Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1093262 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #705 on: December 27, 2007, 10:57:25 AM »

Turns out Dave was the missing Winter brother:

ROTFLSHIPMP!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #706 on: December 27, 2007, 09:18:56 PM »

Turns out Dave was the missing Winter brother:

ROTFLSHIPMP!
looks like a cross between Danny Kirwan and Todd Rundgren.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 08, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »
I turned KFOG on this morning, wondering if they were going to revive the "Bowie Sings Elvis/Elvis Sings Bowie" call-in competition.  Instead they're talking about the presidential candidates, and Dave just asked someone if Kucinich wears a toupee.  *sigh*
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 08, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »
I turned KFOG on this morning, wondering if they were going to revive the "Bowie Sings Elvis/Elvis Sings Bowie" call-in competition.  Instead they're talking about the presidential candidates, and Dave just asked someone if Kucinich wears a toupee.  *sigh*

Earlier they got into a discussion about Pink's "Mr President" song (which is, what, 2 years old at this point?). They played it and Fogheads were complaining about it being "whiny" and "unfair". WTF?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:11:10 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 08, 2008, 09:12:38 PM »
For those who don't get the "KFOG E-mail" every week... it's that time of year again: "KFOG A-to-Z"  returns this Monday morning. They hinted that it will run nearly 2 weeks .  Last time they did it was late March/early April (?)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 10, 2008, 09:58:05 AM »
For those who don't get the "KFOG E-mail" every week... it's that time of year again: "KFOG A-to-Z"  returns this Monday morning. They hinted that it will run nearly 2 weeks .  Last time they did it was late March/early April (?)

Is it me, or are they doing a lot more promotion on A-to-Z this time around than they have in past years?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 10, 2008, 10:33:59 AM »

Is it me, or are they doing a lot more promotion on A-to-Z this time around than they have in past years?

Fer sher!  But not only that, the promo they are using is almost completely ILLOGICAL!!!!.  They got all the main deejays, even Rosalie, doing little clips, and everyone except Big Rick says something about 'randomness' or 'unpredictability'.  How the F*** you can call an alphabetical list 'random' is completely beyond me.  Yo, KFOG promo guy, 'random' & 'alphabetical' are polar opposites!!!  And they are clearly missing the point about unpredictability.  As a deejay they see the next song on the list and think 'wow, cool, I get to play that next.'  But we listeners have more of a love/hate relationship, because during normal programming we really never know what will come next, but because of the A-Z format this is the one time of the year that we are tempted to even try guessing: sometimes we will be right, sometimes we will be surprised that some other song alphabetically preceeds the one we were thinking of, and sometimes we will be bummed that the song we had in mind got skipped.  But the beauty of it is that with every song played the game starts over again.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Can anyone roll tape tomorrow (1/13) AM for Acoustic Sunrise?
« Reply #712 on: January 12, 2008, 05:22:08 PM »
I'm going to try to set a timer tonight, but in case of a mechanical or software failure, could I get a  backup please?

Reason why will be revealed tomorrow afternoon/evening. :-}

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 12, 2008, 09:37:19 PM »
Fer sher!  But not only that, the promo they are using is almost completely ILLOGICAL!!!!.  They got all the main deejays, even Rosalie, doing little clips, and everyone except Big Rick says something about 'randomness' or 'unpredictability'.  How the F*** you can call an alphabetical list 'random' is completely beyond me.  Yo, KFOG promo guy, 'random' & 'alphabetical' are polar opposites!!!  And they are clearly missing the point about unpredictability.  As a deejay they see the next song on the list and think 'wow, cool, I get to play that next.'  But we listeners have more of a love/hate relationship, because during normal programming we really never know what will come next, but because of the A-Z format this is the one time of the year that we are tempted to even try guessing: sometimes we will be right, sometimes we will be surprised that some other song alphabetically preceeds the one we were thinking of, and sometimes we will be bummed that the song we had in mind got skipped.  But the beauty of it is that with every song played the game starts over again.
Short of true randomness, alphabetical is very random.  Songs have no reason to be played next to each other, save for the title of the song, but I guess you know that, so I guess I'm not getting it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 12, 2008, 10:59:13 PM »
Short of true randomness, alphabetical is very random.  Songs have no reason to be played next to each other, save for the title of the song, but I guess you know that, so I guess I'm not getting it.

Well, I have to agree with mshray that an alphabetical ordering is absolutely not a random ordering.  It is entirely predictable -- if you know the contents of the list they are going to play, and the rules by which they are going to alphabetise (and, if they don't screw up and break the said rules).  So, for the listener and probably the jocks too, there is unpredictability in that we don't know the exact contents of the list, and might be pleasantly surprised by a track they only play once or twice a year. 

I agree with Geoff though that an alphabetical ordering has much the same effect on the listener as a true random ordering -- as long as the listener doesn't get caught up in the titles of the songs.   I get much the same experience listening to my ipod starting on some letter of the songs list and listening in alphabetical order as I do when I listen to the shuffle.  The musical experience can be filled with surprises in either case, as songs compliment (or clash) with each other in unexpected ways. 

I love my iPod.  I don't know how I lived so long without one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:00:44 PM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 13, 2008, 01:38:43 PM »
I love my iPod.  I don't know how I lived so long without one.
well, I wondered how it went for you.  As I recall you got a new Nano; have you filled it up yet?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone roll tape tomorrow (1/13) AM for Acoustic Sunrise?
« Reply #716 on: January 13, 2008, 01:41:03 PM »
I'm going to try to set a timer tonight, but in case of a mechanical or software failure, could I get a  backup please?

I certainly missed i as I just noticed this post, but I did hear a few cool tunes.  They played a live version of "Before The Deluge" I really dug, and the new Mindy Smith version of Jolene, which our band is going to play at the hospital on Groundhog's Day.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone roll tape tomorrow (1/13) AM for Acoustic Sunrise?
« Reply #717 on: January 13, 2008, 10:50:49 PM »

I certainly missed i as I just noticed this post, but I did hear a few cool tunes.  They played a live version of "Before The Deluge" I really dug, and the new Mindy Smith version of Jolene, which our band is going to play at the hospital on Groundhog's Day.

Sorry Darryl, I just saw your post as well, and so missed recording AS altogether. Hope your setup ran correctly and the backup wasn't needed.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 14, 2008, 09:18:55 PM »
Hi everyone -- no worries.  My taping worked.  Yeah, I dig that version of Jolene by Mindy Smith.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 14, 2008, 11:52:27 PM »
So yeah, here's what I was trying to record:

http://www.darryl.com/acousticluke.mp3

:-}