Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1093480 times)

SFGuy

Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #765 on: April 23, 2008, 02:36:04 AM »
Today's world class rock of ages commentary: Following 10@10, a Santana twin-spin: Jingo in the 60s, followed by Everything's Coming Our Way in the 70s. Could it be Winning representing the 80s and Smooth for the 90s to come?

ETA: Cha-CHING!!! Three out of four...

"Smooth" is an '00s tune, no?  ('90s & '00s blend together for me)

"Smooth" carried over from fall '99 well into 2000.

The song debut on the Hot 100 chart on July 31, 1999, hit #1 for 12 weeks from October 23, 1999 - January 8, 2000.

I think it was the most overplayed song of that period. It played on KFOG and top 40 radio at the time.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 23, 2008, 04:29:18 PM »
Catching up on posts now that the housework is wrapped up, yesterday when Scoop Nisker did his annual Earth Day rant he said two things that I thought were worth sharing.

on the subject of evolution

"Scientists now tell us we actually have three brains: a reptilian brain, a mammalian brain & the neocortex or human brain.  And studies show that the neocortex spends most of its time making up excuses for the actions of the other two."  <rimshot>

further on evolution & DNA

"[he saw] a T-shirt printed with the words: YOU SHARE 25% OF YOUR DNA WITH A BANANA.  GET OVER YOURSELF!"
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Rock I haven't heard in Ages
« Reply #767 on: April 24, 2008, 09:22:59 AM »
Oh yeah -- KFOG used to play Train.  Now they just pull it out so that all the 90s songs don't have to be Sheryl Crow.

They've also gotta dig deep for their 60s tracks.  Really?  The Troggs?  It's almost funny.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Rock I haven't heard in Ages
« Reply #768 on: April 24, 2008, 09:45:11 AM »
Oh yeah -- KFOG used to play Train.  Now they just pull it out so that all the 90s songs don't have to be Sheryl Crow.

They've also gotta dig deep for their 60s tracks.  Really?  The Troggs?  It's almost funny.

Did Dave say that? I think they've probably gotta work hard to find '60s tracks that won't make the younger demo change the station.  ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 24, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »
Dave just related a phone call from some guy wanting to know who did "it's going to take some time" -- it was driving him crazy. And Dave says he couldn't think of it until he hung up. "It's the Carpenters!" Well, yes, but also Carole King, who wrote it, Dave.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 24, 2008, 12:02:17 PM »
Dave just related a phone call from some guy wanting to know who did "it's going to take some time" -- it was driving him crazy. And Dave says he couldn't think of it until he hung up. "It's the Carpenters!" Well, yes, but also Carole King, who wrote it, Dave.
Heh, the only version of the song I've ever actually heard was Dishwalla's cover for the If I Were a Carpenter comp.  (Which is a must-own, IMHO.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 24, 2008, 08:42:47 PM »

Did Dave say that? I think they've probably gotta work hard to find '60s tracks that won't make the younger demo change the station.  ;)

I've been frankly getting pretty fed up with their 60's cuts during Rock of Ages week.  I think on Monday I heard something that was a 1HW (can't recall it since) but everything since has been Beatles-Stones-CCR-Doors - major Hall of Fame stuff - sounds just like KFOX.  I think the closest thing to a rarity I heard all week (and working from home I've listened to many more hours this week than usual) was The Kingsmen.  >:( >:( >:(
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 24, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »
Heh, the only version of the song I've ever actually heard was Dishwalla's cover for the If I Were a Carpenter comp.  (Which is a must-own, IMHO.)

Speaking of must-own, I can't believe you don't have a decent Carpenters anthol. Turn in your Friend-of-Dorothy(and Karen) Card!

But the covers comp is pretty fab -- Shonen Knife's "Top of the World" is one of the great power-pop tracks of the last 2 years, IMHO.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 24, 2008, 11:02:02 PM »

Speaking of must-own, I can't believe you don't have a decent Carpenters anthol. Turn in your Friend-of-Dorothy(and Karen) Card!

I own an indecent one.  It's missing not only IGTTSTTT, but also "Solitaire" and "Touch Me When We're Dancing" and "Ticket to Ride."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 25, 2008, 08:40:04 AM »

I've been frankly getting pretty fed up with their 60's cuts during Rock of Ages week.  I think on Monday I heard something that was a 1HW (can't recall it since) but everything since has been Beatles-Stones-CCR-Doors - major Hall of Fame stuff - sounds just like KFOX.  I think the closest thing to a rarity I heard all week (and working from home I've listened to many more hours this week than usual) was The Kingsmen.  >:( >:( >:(

Just played Sly & The Family Stone's "Stand".  Love that tune.  Also love the Liquid Jesus version off of the Pump Up The Volume soundtrack.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 25, 2008, 08:42:32 AM »

But the covers comp is pretty fab -- Shonen Knife's "Top of the World" is one of the great power-pop tracks of the last 2 years, IMHO.

That version of "Top of the World" has to go back further than 2 years.  We used it for my wife's section of our wedding reception slideshow back in 2002.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 25, 2008, 08:46:44 AM »

That version of "Top of the World" has to go back further than 2 years.  We used it for my wife's section of our wedding reception slideshow back in 2002.

Sorry, typo: meant to say "last 20 years"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 25, 2008, 09:19:04 AM »

well, here's the Byrds' "So You Wanna Be a R'R Star", one you don't hear every day. If they'd followed it with Patti Smith's cover I'd've had an orgasm.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 25, 2008, 09:37:08 AM »
Duffy just blew the studio crew away with "Mercy" -- have mercy indeed!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 25, 2008, 09:40:12 AM »
Duffy just blew the studio crew away with "Mercy" -- have mercy indeed!

and now she's doing a cover of Otis' "These Arms of Mine"!