, independent of that promotion, just pulled out the Gregg Allman solo version of Midnight Rider (circa 73?). Hadn't heard that one in a good while. (Just checked the DB, and it's in there only once--six years ago almost to the day: April 30, 2002. I would hope KFOG has played it sometime since then. ;) )
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 29, 2008, 11:41:33 AM »
I don't doubt your observations about the 60s songs during Rock of Ages week, but big props to Annalisa who, independent of that promotion, just pulled out the Gregg Allman solo version of Midnight Rider (circa 73?). Hadn't heard that one in a good while. (Just checked the DB, and it's in there only once--six years ago almost to the day: April 30, 2002. I would hope KFOG has played it sometime since then. ;) )

Shortly after my rant on Friday Annalisa played The Contours, so props for that.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 16, 2008, 09:53:50 AM »
Heard now on KFOG, 10 minutes before 10@10: new Coldplay, "Violet Hill."  VERY impressed!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 16, 2008, 11:27:37 AM »
A caller got Dave to play the new Journey song this morning, because it's "awesome!"  So he did, and the morning crew, and one caller, were embarrassed to say that it was good. 

But it wasn't, so I was embarrassed for them.

Just more of the same, post when-they-were-good Journey, if you ask me. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 16, 2008, 05:24:07 PM »
A caller got Dave to play the new Journey song this morning, because it's "awesome!"  So he did, and the morning crew, and one caller, were embarrassed to say that it was good. 

But it wasn't, so I was embarrassed for them.

Just more of the same, post when-they-were-good Journey, if you ask me. 

I made a similar comment on the WDRV thread after Mike gave a WOS to the Journey tune Bob played.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 16, 2008, 05:27:19 PM »
Heard now on KFOG, 10 minutes before 10@10: new Coldplay, "Violet Hill."  VERY impressed!

I liked it a lot on first hearing as well.  It's been in heavy KFOG rotation for about 2 weeks now.  I got the free download from the Coldplay  website (along with about 2 million others at last count).  I still like it, but if KFOG gives it the Plain White T's treatment, I'm sure I'll get over it quickly.

BTW, I did the download because my 8 yr old said he really liked it on first listen (we were in the car at the time).

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 20, 2008, 09:24:42 AM »
Annalisa just played "Lover of the Bayou", by Mudcrutch.  Sounded really good, more guitar oriented than most Heartbreakers stuff.  I liked it.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 20, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »
Annalisa just played "Lover of the Bayou", by Mudcrutch.  Sounded really good, more guitar oriented than most Heartbreakers stuff.  I liked it.

When Petty runs out of Byrds covers, the world will end.  But yeah, it's nicely done. I always thought McGuinn should do an album of Petty tunes.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 30, 2008, 09:56:36 AM »
The "Acoustic Sunrise" ad at 5 before the hour played a clip from Willie Nelson's "Cowboys Are Frequently Secretly Fond of Each Other."  I was so delighted when that charted Hot 100 on its iTunes sales.  Does/did KFOG actually play it?